Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

85' hatch

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Default 85' hatch

i just bought a 1985 mustang on sunday. idk if its an lx or gt. it has a factory 302 bored .30 over edelbrock intake 4 barrel carb and cam has shorty headers and a bbk xpipe with cats and flowmaster supper 44's with 3 1/2" magnaflow tips. its a 5spd. with new clutch. 3.73 rear with traclok. it has brand new firestone tires front and rear with pony wheels. has sony hu with new amped front and rear speakers. sounds decent.i paid $400 for it. because the interior needs a complete redo, headliner is falling down. carpets are stained to high hell, seats ripped yet comfortable. it doesnt have power windows, locks. also the rear hatch doesnt close right... ya have to like push it in towards front of car to get it to latch but it doesnt fully latch.. these are problems i feel should be easily addressed. i will post pics tomorrow i just got a new phone too and have to learn to set it up... another question i have is i dont see any gas tank door popper switch anywhere, and no hatch switch... .

so, do i have a lx or a gt?

is there anywhere i can buy a complete interior kit? headliner, carpet, seat covers? i remember reading a musclemustangfast ford magazine a wile ago when i had a subscription and there was a company that solkd all as a set for like 4400 or something.

what can i do for the hatch? is it just the hindges need to be tightnined or do i get a new lock mechanism thing?

and the gas door? i have to pull the crap out of it to open it but researching online says there should be a door popper thing somewhere...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

PM me your VIN number and I'll tell you what Ford built.......
www.latemodelrestoration.com
Good place to shop
That hatch problem seems to be endemic to these cars, I've had the same problem for about 7 years now, when you get the fix, let me know what it is........
Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I need the factory VIN, not the state title number...........
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

The fuel door release is in the glove box for the hatch try adjusting the stryker bolt i believe its a torx bolt just loosen it a little and try adjusting it good luck try four eyed pride .com great forum for that car
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM
ecstokely

I had the same problem with the hatch on my 85. I had to loosen the hinge bolts and moved it probably about an 1/8th of an inch towards the front, latches up no problem now.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
oldfordisbetter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ecstokely
I had the same problem with the hatch on my 85. I had to loosen the hinge bolts and moved it probably about an 1/8th of an inch towards the front, latches up no problem now.

which side? on the body or on the hatch?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
ecstokely

on the body side. its 2 bolts up under the piece of trim
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM
samsonhusky
2nd Gear Member

If it has fog lights it is a gt if not then lx. Lx didn't have the tail on the back. I see yours doesn't but someone may have removed it. I don't think you can tell from the vin i couldn't on mine all i could tell was what motor and trans. You got a great deal on it.

Quick Reply: 85' hatch