Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Need advice to put some more HP down

Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
1fast Lorinser

Default Need advice to put some more HP down

Ok so im new to modding mustangs so my question is what should I start looking into to start putting down some more HP numbers out of my 1993 mustang 5.0
When I bought the car it was basically a closed can so from what I can see it has a CAI and exhaust with upgraded shorty headers and only magnaflow mufflers and no cats. The injectors have been upgraded but im not sure exactly which ones they are but the only thing I can say is there yellow lol, and also the fuel pump has been upgraded because when it primes its so loud and iv owned stock 5.0's back in the day and they didnt sound like this. How can I identify the fuel injectors if not I will take pictures for you guys. Its not that fast either from what I can remember from my last 5.0. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Well the yellow or amber colored injectors are stock 19`s if its a ford injector, that pump may be about to take a dump, a loud whining pump isnt always a sign of a bigger pump! complete the exaust first with an aftermarket midpipe if its a hacked up stock piece!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:55 PM
1fast Lorinser

Talking

Well the exhaust is good it's not all hacked up with stock pipeing it's all fairly new about 2 1/2 pipeing with BBK shorty headers. The fuel injectors are probably stock then, I thought yellow was upgraded ones because they were for my previous corvette. The fuel pump is not going bad because I told my mechanic to check it out and he said its upgraded so I'm good on that. So what are some not to expensive things I can do to improve the hp because right now it's pretty sluggish. By the way it's a 5speed
Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

If the exaust is done then go back to the induction for the introduction of more air! but gears will give you the feel of a power addition cause it will change the torque multiplication factor!

Get a used aftermarket intake and a bigger TB not too big unless you do heads and camshaft alone with it. The intake flow of the stock intakes cause a low power output because of design errors in the lower and undersized runners!
Some will tell you that a intake upgrade alone wont help but hit the dyno for a before and after and see!

On the fuel pump if he didnt drop the tank and look at the pump housing for a pn or lph spec then he dosent know any more than you do about it!

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 04-29-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 PM
1fast Lorinser

I found a guy locally selling a cobra intake upper and lower with a set of 24# injectors for about 350 ? would that be a wise choice or u still say aftermarket?
There's also another guy that is selling complete cobra intake with 65mm Throttle body, BBK Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator,phenolic spacer and 24lb injectors for about 650?

What gears do you recommend ?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Id get the second deal for that price the cobra intakes are a bit better than a stock h.o. intake the gt40 base cobra is the better of the 2...
If you are planning on DD with a small kick stay around 3.55 or small numerically tons of guys jump on 3.73s or 4.10 and they Suck *** driving day in and day out!!!

3.27 or find a ford van with a 4.2 at a junk yard and get the 3.31`s out of it. anything over a 2.73 no doubt!

Then a clutch upgrade will follow in the near future! a centerforce dual friction is a fine piece for the price!

a used tfs stage 1 cam from someone that has decided to upgrade would complement the induction upgrade also but you will need new vlv springs for it though!

Later when you freshen up the wornout bottomend you can still use most of this with the stock heads with a few machining tricks or a set of aluminum heads also.

You wont get tire popping hp from these parts but you will add a decent hp gain to the car!

something along those lines may net you 240-260 rwhp if all is good!

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 04-29-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
1fast Lorinser

Ok so I just found a Cobra EFI upper intake manifold and a Ford GT-40 lower manifold for 350. You mentioned that the gt40 is the better of the 2 so do you think I should go with this deal? I will slowly start gathering all my parts and making sure I buy once. So after I gather all the correct parts ill get to the rear end. I just really want to say special thank to you VENOMANTIDOTE95, Your helping me so much instead of going through trial and error and saving big bucks.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Daniel Bente

In the end, the major choke point of big HP numbers tends to be dominated by the head. Even a port and polish job on stock heads will increase HP anywhere from 3-10% depending on the head and the port/polish job. When purchasing a cam, ensure to purchase a cam set with appropriate rods and lifters. The wrong rods/lifters with a cam can ruin all them through wear in short order.