Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What would you do to a junk yard engine before installing it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:17 AM
Dan Clark

Exclamation What would you do to a junk yard engine before installing it?

Hey guys,
I just got my engine and transmission from my 2005 mustang GT pulled last night. Shout out to Dino Dino Bambino and the others who helped me make my decision to pull. This was my first time taking an engine out, and I'll just say that it was a learning experience. I'm not out of the woods yet, though. I still need to separate the engine and trans (never done that before, either), probably replace the clutch (again, first time), pick out and buy a replacement junk yard motor, pick it up, drive it back, mate it to the trans, and hopefully put everything back together correctly.

I am going to have a LOT of questions. If there's anything you think I should know that will help, let me know.
But my primary question is if you were buying a junk yard motor for your mustang, what would you do to it prior to installing, such as rear main seal, spark plugs, oil pan gasket, et cetera? My uncle said I should definitely replace the clutch while the engine is out too, and I agree. Do we have a preferred brand? I'm seeing them online and they're like $300. Ouch!

Hey guys,
I just got my engine and transmission from my 2005 mustang GT pulled last night. Shout out to Dino Dino Bambino and the others who helped me make my decision to pull. This was my first time taking an engine out, and I'll just say that it was a learning experience. I'm not out of the woods yet, though. I still need to separate the engine and trans (never done that before, either), probably replace the clutch (again, first time), pick out and buy a replacement junk yard motor, pick it up, drive it back, mate it to the trans, and hopefully put everything back together correctly.

I am going to have a LOT of questions. If there's anything you think I should know that will help, let me know.
But my primary question is if you were buying a junk yard motor for your mustang, what would you do to it prior to installing, such as rear main seal, spark plugs, oil pan gasket, et cetera? My uncle said I should definitely replace the clutch while the engine is out too, and I agree. Do we have a preferred brand? I'm seeing them online and they're like $300. Ouch!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Both seals, front and rear and while you are changing the front check the chains. Make sure the idlers and water pump are good. You are already doing the clutch but if you ever wanted to replace or put on headers now is the time. Make sure all the mounts are good and get whatever color paint you want your engine and clean and paint and get under the hood clean. Clean up Wiring and check al the steering components, they are easier to change with no motor in the way.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:41 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

how much you wanna spend?
Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I'd pull the oil pan and front cover off for starters. Then pull off one rod cap and one main cap to check the condition of the bearings. If they show copper, prepare for an engine teardown and rebuild. If good, just replace the rear main seal and oil pump. With the front cover off you can check the condition of the timing chains, guides, and check for slop in the phasers. You can also replace the front crank seal and install a new harmonic balancer.
Definitely replace the clutch assembly unless it looks obviously newish.
Pull all eight plugs and check if they look oily. Dry dark brownish deposits will indicate a good clean burning engine and a low likelihood of any significant ring/bore wear.
With the engine out it's a great opportunity to replace the water pump, coolant hoses, and install aftermarket headers.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

You should machine the flywheel and replace the hydraulic throw-out bearing. Now's the time to replace the throw-out bearing, but they are not cheap. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:42 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

In my area looking on car-part.com a 2005-06 engine will cost you $1200.00 and up depending on mileage. Tough call on what you are going to do. I understand some of the things others have suggested to do while it's out. I changed a lot and I mean a lot of engines in my day and only had 1 bad one and the yard made good on it. But back then it was out and in 4hrs. See what's in your area then decide. Wouldn't want to be a mechanic today for all the tea in China.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Dan Clark

Hey everyone.
I appreciate all the input and apologize for the delayed response.
Just as artsvettes stated, engines cost just over $1k, even with over 100k miles on them. It sucks. However I just got a lead on a engine from a totaled mustang. Thing is it's a 2008. Why specifically are the 2008s not considered to be the same as the 2005s? Can I not use it? He's offering a great price. There's some damage to the valve covers, but who cares? He's not charging a core, so I can just take stuff off my old engine.

I am budgeting for ~$500 in parts, not counting the engine. The clutch assembly is $300 of that.
Do you guys have a preferred brand for the clutch, rear main seal, and/or any other suggested parts?
I am about to go get the flywheel machined right now so I'm finally getting started on all this :-)

I appreciate the hell out of you guys.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:15 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

Ford changed the spark plug design mid 08 to fix the previous issue. they also changed the coolant hose routing/thermostat location mid 07. Other than that, should be pretty much the same. good luck
Old 06-19-2019, 07:16 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Yeah, you can use the heads from your old one (assuming they aren't broken) and the crossover rats nest form the old one, unless you are willing to buy new radiator hoses (which probably wouldn't be a bad thing) in which case you should just use the newer coolant crossover.
In the end they have all the same electrical connectors, the spark plugs & coil-on-plug boots are different, so you'de have to replace those if you aren't planning to already if you use the new heads.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:06 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Back in the day we used Hollander interchange books that would tell you the difference if say 05 and 06 were interchangeable, and what the difference for the 08 would be. Some were easy and others were not feasible. Now everything is computer software and I don't think that is offered ." UNLESS YOU KNOW SOMEONE IN THE AUTO SALVAGE BUSINESS THAT COULD TELL YOU".
In my mind it is ecm and wiring issues limiting the 05-06. IF and only IF that were the case, you would need All the wiring dash to engine and ecm. Again that is ONLY MY THOUGHT I don't know that to be FACT. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: What would you do to a junk yard engine before installing it?