General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Loose wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 02:03 PM
jt1991!

Default Loose wire

Does anyone have any idea what this loose wire is that is hanging near my battery? It hooks to a bolt going into the body and is part of another wire that then goes back inside the car to something. Somebody told me this is a ground wire for the EEC, and I need to connect a 14g or 16 wire to it and then connect it to the negative side of my battery. Something used to be connected there, because it has a blue splicer connected to it. After the wire leaves where it's connected to the body, it then leads down and around and there is another part that looks like a fuse holder and then continues onto inside the other maze of wires.

Is that true?
What would that do?

Old 02-19-2019, 02:33 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

It is aftermarket installed by the previous owner. No telling what it is. Does everything seem to work properly? I could have gone to an alarm system or some other aftermarket installed device.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:53 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Just someone's ground spot... You will not see a barrel crimp connector come from the
factory, so it HAD to have been added. Some negative and positive battery cables you buy
after the fact, may also have a spare connection for you, and it will be one of those crimp
connectors. NEVER from the factory...
Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 AM
jt1991!

Default Loose wire

So if I was to connect the smaller ground wire from the battery cable to this, it could screw something up.
I AM the original owner and I don't remember adding this and since the car is 33 years old, I don't remember if the "smaller" negative battery cable was attached to it or not. The only problem I have with the car is that it wants to stall and stutter a couple of times until it warms up, then it warms up and runs fine (except my gas mileage stinks)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:24 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Interesting. That random looking red wire doesn't look OE either.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by jt1991!
So if I was to connect the smaller ground wire from the battery cable to this, it could screw something up.
I AM the original owner and I don't remember adding this and since the car is 33 years old, I don't remember if the "smaller" negative battery cable was attached to it or not. The only problem I have with the car is that it wants to stall and stutter a couple of times until it warms up, then it warms up and runs fine (except my gas mileage stinks)
Not the negative cable, it's a GROUND... That will have no effect on your rough idle when cold,
as you said, it's 33 years old... Some one added it, and what about the other lone wire running
behind the battery? SO, wires were run for something, and that empty barrel connector is a ground.
When the wires rust, and with the vibrations of the car, the wires fray, then break, and fall right out
of those connectors if they're not taped or coated with silicone. So, if there is a crimp in that open
end, the wire fell out. I use liquid electrical tape, and paint all my connections with it now, or use
clear flex-seal and spray them.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM
jt1991!

Default Loose wire

The small red wire running behind the battery was put there by me years ago hook up a device that needed a small amount of power and it's hooked up to the positive terminal.
I looked at several other vehicles that have EFI and they all have a small negative wire coming from the main negative battery terminal and is hooked up to either the main body or hooked up to similar to the drawing I included below that's labeled 86-93 Mustang OEM style ground cable---I have no such hookup with my negative battery cable. Since that barrel connector doesn't seem to be where I would hook the small "2nd" battery cable, should I just make one and hook it to someplace on the body to make ground for my EEC system? See https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/mustangforums.com-vbulletin/400x236/batt_neg_eec_af6adbe0c19867886559f5345ef2797a0b921 be7.gif

According to this, if I don't have a wire hooked up from the main battery terminal to the body and then routing off to EEC harness ground, then certain systems or sensors on my car won't be activated--which too me could at least be part of the reason for the lousy gas mileage or the stalling when I first start it when I start it first thing in the morning or after it has had time to "cool down".

Not trying to dwell on the problem, but just trying to figure out what's causing the above problems and if the EEC is not activating certain sensors, it could be the cause of the problems. I've replaced several of the sensors that were original--and the cold start ups are better, but not like it should be--especially the gas mileage (I just drove about 100 miles around the city and it used about 1/2 tank of gas--and that's way too low)

Thanks!!!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Your link says Page not found...

I don't have any other grounds like that on my (-) battery cable, and everything works just fine.

One of those forward running bundles puts a ground here:

Keyed eyelet.

I have one here too, driver side cowl lip, and it's a keyed eyelet:

The black wire is my ground... The ones in your picture, ARE NOT factory. Ford uses keyed eyelets.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 AM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

Check you're fuel system pressure specs for poor mileage.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:08 AM
Robert Allinson

for poor mileage kindly check your fuel pressure specs I sure it will help to solve the problem, I have also faced this problem but on the road but thanks to roadside assistance services they saved me in worst situation I always recommend you to use this type of services for bad situations.

Quick Reply: Loose wire