Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tire brand

Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default Tire brand

I have asked this question before but I am asking again. What brand of tires are you using? I need to get my car inspected this month so I am in the market for 4 tires. I am considering Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S or Hancook Ventus S1 Noble 2. What are your thoughts and suggestions please? My Ford dealer told me that they could match the prices that I get.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ford may be able to price match the purchase price but they will not include free balance/rotations or flat repair for the life of the tire. You will need to pay for that every time. I'd stick with Discount Tire or BigO tires for that reason.

Anyways, i'm partial to Nitto but then I only ever need to purchase Summer tires. Sorry I can't help there.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:28 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I'm actually partial to good tires like Michelin.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:21 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i have always used my local Discount Tire and ran BFGs (summer only) for the last 3 times they have been replaced.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Michelin!!
I have Nitto now, but next summer I will be returning to Michelin
Old 12-06-2018, 07:00 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

I'm running GoodYears 3-Season Performance Tires on my Baby and Falkens All Seasonal on my Daily Driver. The one tire I always stay away from because I have never had any luck with them are B.F. Goodrich. They only got half of the mileage they said I would get out of them. My Father swore by Michelin's and my daily driver was his car that I bought from him. The Michelins wore like iron and in fact the dry rotted on the car and I had to replace them with Falkens. They were on the car for 9 years.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I have asked this question before but I am asking again. What brand of tires are you using? I need to get my car inspected this month so I am in the market for 4 tires. I am considering Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S or Hancook Ventus S1 Noble 2. What are your thoughts and suggestions please? My Ford dealer told me that they could match the prices that I get.
I have Michelins on 2 of my 3 cars. Depending on which car and the time of year, they're either Pilot Super Sports or Pilot Sport All-Seasons. Unless you autocross or do track days, the PS-A/S tire is probably your best choice.

The Super Sports don't work so well in snow, and the PS All-seasons don't give up much to the Super Sports in street levels of cornering and braking performance. The PS all-seasons on her car are into their 9th and final winter before replacement due to age (yeah, I know I've stretched this a bit). Tread depth is still more than adequate after what I'm guessing is about 30,000 miles, and I'm going to note here that I don't drive her car any more gently than I do the Mustang in its street driving. IOW, harder than most in the corners and on the brakes being "normal use".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-06-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

On my other two vehicles I have Michelin. I have always put Michelin on my cars but they aren't cheap. I had considered it for my Mustang however with only 13k miles on the car, I don't drive it that much. Only on sunny pretty days, never in the rain or snow so I don't have to worry about adverse weather. I can't see spending that much on tires when I won't be driving it all the time.
It's ashamed that I had to keep the car outside from 2006-2016, however it was covered. Because of that, the sidewalls on the Pirellie's started to dry rot. The treads are like new, still have the "nipples" on it but with dry rot, it will not pass inspection. Now that the car is in my garage, hopefully the new tires will last a lot longer.
I can get a set of Hancook Ventus S1 Noble 2 for around $400. at Walmart. That is with a associates discount. They do offer road hazard protection for $10 more per tire. They are cheaper than Discount Tire.
Sam's Club has Eagle Sport A/S for $499.96 plus the $60.00 tire install. I believe they do balance and rotate for life and will cover road hazards with that price.
Good to know about Ford's policy, but I will ask since the person who said they could price match is also the service manager. She has always taken good care of me and my Mustang.
Let me take another look at Michelins.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Took another look at what Discount Tires had to offer with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. It is $684.00 out the door including life time balancing, air pressure and road hazards. There is a $70.00 rebate going on right now so the total will come down. I know it is way more than the other brands, however I have trusted Michelin for over 40 years and they have always prevailed. Heck on my 1982 Mustang, I got a nail in the sidewall. The tire shop said had it been ANY other brand they would not have fixed it! I asked my Ford service friend and she was able to match the price per tire but couldn't match the care package.
Thanks for y'alls (yes, I am from the south) input. It reassured me of my decision.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:59 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Using Goodyear Eagle RS-A 235/55/17 on ours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire brand