Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

I wanna go carb'd

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Default I wanna go carb'd

Aright guys, I wanna go carb'd. I parked the car and will start to tear into it soon. Im building a motor for it definatly. 331 or 347. I dont wanna deal with EFI anymore. I dont wanna deal with injectors, mass air, wires everywhere, any of that BS. I dont want to have to go pay someone to slap my car on a dyno to tune it. I just want it old school. Pushrod V8 with a 4 barrel holley. And when I wanna tune it I just have to losten 4 nuts pull the carb off it and swap jets or powervavles etc. What will it take? I know I will need a new dizzy, intake, carb, throttle cable. But what about the computer and the rest of the ignition system? And what do I do as far as wiring harness's.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

a ignition box msd or durspark get ignition parts for a 85 mustang 5.0l 4bbl manual trans say far as the computer **** take it all out and sell it u need a fuel pump also i used my efi pump and bought a holley reg
Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

I just did it with my car. You can use your fuel pump but you will need a regulator. I have a mallory; it works well. If you go this route you'll need to wire it to a manual switch so you can turn the pump on and off. Also bigger fuel lines wouldn't hurt either; I'm running 3/8's feed and return. But none the less, you'll still need to manipulate the old ones if you don't. You'll need an ignition box, preferably with a rev limiter; once again, I'm running a Mallory Hy-fire and just using my stock coil. (ignition is cheap, works great, and wires very easily). Currently I've left all my fuel injection harnesses in the bay because I haven't bought new gauges so I'm using the old harness for my oil pressure and water temp. Plus some of the new ignition wire get run into old harness wires so time would be needed to sort them out and delete what's not needed; I just haven't had time. As for a throttle cable, I just ordered a stock replacement for an '85 carbed mustang and it work's great. As for the carb, well if you go 347 I'm gonna recommend a 750. I have a Holley myself, everyone and there dog has one, has parts for them and jets, etc, etc. Works well! But if you wanna go all out get a Speed Demon, they are the best IMO. Speaking of carb, you'll need a fuel line to plug into it. Can go on forever and ever but really the best advice I can give you is be prepared for the li'l unforseens. There's a lot of um and it's surprising how much $ they can add up to. Keep us posted and if you have any questions I'll make sure to help ya out. Cheers.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:56 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I will be starting this in the winter, im going to tear off all my EFI stuff soon though and get ride of it, intake, cold air, etc. And your telling me as far as the computer I can just rip it out all together?

Jay
Old 07-25-2009, 12:01 AM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Here, I'm doing the same thing to my car and have been using this thread as a reference:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/spee...carb-swap.html
Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 AM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

your efi harness is completely seperate from your lights/alternator/ etc, you simply unplug it and remove it. you will have to make a plate to cover up the hole in the firewall where the old efi harness came through no biggie though. as mentioned above the efi coil can be reused and are quite good actually, im not a fan of msd crap (left me sit one to many times due to a bad box) so i use crane ignition boxes and a recurved duraspark dizzy and have zero issues. good luck
Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

cch said that the old harness needs to be used to run the gauges and some of the ignition wires still need to be used in the harness. Is this true, because your telling me to ditch the whole harness all together?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:59 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Look at that link I posted...it tells you exactly what you need to do.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

You don't got to buy a new throttle cable if you have the right bracket.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Alright guys my plans have changed no more stroker. I just dont really have enough money to be throwing it into a motor. I will still be going to carb though. I will leave the shortblock alone and do a head cam and intake set up. Im on a low budget due to somethings that came up so I will be going with a set of ported GT-40's probobly. I wanna go with a holley carb and a 650 should be plently right, or the 670 street avenger. Whats a nice intake out there, and is the F-cam any good for a carbed motor. Or should I do like a comp cams cam or lunati? Jegs has a kit with a Weiand Intake, lunati voodoo cam, and a Holley 670. Anybody ever use this?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Weiand/925/8020K/10002/-1#

Quick Reply: I wanna go carb'd