Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Ok now with all correct info, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
I am surprised that someone else has not jumped in and just locked this thread to end it bc this has gotten WAY off topic of the OP.
I doubt that will happen because a Moderator is involved in the conversation.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:55 PM
John Doev1
1st Gear Member

I'll say this again but nobody will read it because it's me and the post is not going to be a novel. I just bought a set of GT40P's for $175 and I plan on porting, doing some bowl work, and running larger unshrouded valves. I am stepping to a custom cam and a stall that is around 2000 to 2400rpm.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by John Doev1
I'll say this again but nobody will read it because it's me and the post is not going to be a novel. I just bought a set of GT40P's for $175 and I plan on porting, doing some bowl work, and running larger unshrouded valves. I am stepping to a custom cam and a stall that is around 2000 to 2400rpm.
Good deal on the heads!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
You should know that sometimes results vary from engine to engine car to car. The results you get in your area can differ in mine, you should know that. I'm all for eliminating restriction in the exhaust but the entire car and exhast system has to work as a whole. If the exhaust gases can make a smooth transition out of the exhaust it works to the best power of the car. If the exhaust is to large the air curls up and the next pulse wave has to hit a wall of air and it creates a domino effect and instead of the exhaust being pushed down the pipe the flow slows down becuase of turbulance in the exhaust. There is a point where exhaust gets to small and a point where it gets to large.
..... and I am the "hack regarding airflow dynamics"?........

That is incorrect and where the misinformation lies.

1. Exhaust gases do not change state to solids becoming unmovable matter.
2. A 3" ID has 44% more cross section area than a 2.5" ID exhaust, even if all of the 44% increase over the 2.5" exhaust in the cross section gets turbulent or "plugged" as you describe it, wouldn't it be the same as having a working 2.5" pipe?
3. Is 1 CFM trough a 4.9 Sq." area pipe (2.5" ID) = 1 CFM through a 7.1 Sq." area pipe (3" ID)?..... guess which one will look slower? .....but the flow is still 1 CFM for both.
4. So that domino effect decay due to turbulence at the silencer, causes it to get theoretically plugged, and those harmonics will reach the exhaust port?
5. Do you know the easiest way there is to check for that BS conclusion? .... measure exhaust system back pressure with a gauge, or get a little technical and use a transducer with a datalog device. If back pressure does not increase in the system through its working RPM's and engine load conditions.... guess what that means regarding the air walls creation due to turbulence?

Have I done it?...... Guess.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by John Doev1
Great find, suggest not to spend that much money on them though, by the time you add up all the costs to upgrade pedestal to studs, guide plates, new valves, port work, etc....... you'll know what I mean. The GT40p shown below is one of a set I have for a customer.... total cost when finished?... you don't want to know.

They'll work great on a 302, but not on a 331/347..... or better worded, there are better options to ensure engine "breathability" at a similar cost.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I doubt that will happen because a Moderator is involved in the conversation.
Oh I see....since I'm involved, I'm not allowed to take a position and if I do all of a sudden I'm an instigator and nutswinger amongst other things you have called me....all the while I have yet to name call......get the instigator part straight, yeah that's right I saw the "instigator" cheap shot you took at Stinkinlinkin in his thread.....low real low.....from this point forward any off topic comments of yours will be deleted and PA is next, no more warnings

Last edited by mjr46; 05-31-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Portmaster this is one and only warning. it is a debate resorting to name calling will get you no where but a trip to banned camp. when a question is presented to you answer the first time asked so people do not have to continue asking. answering by saying someone is swinging from someones nuts is the correct answer FYI.
this thread is done if you have any questions PM me and i will take care of it.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Not always but in this one I nailed it. You had to call for backup in a fight that you can't win as far as I'm concerned. Thats pretty chicken chit in my book. Is that how you play when cornered?
Why is it you feel so compelled to fight with people on the forum? This board isn't your soapbox to spout off when people disagree with you. You've been a constant source of problems for this forum, and despite being asked/warned by MF staff, your bad behavior continues.

I'm sure you will take the cowards way out and ban me but I really don't give a flying rats azz.
Since you don't care, neither do I - BANNED
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

oh and portmaster i look forward to joining another forum where you can argue with people who supposedly doesnt know anything . its called

S B F T E C H dot com. cya around LOL