General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Interior lights won't work

Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 PM
rjrbsn

Angry Interior lights won't work

Hello just bought a 2009 Mustang gt. Interior lights won't work when using the dash light/dimmer switch next to the headlights and won't work when opening or closing the doors. Bulbs are good and when power (external) to the power wire the lights in the upper console will light. No power to it otherwise. I can't find a specific fuse for the lights but ALL fuses that are in use are good and none blown. I'm thinking a factory connector or something like that. Does anyone know some troubleshooting tips I can use or the location of the factory connections that I can take apart and clean. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:37 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

SO, when you manually push one of the buttons on the upper console, the light(s) will come on,
but no other time. That means there is power to the lighting up there. The door opening, and
dimming off are controlled by the SBJ. Make sure it's BOTH doors that won't turn them on when
opening. IF it is just the driver door, then it's the sensor in the door. How about when you use
the keyfob to unlock the car, do the upper console lights turn on? Still no? Then something
is wrong with the SBJ, or a wire from it. These are prone to water damage from the cowl drains
clogging up, maybe the seller just didn't mention something.

The dimmer wheel on the headlamp switch does not control the upper console lighting, just the
dash and shifter indicator. You can manually wire a button or switch to it, and run it up to
the upper lighting console, but that wheel dimmer DOES NOT control those lights. I am selling
a headlamp switch assembly with a heavy duty metal toggle switch already installed, brand
new toggle, never wired it.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 10-16-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:48 AM
rjrbsn

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
SO, when you manually push one of the buttons on the upper console, the light(s) will come on,
but no other time. That means there is power to the lighting up there. The door opening, and
dimming off are controlled by the SBJ. Make sure it's BOTH doors that won't turn them on when
opening. IF it is just the driver door, then it's the sensor in the door. How about when you use
the keyfob to unlock the car, do the upper console lights turn on? Still no? Then something
is wrong with the SBJ, or a wire from it. These are prone to water damage from the cowl drains
clogging up, maybe the seller just didn't mention something.

The dimmer wheel on the headlamp switch does not control the upper console lighting, just the
dash and shifter indicator. You can manually wire a button or switch to it, and run it up to
the upper lighting console, but that wheel dimmer DOES NOT control those lights. I am selling
a headlamp switch assembly with a heavy duty metal toggle switch already installed, brand
new toggle, never wired it.
Thanks for the speedy reply. I misspoke. the dome lights will not come on via any manner. When I apply 12v to the alleged hot wire feeder they will operate normally. Without the direct application of the 12v they are dead. It sounds like the SBJ is going to be my issue anyhow but with your comments about the clogging it makes sense.
I have a similar issue with the power door locks in that to lock the vehicle both doors work from the key fob. To unlock the vehicle I have to use the key and only the passenger door will unlock. The actuator is new and works fine with direct application of power to the switch but not from the fob.
Yes the lights don't work when I unlock the doors with the fob. The only way they work is with the direct application to the incoming feed of the dome light with 12v.
I'm thinking the SBJ has a couple of more issues than I thought. I guess the easiest way is to dislocate it from the body and check each wire.
I bought it used from a dealership and they said nothing about it and I didn't notice it, my bad. Thanks for help it's appreciated.