Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Default Throttle response

I just read the article about bending the brushes in the throttle module, so I checked mine out, and it seems I have a different module than pictured in the article. Mine is a 2012 3.7 vert. But it looks different. There are no screws so I can’t open it to get to the brushes. Does anyone know if they changed the module in the 2012’s? I’m the 2nd. Owner. Bought the car 3 years ago from a woman who drove it sparingly, so I doubt she changed anything. I did put BBK short tubes on and have CAI, 3.73’s and 93 race tune, and still have a little lag.... can’t get those tires to spin! What do you think?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:10 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

According to Ford Parts Website, the same throttle body is used for 2011-2014 v6 Mustangs. Part number AT4Z-9E926-B.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:13 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thanks David, but I’m talking about the throttle module, not the throttle body. The module is that little black box that’s connected to the gas peddle inside the cabin that sends the commands to the engine. Mine is different than the one in the “how to” section.... BTW, I put in a BBK 73mm tb 2 years ago.... thanks anyway David!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Floorguy
I just read the article about bending the brushes in the throttle module, so I checked mine out, and it seems I have a different module than pictured in the article. Mine is a 2012 3.7 vert. But it looks different. There are no screws so I can’t open it to get to the brushes. Does anyone know if they changed the module in the 2012’s? I’m the 2nd. Owner. Bought the car 3 years ago from a woman who drove it sparingly, so I doubt she changed anything. I did put BBK short tubes on and have CAI, 3.73’s and 93 race tune, and still have a little lag.... can’t get those tires to spin! What do you think?
Auto or manual? For an Auto you'll need to drop it manually to first and turn OFF traction control. Otherwise you won't get them to spin. For a Manual, you might get some spin but Traction control will kick in the limiters to prevent it and may or may not blink the traction light. So, turn off traction control.

As for bending the tabs on the throttle pedal position sensor, it's very easy to damage and I'm not completely familiar with your year so I can't advise.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thanks Derf00, but tried that, and still nothing! I heard mpt 93 race tune is more aggressive than Bama, I might give that a shot! Btw, it’s an auto!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 PM
JimC

On the 2013+ due to the torque management system built in you need a tune to do a burnout. I don't think that the 2012 had the same torque management though
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Floorguy
Back when the TPS was held on externally by two screws, you could remove the TPS, oval out the holes
so you could turn it to advance the TPS to reduce that lag. This is basically what you're doing when you
open it up to move the brushes. You do not need to do this anymore, most tuners have an adjust to make
it touchy. My InTune 1000 has a TPS advance or retard you can set...

You can also calibrate or RE calibrate the throttle body.
Pull the negative battery cable.
Jump the + side to the removed negative side to discharge the entire system (it may spark), leave the jumper on for about 3-5 minutes to deplete the capacitors that keeps power to VRAM with the learned values.
Put the negative terminal back on.
Then, make sure all accessories off, lights, fans, A/V, heat, radio (amps are off when radio is off),
Key on, wait for the cluster to time out.
Start the vehicle, and idle for 10-15 minutes to operating temp. Do not throttle the the engine to get to operating temp.

When at operating temp, wait about 5 more minutes so it learns cold and hot idle trim values. A FORD scan tool will verify it
is learning, and has has learned the cold and hot idle trims, but it not needed (why you wait after it's at operating temperature),
it is in the parameters for the throttle angle. When at full hot, the throttle trim should bottom out at 0.57 degrees HOT, which is
shown with the scan tool. Then, all your acceleration values are based upwards off the set hot idle angle.

ETC_TRIM will display where it is, and ETC_LRN will set "Yes" when it has learned the base idle trim. It can happen as early as 0.61, but
as you wait, it will go down, and should set at around 0.57.

After about 5-10 minutes from HOT.

It would also show you where it is at (ETC_ACT), and where it is desired (ETC_DSD), the desired should not be more than .05
degrees ahead of actual. SO, if it's at 1.87, but DSD shows 1.90, then you're good.

After about 5-10 minutes HOT.

Drive the vehicle at various speed so the PCM learns shift points.

This is a general FORD relearn procedure.

As far as taking them apart, there should be four torx scews... I have seen some cheap china aftermarket
ones that do not have the screws on them. Don't know how they come apart...

The 5.0s have an aftermarket "fast" 87mm TB unit. It has as quicker response motor...

The "Jet" TB unit has clips that hold the plastic cover on.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Wow!! That’s a lot to digest!! I doubt I can handle that!! But I might try it if all else fails. I have a Bama 93 race tune, but I think first I’ll try gonna try MPT’S race tune, heard they are a lot better. CAI, throttle body, 3.73’s and short tube headers, I think I should be able to leave some rubber from a dead stop!! I’ll keep trying!!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Here's a vid to clear the ECM/PCM as suggested (Recalibrate the throttle body) using a jumper wire.
https://ru-clip.net/video/hZAsoqmqhd...r-repairs.html
Old 02-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thanks Derf00!! Much clearer now!! Can this be done with my Bama 93race tune loaded, or do I return to stock then reload the tune?? .... on a side note, I’m probably going to get an MPT race tune! Hear that they are better than the Bama for 3.7

Quick Reply: Throttle response