4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

02 GT

Old 11-19-2018, 06:27 PM
cos12

Default 02 GT

Alright guys. I need some guidance. Recently was in accident and am needing to get into a car as quickly as possible. I had an 03 V6 some years back and literally never had an issue with anything through 215k I truly loved that car. Now, I’m trying to get back into a stang but I’m on a limited budget (currently in culinary school). Im currently eyeballing an 02 black GT with 82k miles on it. Two owners- the first an older gentlemen who supposedly parked in the garage everyday for years. The interior/exterior are both pristine, the car looks damn near off the manufacture line. I’m in need of a daily driver- maybe 25 miles a day, Monday thru Friday anyway. My question is is this a good idea? Lol. I know these cars are reliable I’m just curious what you guys expect to start needing replaced on a 16 year old car? I rebuild my first motor this summer on an 84 corvette- it was a hand me down- I didn’t pick it lol. Anyways, I’m no stranger to a wrench is what I’m getting at but just not sure what to expect? Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance! I’ll upload some photos- sorry for the book!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 PM
cos12

Originally Posted by cos12
Alright guys. I need some guidance. Recently was in accident and am needing to get into a car as quickly as possible. I had an 03 V6 some years back and literally never had an issue with anything through 215k I truly loved that car. Now, I’m trying to get back into a stang but I’m on a limited budget (currently in culinary school). Im currently eyeballing an 02 black GT with 82k miles on it. Two owners- the first an older gentlemen who supposedly parked in the garage everyday for years. The interior/exterior are both pristine, the car looks damn near off the manufacture line. I’m in need of a daily driver- maybe 25 miles a day, Monday thru Friday anyway. My question is is this a good idea? Lol. I know these cars are reliable I’m just curious what you guys expect to start needing replaced on a 16 year old car? I rebuild my first motor this summer on an 84 corvette- it was a hand me down- I didn’t pick it lol. Anyways, I’m no stranger to a wrench is what I’m getting at but just not sure what to expect? Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance! I’ll upload some photos- sorry for the book!

Old 11-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Looks nice! With mileage that low, I wouldn't expect any big problems for a while. Just regular maintenance. Fluids, brakes, tires, that sort of thing, as needed. At some point it will probably start squeaking up front to let you know that it's time to change the ball-joints. Nothing you can really do to prevent it, since the stock joints aren't greasable.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 PM
cos12

Thanks for the quick reply! I plan on being a maintinece freak if I do buy the car so it’s good to hear that there shouldn’t be any issues for a while. Thanks for the heads up on the ball joints. That’s a job I haven’t yet tackled before. I’m just hoping this car can be a daily driver for a couple years ish. I just moved halfway across the country two months ago and finances are tiiiight at the moment. So just hoping for something fun and equally as reliable. Plus, this has pretty much been my dream car since it came out lol
Old 11-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

These are very solid cars. With that mileage and a reasonable assumption that it's been well cared for I wouldn't expect any issues. Like said above there may be some little things here and there, mostly wearing parts but beyond that if the price is right then go for it.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:18 PM
cos12

Just an update guys, I bought the car! Went up to Vegas to get it and drove her back to Phoenix! My god, that motor feels so strong! I’ve been driving it for a couple of weeks now. The pulley system started squeaky a few days ago so I just replaced the belt and tensioner to take care of that. I’ve got tires coming in this week and just flushed and refilled the power steering fluid. I’m going to slowly start changing all the fluids out when I have time over the next couple of weeks. Hope all is well in everybody’s world!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Great! Glad it worked out!

If I may make a suggestion: I see that it's an automatic... As you're going around changing fluids, consider doing what's known as a "J-mod" to the valve body, if there's no history of it having already been done. It'll sharpen up the shifts a bit, and ultimately extend the life of the transmission. This can only be done while the transmission is drained of fluid, so if you're anticipating a fluid change, I'd highly recommend putting that on your list.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 PM
cos12

Thanks, Urambo! I’m glad too lol. The J-Mod, is never heard of it until you just mentioned it. I did some research- how fascinating that one of the lead engineers would end up coming back to say “noooo it should be this way” lol. I’ve literally never done physical trans work before. I read through how to do it and it seems pretty straight forward. Do you think I’d be in over my head tackling that? I’d just hate to do something incorrectly and not know until I put it all back together. If there’s anybody in the Phoenix area that’s done this and what’s to help a brother out, gimme a shout lol. Thanks guys.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

It's not awfully complicated, but it is IMPORTANT to follow the directions to a T. Don't use drill bits that you think are "close enough" in size to what it calls for. Be honest about how much power the car has, and don't get too excited opening up the separator plate holes any larger than they need to be. I used the "mild" settings on my old '96 T-bird, and couldn't be happier with the results.