Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Removed air bags, no have warning light, please help!

Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default Removed air bags, no have warning light, please help!

Hey Guys,

Long story short, Ive been receiving recalls for the airbag in my stang ever since I got it. Instead of bringing my car back to Ford for them to screw up my car (happened twice already), I decided to remove them on my own. I have drivers airbag disconnected, and passenger completely removed. Now I have an airbag light on intermittently, how can I disable the light?

Am I able to pull a bulb from the cluster, or do I need a "dummy plug," etc. I would really appreciate the help.. Ive seen the plugs for the seat side airbags, and Im not sure if they will/wont work for the front bags.

Please help, Ive got to get an inspection by the end of the month! Thanks!!!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:23 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The fix is, put the air-bags back in.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:28 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
The fix is, put the air-bags back in.
Right - the two times I've got to the dealership they did more harm than they did good.. And Im not about to put a frag grenade back into my car.

I know autocross, drag racers, etc., swap out seats, change out steering wheels and manage to work around the air bag lights. So I would appreciate if someone has some input on how I can disable/shut off the light
Old 05-18-2019, 04:38 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

It's a surface mount led, so no bulb to pull. There is probably something you can plug into the airbag harnesses to fool it, or you could pull the cluster, remove the applique and put some black tape behind the airbag graphic and put it all back together. I would vote for just doing the recall though.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:56 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by StangMuscle
Right - the two times I've got to the dealership they did more harm than they did good.. And Im not about to put a frag grenade back into my car.

I know autocross, drag racers, etc., swap out seats, change out steering wheels and manage to work around the air bag lights. So I would appreciate if someone has some input on how I can disable/shut off the light
POTENTIAL frag grenade, and was not like that when the factory put them in, it's potential
due to time, and environment... Stlll, pulling the airbags is like killing your patient to cure the disease...
You act like you PLAN on front ending the car, that's dumb...

Then you fail inspection, and that's it... If you know there is SOMETHING out there that will
help you, then GOOGLE it. I read there are resisters you use, found it searching YAHOO.
Was pretty simple...
Old 05-19-2019, 06:55 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

POTENTIAL frag grenade, and was not like that when the factory put them in, it's potential
due to time, and environment... Stlll, pulling the airbags is like killing your patient to cure the disease...
You act like you PLAN on front ending the car, that's dumb...

Then you fail inspection, and that's it... If you know there is SOMETHING out there that will
help you, then GOOGLE it. I read there are resisters you use, found it searching YAHOO.
Was pretty simple...
Im not looking to start any $h!+, but if you havent heard how many constant problems there have been with this recall, and recalls on the recalls then you should be more concerned. Couple that with the "swift" response many car owners with this recall have had with shortage of supply, etc.. Maybe things have improved over the last couple years, but I still have my doubts. Thats all I'm saying.

And yes, I have seen that people have used resistors for side seat airbags. But, I have yet to see a post about it regarding the front airbags. If you have heard/seen something about it I would genuinely love to see it. Maybe its the same deal, I have no idea. I have seen "dummy plugs" that are used for the side airbags that have a built in resistor, it would be great to know if those will work for the front bags too.

Thank you all for the replies
Old 05-19-2019, 10:44 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangMuscle
Im not looking to start any $h!+, but if you havent heard how many constant problems there have been with this recall, and recalls on the recalls then you should be more concerned. Couple that with the "swift" response many car owners with this recall have had with shortage of supply, etc.. Maybe things have improved over the last couple years, but I still have my doubts. Thats all I'm saying.

And yes, I have seen that people have used resistors for side seat airbags. But, I have yet to see a post about it regarding the front airbags. If you have heard/seen something about it I would genuinely love to see it. Maybe its the same deal, I have no idea. I have seen "dummy plugs" that are used for the side airbags that have a built in resistor, it would be great to know if those will work for the front bags too.

Thank you all for the replies
I can tell you about my '93 Cobra, but do nor know year of your own vehicle. I bought the Cobra with crunched RF fender, deployed bag hanging out. Cut bag off, glued the swing out flap back in place. Now the light: The connector under the dash feeding the light was "trick". It had a built-in switch which closed upon separating the connector. By defeating that connector, I removed power from the light. Of course, there was no "prove-out" when keyed ON. Yours may or may not use that scheme.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Resisters, same thing with the wheel and dash, you have to find the right resistance.

OR, how about, take a meter, and MEASURE the resistance of the air-bag at the harness...
That is what the module sees when plugged in... You may need to parallel a few to get
the right value. This information is all over the internet....
Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Resisters, same thing with the wheel and dash, you have to find the right resistance.

OR, how about, take a meter, and MEASURE the resistance of the air-bag at the harness...
That is what the module sees when plugged in... You may need to parallel a few to get
the right value. This information is all over the internet....
To be honest, I hadn't thought of that. I've never had to use resistors, and I typically dont do a lot of wiring. Looks like I will be giving that a shot, Ive got a multi pack of resistors coming in tomorrow. Thanks
Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

I'd be interested to know how you explain this to your insurance company, should the need arise. Could be a worse legal entanglement then Ford servicing your recall. Give up an hour of your time and forget about it.