Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cooling fan low speed not work

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Mbgarrison

Default Cooling fan low speed not work

So about a week ago I was driving around and had stoped at a store. When I came back outside and hope in my car the air started blow really hot air almost like I had the dial turned to heat. Engine wasn’t running hot according to gauge. And ac wouldn’t turn back on. Untill after car had completely cooled overnight.
took the car to a mechanic who had looked at my car before because I didn’t have much time to look in it last week. He thought that a tune up would fix my problem for some reason or another that I don’t remember. Anyways after the tuneup he took my car for a drive and noticed the hot air I previously told him about. And took it back to his shop. He popped the hood and coolant was coming out of the thermostat housing unit. That’s when he noticed the fan low was coming on but the high would once it reached its temp. So he replaced the housing unit and with out checking why the fan low wasn’t coming on decided to replace the whole fan. Well when I went and picked up the car. Ac worked great. Practically freeze in the car. Once I got to where I was going and came back out 20 mins later no ac again. Car just blowing air same temp as outside. And low fan wasn’t working.
Now for the interesting part. The low speed for the fan comes on speratically and when I’m the computer recognizes that its working the ac works. But it doesn’t come on or off during a single drive. It’s either works the whole drive ( i.e. can turn air off and on and still works) or won’t come on so it’s like playing Russian roulette with the fan working.
i check for continuity from relay to harness for the fan and even swapped it with other relays that I know work. Like the wiper relay. Not sure what to do. Any suggestion would help thank you
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 AM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Replace ECT switch?
Old 07-16-2019, 06:28 AM
JimC

I'm confused. What "cooling fan" are you talking about? At times it sounds like the AC fan (HVAC system) inside the car and other things suggest you are talking about the radiator fan or engine cooling which has a high and low speed.

Last edited by JimC; 07-16-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:50 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

very possibly the relay (under the hood in the big relay box) is broken and perhaps it's HOT AS ****! Replace the relay and replace the cooling fan. The cooling fan may be drawing too many amps. Common problem...fans don't last forever.
With car off, do the cooling fans spin freely, if not, they are shot and it's time for new ones which spin easily.