Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

08 GT - help with leak?

Old 01-02-2019, 12:33 PM
jkmhb

Default 08 GT - help with leak?

Hello,

I have a 2008 GT, manual transmission, 123K Miles on it. I have a leak that is coming out the bottom, where the bellhousing meets the back of the motor. I was thinking it was the TR3650 manual trans (it kind of looks thick like trans fluid), but if it were leaking out the input shaft, there is a hole in the bellhousing about 3" back from where it meets the back of the motor - would it leak there instead? Any ideas to try narrowing it down? After about a week, it leaks a puddle the size of a dollar bill on the garage floor........
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:57 PM
jkmhb

I wanted to add - Coolant is disappearing also, but not too quickly.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:02 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

There is still a rear seal on the trans. My former HHR started leaking back there
before I sold it. It will only get worse, till it slings on the clutch, and ruins it.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:04 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Post a photo of the fluid puddle so we can get a proper look. If it's dark brown or blackish, it's probably engine oil leaking from the crankshaft rear main seal.
If it's cherry colored, that's tranny fluid leaking from the input shaft seal.
As for the coolant leak, check all the hoses and connections, and look under the front of the engine below the water pump for any telltale signs.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:48 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You can SMELL trans fluid, oil, or coolant. That's why they have their
smells, so you can tell what it is. Dab your finger in it, and take a
whiff...
Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 PM
jkmhb

Thanks so far!

Unfortunately, my "smell" cannot tell the difference between gear oil from the manual transmission or motor oil.

The fluid is clearish light brown. I do know my manual transmission does not have Cherry Red fluid in it. That would make it easy.

Does the TR3650 manual have a front seal on the input shaft? I could not find a replacement so far....

I will take a picture once there is an accumulation again. I cleaned it up day before yesterday and it was raining yesterday and today.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jkmhb
I wanted to add - Coolant is disappearing also, but not too quickly.
To check for a coolant leak, check here: My 08 had this but any 05-2010 could. I couldn't figure out where/how I was losing coolant but noticed there was a strong musty sock smell (coolant smell). Sometimes I even would get a couple of drops on our garage floor directly under the tranny belhousing.

The video incorrectly mentions a dorman part number that has a 5/8 nipple and to use 5/8 hose. Ford uses 3/4 inch so you can image the PITA trying to squeeze 5/8 over a 3/4 nipple on the other (no repaired) end.

You don't have to remove the intake to inspect it. Just grab a strong flashlight and you can look down between the alternator and intake on the passenger side. You'll notice water/coolant stains and/or wetness there. The drain for that area is...over the bellhousing. If you have a leak there use Motorcraft Kt-92 for the elbow and 3/4 inch heater hose. You will need to remove the intake manifold to fix the leak.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:28 PM
jkmhb

I'm suspecting this for the coolant leak, and will check under the manifold tonight.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:33 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jkmhb
The fluid is clearish light brown. I do know my manual transmission does not have Cherry Red fluid in it.
That's almost certainly engine oil from a leaking crank rear main seal since your tranny should contain Mercon V ATF which is red.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 01-04-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM
jkmhb

I need to disclose - at about 50K miles, I changed the manual transmission oil and used Redline MT fluid (I don't remember the viscosity, but I do remember it was not red like ATF). It was recommended on this very forum, but I don't remember Which Redline oil, and since I no longer live near a Redline dealer, I won't likely use it next time (and it is overdue).

Also checked this morning, after 85 miles so far this week, I have NO gear oil leaks (or leaks of any type) on the garage floor. Looking under the manifold with a flashlight, I do see a small Antifreeze leak.

But in the past, there was definitely a leak of some type of oil onto my Garage floor from this car. I'm even more confused now, how can I have a (decent size) leak, that I cleaned up twice, and then it stops? I know it is not out of Engine oil, and the trans holds over 3 quarts, it did not leak that much. Everything works fine....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 GT - help with leak?