4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Misfire issue PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Stel93

Default Misfire issue PLEASE HELP

Okay so I recently bought a 2003 Mustang GT with 142k miles. Took it home and it started to misfire , read the codes and it was misfiring in cylinder 1,2,6, and 8. So first thing i did was go to autozone and i replaces all plugs and coils (with Duramax brand) , started it up and it ran and drove like a new car. Then the misfire started to come back when i put pedal to the floor. No codes popped up but can tell there is still a misfire. Also when I’m around 1000-1500rpms it will hesitate a lot but stop if i give it more throttle. Any ideas what is going on???
Old 11-13-2018, 10:49 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

could be a dozen things. was there any coolant in the spark plug holes when you were pulling coils? no lean codes?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Stel93

Yes there was coolant in the holes and when i first checked the codes it said something about lean and my MAF sensor, i cleaned the maf and made sure my intake was on tight. Drove 200 miles so far and still no code for anything but still driving like **** and smells very gassy, I’m thinking maybe 02 sensors? The engine is running terrible but when I’m on highway at 70 or faster it runs just fine ?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Stel93

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
could be a dozen things. was there any coolant in the spark plug holes when you were pulling coils? no lean codes?

Yes there was coolant in the holes and when i first checked the codes it said something about lean and my MAF sensor, i cleaned the maf and made sure my intake was on tight. Drove 200 miles so far and still no code for anything but still driving like **** and smells very gassy, I’m thinking maybe 02 sensors? The engine is running terrible but when I’m on highway at 70 or faster it runs just fine ?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Intake is most likely toast, which can cause the coolant leak. coolant on coils can cause misfires and leaking intake will also cause lean condition and more misfires.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:47 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

Replace the intake with an ALL aluminum one, not that half aluminum/half plastic piece of crap Ford put on them. Look at a Trick Flow or a Bullitt intake from a 2001.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:14 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by ZEN357
Replace the intake with an ALL aluminum one, not that half aluminum/half plastic piece of crap Ford put on them. Look at a Trick Flow or a Bullitt intake from a 2001.
or spend 260$ and put a ford one back on there. The bullit intake requires modification to other components it isnt a direct swap. those all aluminum ones arent worth the money unless you are making big power (600+).

https://www.americanmuscle.com/intake-manifold.html
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Stel93

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Intake is most likely toast, which can cause the coolant leak. coolant on coils can cause misfires and leaking intake will also cause lean condition and more misfires.
you don’t think it’s an o2 sensor? My right tail pipe has a little bit more “smoke” coming out then the left, i live in Chicago so it’s cold lol
Old 11-15-2018, 01:08 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

02 sensor will not cause coolant to fill up the spark plug holes in the head......
Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Just get an oem (Ford Racing) replacement + gasket set. You're looking at about $300, a 6 pack and an afternoon. Very easy job, you can Google for any of the R&R procedure info or get a Haynes manual.

Do not buy a Dorman or any other replacement. Don't waste your time with a Bullitt manifold, as mentioned above there are additional things needed in order to make it work, plus there is the issue of cost and weight and heat soak. And definitely don't waste your time with any aftermarket "performance" oriented manifolds. They are great for engines where aftermarket heads, cams and longtubes are present and to a lesser extent f/i, but on a stock engine you will lose power from idle all the way to 5000 rpm.

Quick Reply: Misfire issue PLEASE HELP