Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

87 mustang!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 PM
alboy91lx
2nd Gear Member

Default 87 mustang!!! HELP!!!

ok so i just got a 87 5.0 speed dens car...i threw world product windsor heads on it... now the car runs like ****... at first it will run great with new plugs in it but then after a while it will run like **** and die... i pull the plugs and they are coverd in gas... i have a afpr on it and it reads right at 38-40... i think it may be bad... but do you guys have any clue to help me out? just incase you ask... it has a stock botom end... the heads, stock intake... long tube headers to the dynomax race muffles... stock fuel pump... any help would be great... thanks!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Did you get it tuned?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I didn't think it was a good idea to run after market heads on a car with the stock fuel system.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 PM
mustangjon

he's got something more at hand here... a tps out of adjust, map sensor getting wrong reading.. i opt for vacuum leak with all that apart next to something unplugged which should code a CEL and he mentioned nothing about that. Changing heads shouldnt be causing a rich scenario. Possible rocker arms too tight causing a leak on intake valve... but to only have unbolted the intake and heads basically..

I'm running fully ported gt40 heads, flowed 251cfm at .6 lift, which outflow those world heads... ported explorer intake.. 1.7rr, headers ect, just left stock cam in.. and havent had the computer touched.. i have been messing with timing and fp to dial it in better. I have no wet plugs, hell i was even running 24lb injectors in it and didnt have that problem... now when i first got it back together the vacuum line going to map was plugged up in the intake.. and it was running pig rich, black smoke diesel rich lol. Still stock fuel pump, i do have a new one to make sure it never leans out on big end, even tho my wideband never shows that now

Last edited by mustangjon; 12-16-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 PM
alboy91lx
2nd Gear Member

no tune...it is a bolt on set of heads from what ive heard.. it has stock fuel pump... line, injectors... just a afpr... i have it set at 39... i have the ford racing 1.6 adjustible rollor rockers... um... and just the long tubes... i have the timing set at 14*... ive adjusted the rollor rockers... (to where there is little drag when spinning the pushrod)...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM
mustangjon

check vacuum lines, use vac guage if you got access if in doubt... double check the lines, back a few psi out of your fuel pressure. See if anything changes, what kinda gap you running with your plugs?? start at the basics. If it ran fine before and not now its something simple your missing.

Sorry my other post was kinda jumbled train of thought lol, was tired it had been a long day.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 PM
alboy91lx
2nd Gear Member

lol...its cool man... im running the .35 on the plug... im using the plugs thit at world product recommeneds... um.... i tried turning it way down and it still "floods" out you could say until it dies... ima put the stock fpr on it tomarrow if i have time and if it stops snowong... lol... would rollor rockers have anything to do with it? and what would be the proper way to adjust the rockers?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like an issue i had on my previous motor i did a H/I with new rocker arms

I made 3 Mistakes... 1 i rushed into the project lol
2 the lower intake bolts were fudged so everytime i would torque the intake down they would come loose and coolant made its way into my oil since the lower intake was loose and ****ed my motor. this also cause a massive vac leak that i could no track down for the life of me... my motor would run, but barely and only if i was giving it gas
3 when i did the rocker arms, i did not tighten them all when the vavles were closed i just went along and did the torqueing down which ever way the vavles were sitting...

so double check what i just wrote in 2 and 3
Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 PM
mustangjon

pull your plug gaps back out to at least 45-50... no need with NA to be gapped that tight... tighter gap means easier for the spark to travel but not as intense... look up crane cams website and look for pedestal mount rocker procedure i believe they had it when i did mine. or google... but yes the valves must be closed properly ect... you will have to rotate the motor 4 different times i think it is to hit every valve. and you need to shim each one seperately not just one size fits all... these are pedestal still right? if stud well its similar, but im still thinking vacuum leak... or lack of vacuum to one the map.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
alboy91lx
2nd Gear Member

they are stud mount..and what do you mean lack of vaccum to the map? ill do the vaccum test to it 2mrrow... 15 is what it should be pulling right?

Quick Reply: 87 mustang!!! HELP!!!