Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Default RE: LS1

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324
well, my times are on the stock tires at the stock 35lbs of pressure, exactly the same as what i would be on the street, thats why i did it that way. . .

i pull 1.9's on my stock tires btw, and i hook the same track or street. . . thats why i hand most of the camaro's their a$$, i have a vid if you like to see, one of me beating a SS that ran 12.6's on nitto's @ the track, but, on the street, he didn't have the nittos, and thats why he lost, thats why i run the same tires at the track as i would on the street

ps. and that SS trapped 110 on nittos
That's the way I run at the track as well, well until I got these hur slicks, but that's the way I used to do it. Run it just like I was on the street. I think it's funny to watch guys swap wheels/tires just to run Nitto's.....I run them all the time, street or strip.

Are you auto? I was pulling 1.9x's with my car when it was bone stock. Only went to the track once when it was stock though. Manuals would have a harder time pulling that good of a short time on street tires.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324
well, my times are on the stock tires at the stock 35lbs of pressure, exactly the same as what i would be on the street, thats why i did it that way. . .

i pull 1.9's on my stock tires btw, and i hook the same track or street. . . thats why i hand most of the camaro's their a$$, i have a vid if you like to see, one of me beating a SS that ran 12.6's on nitto's @ the track, but, on the street, he didn't have the nittos, and thats why he lost, thats why i run the same tires at the track as i would on the street

ps. and that SS trapped 110 on nittos
That's the way I run at the track as well, well until I got these hur slicks, but that's the way I used to do it. Run it just like I was on the street. I think it's funny to watch guys swap wheels/tires just to run Nitto's.....I run them all the time, street or strip.

Are you auto? I was pulling 1.9x's with my car when it was bone stock. Only went to the track once when it was stock though. Manuals would have a harder time pulling that good of a short time on street tires.
I'm manual. . .

i've had some practice though

VistaBlue06 apparently is the manual god in the new stangs, he pulls 1.7's on stock tires []

i don't understand how he does it, but he has. . . i think he goes to a very well prep'd track though
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Wow looks like some things never change here.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
vettkiller

ford-v-chevy show down
Brewer's Speedway 6728 Reedy Branch Road Rocky Mount, NC 27803
Saturday, September 16th
Gates Open at 3 pm Test Tune begins at 5 pm Cruz-in Car Show 3 pm to 6 pm Races Begin at 8 pm
Gate Admission $5.00
CLASSES
PRO STREET Bracket - $25.00 Entry Car Only
PRO Bracket - $40.00 Entry Car Only
Purse based on number of entries in each Class Bracket Classes are open to all Make/Models
Outlaw 10 1/2 Street Class also w/a $ Purse
Street Heads Up Pro Heads Up
Trophies to 1* and 2nd place in each Class $10.00 Entry Car Only
FORD/CHEVY SHOW DOWN
Grudge Racing- 50/50 Drawing Event T-Shirts - Swap Meet Area
Helmets Required for all Racers Racers - No alcoholic beverages
Questions/Directions Contact: Phone - (252) 446-2631 Twistedstallions.com
Test/Tune - $10.00 Car Only - Open to all Make/Models
Sept. 16th. ford/chevy show down for more info. on this event go to twistedstallions.com
Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: vettkiller

ford-v-chevy show down
Brewer's Speedway 6728 Reedy Branch Road Rocky Mount, NC 27803
Saturday, September 16th
Gates Open at 3 pm Test Tune begins at 5 pm Cruz-in Car Show 3 pm to 6 pm Races Begin at 8 pm
Gate Admission $5.00
CLASSES
PRO STREET Bracket - $25.00 Entry Car Only
PRO Bracket - $40.00 Entry Car Only
Purse based on number of entries in each Class Bracket Classes are open to all Make/Models
Outlaw 10 1/2 Street Class also w/a $ Purse
Street Heads Up Pro Heads Up
Trophies to 1* and 2nd place in each Class $10.00 Entry Car Only
FORD/CHEVY SHOW DOWN
Grudge Racing- 50/50 Drawing Event T-Shirts - Swap Meet Area
Helmets Required for all Racers Racers - No alcoholic beverages
Questions/Directions Contact: Phone - (252) 446-2631 Twistedstallions.com
Test/Tune - $10.00 Car Only - Open to all Make/Models
Sept. 16th. ford/chevy show down for more info. on this event go to twistedstallions.com

I always hated things titled like that b/c its not really Blue Oval vs. Bow Tie. Its more like Mechanic vs. Mechanic and Wallet vs. Wallet. Hell, my friend had an 11 second civic that was a DD and cost less than a used 99-04 GT built. Brand doesn't matter once you get a competent mechanic/mean wallet behind something NEARLY as much.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:50 AM
2004M6GTO

I have an LS1, but in a 04 GTO, with the 6 speed...I can give you some insight to what mine has done. I beat a 06-07 Mustang GT (dont know which year, didn't even have plates yet), from a 10MPH roll...I do have a Corsa exhaust system which supposedly flows 85% better than stock, so Im assuming Im at about 365HP? By the time I shifted to 2nd my nose was approx 3 feet in front of his, and when we slowed down for the next light (maybe 170 feet) my back bumper was at his front. Maybe I just outdrove him, or maybe my car was just plain faster, I don't know, but like I said this is just another stand point on the LS1 discussion. I hear people talk all the time about getting a "tune"...how much horsepower can this get me?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:11 AM
slims00ls1z28
1st Gear Member

Firehawks (4th gens) were rated at 345 HP due to the "High flow induction package" and larger exhaust According to SLP. But they were all Formulas which were the lighter than the T/A, and Firebirds. But they also had suspension options not available on other Fbodies so they generally do better at the track with the added breathing and better suspensions. As far as the Corvettes 350hp vs the 325/315 in the Fbodies the main difference is the exhaust more than anything else. Vette exhausts flow much better than F Bodies. All SS's and WS6's came loaded with power everything and leather hence they weigh more than Z28's and Firebirds so that gives up the neglagable "Ram Air" and better muffler. Other than that and the visual differences the main difference in the SS/WS6 and the Z28/Firebirds are the shocks. All SS's and WS6's recieved DeCarbon (orange colored) shocks where just a handful of others recieved them somehow (mine had them).

Hence manual unloaded Z's and Firebirds are equal if not better in the 1/4 from my experience (I'm in the west TN F-Body association and I know/see/ride/driven many of them). My stripper Z with an Auto and 2.73's will match most of the SS's around here and beat quite a few. If I run up against an auto SS they are toast. I've never seen an Auto WS6 but there might be a few out there. I know there are auto SS's 2 friends at work have one I've beaten them both when I was stock. The biggest difference in LS1's will depend on how they are optioned out from the track times I've seen down here. And all LS1's recieved the LS6 intake after 2000.

One guy in my club has a Stripper Z that is a stick with every bolt on made and can hit 11's with DR's and 4.10's. I think his last dyno was 343 to the wheels. Mine trapped high 104's stock (Memphis humidity sux and I think is just as bad if not worse than high elevations) and I am trapping high 106's and low 107's depending on how much I spin (the more I spin out the hole so far have been my higher trap speeds) and I have relatively smallish bolt on list as far as actual power enhancement goes but have dismal 2.02 (best) 60' and traction limited 13.2's and 3's.

One thing I fing peculiar is that the STS turbo kits produce more HP on a stock LS1 than a Stock LS2 according to their figures. Around here Mach 1's and the new GT's are a drivers race VS LS1's given same drivetrain (auto vs auto or stick vs stick) and of course the blown bandits mop up if they hook (motorsports Test and tune nights suck as noone seems to be able to hook here). Auto vettes suck compared to Fbodies. Around here they usually do no better than high 13's. GTO's around here are mid/low 13's stock for the LS2 and High 13's low 14's from what I've seen. And I only know a couple of Fbodies run 12's most are low to mid 13's as are the new GT's and Mach's. And LS1's do more damage up top than down low anyday anywhere.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:19 AM
slims00ls1z28
1st Gear Member

Your "tune" will depend on mods and method. You'd probably see 10-15 hp with handhelds and 15-25 or more with LS1 Edit or HP Tuners. A few locals around here gained upwards of 40 but they already had cams headers and such so were able to benefit from better breathing. A friend of mine got 40 hp more after having his car dyno tuned over the diablo sport tune provided to him from texas speed to match his heads/cam.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:16 AM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: slims00ls1z28

Firehawks (4th gens) were rated at 345 HP due to the "High flow induction package" and larger exhaust According to SLP. But they were all Formulas not true which were the lighter than the T/A, and Firebirds. But they also had suspension options not available on other Fbodies so they generally do better at the track with the added breathing and better suspensions. As far as the Corvettes 350hp vs the 325/315 in the Fbodies the main difference is the exhaust more than anything else. Vette exhausts flow much better than F Bodies. All SS's and WS6's came loaded with power everything and leather hence they weigh more than Z28's and Firebirds so that gives up the neglagable "Ram Air" and better muffler. Other than that and the visual differences the main difference in the SS/WS6 and the Z28/Firebirds are the shocks. All SS's and WS6's recieved DeCarbon (orange colored) shocks where just a handful of others recieved them somehow (mine had them).

Hence manual unloaded Z's and Firebirds are equal if not better in the 1/4 from my experience (I'm in the west TN F-Body association and I know/see/ride/driven many of them). My stripper Z with an Auto and 2.73's will match most of the SS's around here and beat quite a few. If I run up against an auto SS they are toast. I've never seen an Auto WS6 but there might be a few out there. I know there are auto SS's 2 friends at work have one I've beaten them both when I was stock. The biggest difference in LS1's will depend on how they are optioned out from the track times I've seen down here. And all LS1's recieved the LS6 intake after 2000.

One guy in my club has a Stripper Z that is a stick with every bolt on made and can hit 11's with DR's and 4.10's. I think his last dyno was 343 to the wheels. Mine trapped high 104's stock (Memphis humidity sux and I think is just as bad if not worse than high elevations) and I am trapping high 106's and low 107's depending on how much I spin (the more I spin out the hole so far have been my higher trap speeds) and I have relatively smallish bolt on list as far as actual power enhancement goes but have dismal 2.02 (best) 60' and traction limited 13.2's and 3's.

One thing I fing peculiar is that the STS turbo kits produce more HP on a stock LS1 than a Stock LS2 according to their figures. Around here Mach 1's and the new GT's are a drivers race VS LS1's given same drivetrain (auto vs auto or stick vs stick) and of course the blown bandits mop up if they hook (motorsports Test and tune nights suck as noone seems to be able to hook here). Auto vettes suck compared to Fbodies. Around here they usually do no better than high 13's. GTO's around here are mid/low 13's stock for the LS2 and High 13's low 14's from what I've seen. And I only know a couple of Fbodies run 12's most are low to mid 13's as are the new GT's and Mach's. And LS1's do more damage up top than down low anyday anywhere.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 AM
slims00ls1z28
1st Gear Member

Maybe so I just think it was a matter of underrating the Z28 and firebird to make more expensive packages sell. I don't know what difference the "high flow induction package" makes however go to any firehawk registry (not forum or club) and they will tell you differently. It's funny to me how my car was rated at 315 from the factory yet the same crate motor (cam heads etc is rated at 345 all day long.

Quick Reply: LS1