Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Catback advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:00 AM
junksecret

Default Catback advice

I just picked up a 2010 GT that has an existing cat back modified exhaust. I don't know what brand It is, but it is LOUD. I don't mind the volume much, although I wouldn't mind not making quite so many enemies in my neighborhood, but the bigger problem is a very loud drone when cruising at some lower RPMs that actually makes conversations and radio difficult. I'm wondering if there is a solution other than replacing the entire cat back, and if not can anyone suggest a tamer cat back that won't cost me a ton of cash?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Does the car still have the stock cats?
If you can get a photo of the mufflers we might be able to identify them.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

The biggest problem with cat back exhaust is that it replaces your resonators which reduce drone and tame the sound. Your best solution is to have a muffler shop install a couple of resonators just behind the x-pipe.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 AM
junksecret

Yes, still has stock Cats....
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
junksecret

I'll try and get a photo up soon, I just picked up the car yesterday, havent even got it on a lift yet,but getting tires tomorrow, so should be able to get decent pics then, thx!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
The biggest problem with cat back exhaust is that it replaces your resonators which reduce drone and tame the sound. Your best solution is to have a muffler shop install a couple of resonators just behind the x-pipe.
The 10 GT didn't come with resonators. Just a catted H-pipe and catbacks with chambered mufflers. The OP's car probably has straight--through mufflers and those tend to drone in the 1500-2000rpm range.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 AM
junksecret

Thx!

I'm hoping to get it up in the air in the next cpl of days and I'll post some pics. I had my initial shakedown drive today and several more issues seemed to surface, so I'm subject to ask for more advice as my 1st Mustang ownership experience evolves.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 PM
junksecret

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
The 10 GT didn't come with resonators. Just a catted H-pipe and catbacks with chambered mufflers. The OP's car probably has straight--through mufflers and those tend to drone in the 1500-2000rpm range.
Thanks Dino,

I didn't get it up in the air but I had a muffler shop take a look and he confirmed cats are there, H-pipe and straight through mufflers. He suggested switching to an X-pipe and magnaflow chambered mufflers as you suggested. I may get it done tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

X pipe also changes the tone of the exhaust.

X is typically the angry bumble bee buzzing sounding (Think Nissan G series at WOT) vs H which is more a car growl (muscle car). It has to do with the firing order, the way the sound waves bounce off each other in the exhaust system, and the air flow characteristics of the crossover itself.

If you have a drone, the best way to address it is by changing the mufflers. Keep in mind most aftermarket systems will drone, just at different RPMs. That's the price you pay for volume and sound.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
X pipe also changes the tone of the exhaust.

X is typically the angry bumble bee buzzing sounding (Think Nissan G series at WOT) vs H which is more a car growl (muscle car).
It depends on which mufflers you have as well. I have the FRPP X-pipe and the car still has the same growl with no rasp whatsoever. Mufflers are from an 07-09 GT500.

Quick Reply: Catback advice