General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06 Mustang gt transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:29 PM
RBA84

Default 06 Mustang gt transmission

So a little less than a yr has gone by since my transmission stopped working right... been tryi g to figure out if I need to replace it or if it's a smaller fix. It's a 06 GT automatic. It's got use of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears but wont drive normal. Theres no reverse or drive?!?
Any suggestions/ advice?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:07 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Odd that it won't go into 1st in "D" but does if you put it in "1"? You said you have use of
1,2, and 3, but "D" starts in 1.

Reverse and 1st gear run off the same drum.
The low/reverse planetary gearset is connected to the reverse brake drum by lugs from the low/reverse brake drum to the lugs of the low/reverse planetary gearset.
The low/reverse planetary gearset is driven by the forward sun gear which is splined to the input shell.
The forward sun gear drives the pinions in the low/reverse planetary gearset.
The pinions of the low/reverse planetary gearset drive the output shaft ring gear and output shaft hub which is splined to the output shaft.
The low/reverse planetary gearset can be held by the low one-way clutch in the low/reverse brake drum, or by the low/reverse band.

REVERSE/LOW BAND:

Old 10-10-2018, 06:10 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Here are some other diagrams for you to look at:
http://www.ratiotek.com/5r55w-complete.pdf
Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 AM
RBA84

Hey, thanks for the Info!! I will def look into this more!!! Again thanks alot!! 👍👍
Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

Have you considered a Reman'd transmission from PowerTrain Products? It may be easier to just swap it out and send in your core.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Odd that it won't go into 1st in "D" but does if you put it in "1"? You said you have use of
1,2, and 3, but "D" starts in 1.

Reverse and 1st gear run off the same drum.
The low/reverse planetary gearset is connected to the reverse brake drum by lugs from the low/reverse brake drum to the lugs of the low/reverse planetary gearset.
The low/reverse planetary gearset is driven by the forward sun gear which is splined to the input shell.
The forward sun gear drives the pinions in the low/reverse planetary gearset.
The pinions of the low/reverse planetary gearset drive the output shaft ring gear and output shaft hub which is splined to the output shaft.
The low/reverse planetary gearset can be held by the low one-way clutch in the low/reverse brake drum, or by the low/reverse band.

REVERSE/LOW BAND:

It may be related to a failing transmission range sensor or one that is misaligned. When the transmission is in 'D' it relies fully on the various solenoids to control the fluid flow paths to select the correct gear. When you manually put it into a gear the manual valve position bypasses all of the interaction and just opens that pathway/selects that solenoid.

https://www.valvebodypros.com/assets...ngagements.pdf
Old 10-11-2018, 03:57 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

SO, basically in "D", he says, it's fully electronically controlled. When in selecting 1, and upshifting
manually, your bypassing the programming for manual control. However, it will upshift auotomatically
each time it hits the rev limiter.

So, yep, check the range sensor at the trans for a loose wire, bad connection, and so on.

Also, though, you should be able to go through 1,2,3, then "D" for 4th and over-drive. If it fails
as soon as you his "D" when manually shifting, then I would definitely check the range
sensor.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Everything you said except the last part shifting at red line. This transmission will not up shift to the next gear it you have manually selected a gear. It will just bounce off the rev limiter and violently cut the fuel on/off once it hits redline.unless you manualyl raise the gear or put into drive.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:40 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Will try that... Every car I have owned, thus far, even if I put it into 1, will up-shift at the
rev limiter. My charger did it, my VWs did, my 2000 AVenger ES did... I have not really
RAN my Mustang to find out, but I will now... My VWs and the Charger had the auto-stick,
the +/- bump shifting, and still, when I leave them in 1, as soon as I hit the rev limit, they up-shifted.
My '15 TSI does it now. So, yeah, will see what my '08 does if I leave it in "1" and I will video
if it up-shifts anyway...
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Oh, I'll save you the trouble, it won't. Done it many times accidently and it isn't graceful nor fun. It's 's cringe worthy. These arent like the 5r55e in the thunderbirds that had the manushift option and i believe will do that. (Upshift automatically at redline regardless of what gear you're in).

Quick Reply: 06 Mustang gt transmission