Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

2006 v6 low oil level, what could go wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 AM
ZILVIS

Default 2006 v6 low oil level, what could go wrong

Hi, just got delivered a 2006 4.0 v6. Guy who delivered it drove about 150miles and he didn't check the oil. He just trusted system check button and oil pressure gauge, but today when the car was delivered i checked oil level and it was on the very end of dipstick and i've added 3liters of oil to reach the middle of oil level mark. Engine works without any noises pressure is good and was good before with not moch oil in the engine. But noticed "low engine pressure" message when starting in cold it is about - 8 degrees celsius. I can shut down engine immidiately after starting and there will be no message. Should i be worried about engine damage?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

That's reasonable to be concerned. You needed to add a little more than half of what should have been in there already (5 US quarts). If it runs and drives good now though then its probably okay, for now, but it begs the question of 'how long' has the car been that low on oil. Have you noticed any oil leaks yet anywhere on the ground or underneath the car? I am just curious why it was that low on oil in the first place.

What does the engine coolant look like, is it milky or dark at all?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ZILVIS
Hi, just got delivered a 2006 4.0 v6. Guy who delivered it drove about 150miles and he didn't check the oil. He just trusted system check button and oil pressure gauge, but today when the car was delivered i checked oil level and it was on the very end of dipstick and i've added 3liters of oil to reach the middle of oil level mark. Engine works without any noises pressure is good and was good before with not moch oil in the engine. But noticed "low engine pressure" message when starting in cold it is about - 8 degrees celsius. I can shut down engine immidiately after starting and there will be no message. Should i be worried about engine damage?
-8 C is below freezing (17F). What weight of oil you using? if it's pretty cold all day long I would recommend a 0W-20 or 0w-30 in that weather. a 5w-20 or 5w-30 will be a higher viscocity at that temp when cold so, it will take a second or two longer for oil pressure to build up. The light being on for a second or two I would consider normal under those conditions.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:30 PM
ZILVIS

I've added 5w30 for now, engine starts and runs good. No adtitional noises, just a little from belt tensioner. Engine coolant was gone too. Added about 3 liters on cold engine above resrvoir and ran few kilometers. At one point engine started to build up heat very quickly and i stopped but didn't turn off the engine then temperature dropped to middle of the gauge and stayed there. Now as i came home engine was hot but level in the resevoir was below cold mark. Maybe it bleeded air that was in the system (i hope so). Now i'm waiting for engine to cool down a bit and i'll try to see if there is any oil or other dirt in coolant. Car delivery guy said that there was an oil on the oil pan and he cleaned it and there were no leaks after that. I don't believe him 100% so i will check for that too. We are having very heavy snow and i think i'll notice if it's leaking on the ground. Oil pressure is stable at all times when engine is running. Also no smoke or smell of burning oil.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM
ZILVIS

Originally Posted by Derf00
-8 C is below freezing (17F). What weight of oil you using? if it's pretty cold all day long I would recommend a 0W-20 or 0w-30 in that weather. a 5w-20 or 5w-30 will be a higher viscocity at that temp when cold so, it will take a second or two longer for oil pressure to build up. The light being on for a second or two I would consider normal under those conditions.
Yes it is freezing and there is lots of ice. We are expecting - 20 C in a few days and i will be driving 4wd car because tracktion control is getting crazy in the mustang and begging for mustang not to get stuck until i reach main roads when i'm driving it. So for now i want prepare it for spring. I've added 5W30 to see if it is dissapearing somewhere and it may clean the engine a little bit, because i will change it with a new oil filter and oil in a few weeks.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You should have higher pressure when it's cold. You will see the pressure lower
as the engine heats up. My son ran my 4.3 Vortec engine to just measurable on the
tip of the dipstick. He, and I am not kidding, thought you put the oil in it when it
got used up, like GAS. Almost destroyed the motor, but I caught it in time! IT took 3
quarts, but it's still running good, my other son has it now... I ask him every time I see
him, if he's keeping after the oil. It does have a leak, slow one... 2006 Silverado...

In the end, who ever sold and delivered the vehicle would be responsible for damages.
Fun part, is proving and prosecuting it...

Anyhow, the ONE kid checked the oil, but as I said, he never put any in with the low
readings, because for some ungodly reason, he thought you put oil in it when you
got no reading on the dip-stick. He thought engines use oil like gas, and I don't know
how or why he was under that impression; that you fill it up again when it's OUT of
oil... Good thing he gave it back when he did, else he would have blown the engine.
He even said the reading came on, low engine oil, and asked if THAT means it's
time to put oil in it. I was like, WHAT THE F'k? NO! That usually means, it's too
late.. I was so pissed off, but thank god the engine was okay...
Old 01-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
You should have higher pressure when it's cold. You will see the pressure lower
as the engine heats up. My son ran my 4.3 Vortec engine to just measurable on the
tip of the dipstick. He, and I am not kidding, thought you put the oil in it when it
got used up, like GAS. Almost destroyed the motor, but I caught it in time! IT took 3
quarts, but it's still running good, my other son has it now... I ask him every time I see
him, if he's keeping after the oil. It does have a leak, slow one... 2006 Silverado...

In the end, who ever sold and delivered the vehicle would be responsible for damages.
Fun part, is proving and prosecuting it...

Anyhow, the ONE kid checked the oil, but as I said, he never put any in with the low
readings, because for some ungodly reason, he thought you put oil in it when you
got no reading on the dip-stick. He thought engines use oil like gas, and I don't know
how or why he was under that impression; that you fill it up again when it's OUT of
oil... Good thing he gave it back when he did, else he would have blown the engine.
He even said the reading came on, low engine oil, and asked if THAT means it's
time to put oil in it. I was like, WHAT THE F'k? NO! That usually means, it's too
late.. I was so pissed off, but thank god the engine was okay...
Kids are great aren't they?