Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:36 PM
S197GT05

Lightbulb Motor suggestions

I知 running 525 at the wheels with the stock block. The shop that did my tune told me to start saving up for a block to handle it. I知 trying to decide between a block that will handle way more power but will still use my procharger kit. Any suggestions? Also I was thinking about taking my stock block and having someone install forged internals instead. Any suggestions on a shop that actually knows how to install them? If I go with a new block can I still use my cams, and intake manifold I put on? Basically what block can I get to handle way more power but use my heads and other bolt ons
Old 10-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The easiest solution is to swap in a set of forged pistons/rods into your existing engine, and upgrade to TSS billet oil pump gears.
Find the best engine builder you can near to your location to get it done.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:54 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Plenty of options in built shortblocks that will accept the 3V heads. Brenspeed, livernois MMR, several others.
And most machine shops can do the work of getting the pistons, rods and crank set up right, if you want to use your own block.

The real question is what do you consider "way more power"? and given that it is a procharger, I assume the power gains mostly come with increased RPM?
When going above the stock redline, I'd consider at least changing the valve springs to handle the higher RPMs.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 AM
S197GT05

I’m just trying to get some links to blocks that will be able to handle more boost and put down around 800 at the wheels, and any names of shops that Won’t mess up putting new internals together to handle that power if I want to use my stock block instead. What’s really the best option here for power that I can trust? I dont Trust any shops near me to put internals in without messing it up.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed has the B326 http://www.brenspeed.com/b326.html
Livernois has powerstorm series https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750116
MMR http://www.modularmotorsportsracing....roducts_id=343

That should give you some idea. I believe Brenspeed does iron block only, Livernois is an aluminum block, MMR is iron block as base but allows upgrade to aluminum block.
I don't have any sources for rebuilds.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM
S197GT05

Thanks man. When it comes to a new block I don’t have a clue. With one of them will it take my same cams too? Might be a dumb question sorry haha
Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I believe I was one of the last few customers that brenspeed built my stock block up. When I was purchasing some of the parts for my engine build they were trying to sell me the 326 but I didn't go that route. I had them do all the work for me. As was already mentioned make sure you get billet gears in the oil pump. I know brenspeed has shop here in indiana. They also provide housing if you need to stay while the car is getting worked on. The housing is free. I had met a lady in the waiting room from Canada getting her car done. She stayed there and said it was nice and free.

MMR didn't have the best of reputations but maybe they are better now.

Its like any shop though they all get bashed by someone especially when the forums were really active.

Your best bet is to just call brenspeed and talk to them. Ask about the 326 stoker they got. I doubt you would be able to use your cams but I'm not sure.

Looks like your from PA so brenspeed wouldn't be that bad of a drive
Old 10-16-2018, 12:46 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

With a short block, you will bolt on your existing heads & cams, a long block would include those items and just be a full drop in replacement.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:31 PM
damiean75

Thumbs down on Brenspeed's B326 shortblock. My engine lasted roughly 2 months and threw a rod out of the side of the block. After tear down it was due to a spun bearing. Having multiple engine builders including Brenspeeds Manley engineers conclude the same diagnosis they gave me my money back "ONLY" for the shortblock which was covered under the 1 year warranty. Now what really bothers me & why I'm writing this up is because the attitude is if they are doing me a favor by refunding me my money. This problem is due to a "BUILD ISSUE" meaning not built properly, rather clearances not proper, wrong oil type (10w 40), Bolts not properly torqued, etc. Now I asked Brenspeed 3 times about the oil weight because my installer which is regionally known if not nationally with 25+ years experience said that oil is too thick however I need to use it since the builder required to keep warranty so we did. I am out $4000+ dollars even after they gave me my money back. They would not even pay return shipping because they wanted the block back, would not replace oil pump and Gears which I purchased from them, or anything else to maybe make things right as they advertise they stand behind their work & products. Extremely disappointed, if they wanted to make things right & really stood behind their work they could've easily said send us the car, we will replace engine & install on our dime since our build broke on you. I do not like the way they do business and it's noted. I researched the B326 prior & didn't see any negative reviews so this needs to be out there. Final thought I have learned alot about engine building since this happened so if anyone is in the position I was in DO NOT buy an engine from Brenspeed but go to a "HIGHLY" reputable builder in your area who truly stands behind their work. Not a company that mass produces engines and don't do the work with the attention to detail necessary for an excellent, reliable motor. Expensive lesson for me hope this helps. Cheers
Old 11-03-2020, 05:56 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i would purchase an engine from Brenspeed, if i needed one. they are known for
top quality work and top quality customer service.

sorry your situation happened, your feelings are noted for the record.

Quick Reply: Motor suggestions