Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Who should win? Modded GTP v/s Modded Stang GT(RESULTS INSIDE!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 02:50 PM
DavesGTP

Default RE: Who should win? Modded GTP v/s Modded Stang GT

Hmm.....screen name sounds somewhat familiar, yea. Don't know him, but I think I've seen him post on the clubgp boards some. 40 roll is borderline for us PROVIDING we have an aftermarket PCM that allows 40 mph downshifts to the top of 1st gear. With a stock PCM, a 40 roll for a GTP is the slowest ever....terrible. With my DHP, I can be going exactly 40 or under and still get a kickdown to 1st gear. Try it at 41 mph though at it puts you at the bottom of 2nd gear.

25-30 roll is the best for us I'd say.....aside from a dig. All we have to do is leave it in 1st gear and be sure to bump it up into 2nd gear by 50 mph.
Easy enough. I'm so freakin' busy I don't know when I'll get up this guy's way next. It may be several more weeks before he and I can hook up and race. But when we do I'll remember this thread and post the results.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:14 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

I going to give the win to the GTP. 25-35 mph roll is not the place to start a GT in a race unless it has gears. Reving high in first means shift as soon as you punch it, but if you start in 2nd the REVS are a little low and there is a lag like an auto. My friend with a GTP want's to race from a 30mph roll. I checked it out with my car and it is not the spot to start from, 40 is better.

BTW... Dave do you know SleeperZ96BT?
LOL...yeah you might be right on that...but i have to say this..Why do people always race from a roll?????????I think it's so weak to race like that...
Old 04-16-2004, 01:32 PM
DavesGTP

Well looks like I'll be racing this guy tomorrow around lunchtime after we dyno. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Tango 12

Don't forget the video.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:24 PM
DavesGTP

Yea we're gonna do video. If we use my camera though, I'll have to go buy the software to get the video on the internet. I've been meaning to do it anyway, so this will just give me an excuse.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:51 PM
DavesGTP

Okay guys I raced this guy today after I dyno'd. We raced 3 times and I got him all 3 times.....not by much but I got him. First race 25 roll I'm in 1st gear and he makes the mistake and starts the run in 2nd gear.....I got him by about 2 carlengths by 110 mph. Then we go again but this time from a 20 roll.....he's in first this time. I spin way too much and my car shifts early into 2nd gear, so he gets just a little on me. But once I get going good, I start to pull on him. By 100 or so his front bumper was at my back bumper.....maybe a little bit closer up but not much at all. We shut down at 110. Third run was JUST like the second run, except I had to brake about 90 mph due to a truck up ahead in my lane. Now to be fair, he did have a guy that looked to me to weigh no more than 120 lbs in the passenger seat, and I was alone. The mustang driver and myself are about the same size/weight.

Best part? We've got it on 3 videocameras. One in my car, one by a guy on the side of the road (he only got the first race though), and the third by a 405 hp Z06 "chase" car. I don't have the software yet to upload my video, but I'm sure one of the others will get theirs up pretty soon. I'll be sure to post the link to the video once it's posted.

BTW, I was pretty happy with my dyno #'s .....254.6 hp and 326.3 ft. lb torque to the wheels.
Headers go on tomorrow.....can't wait.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 AM
fuzi0nz
2nd Gear Member

great runs[sm=smiley20.gif] cant wait to see those vidz. geez u got over 70 more torque than hp.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:43 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I have a friend that has a stock 00 GTP. I have no idea what your car is like off the line now, but I know for a fact stock vs stock a properly driven 5spd GT will eat a GTP alive off the line.

With only flows (mufflers only, not a catback) and a K&N (what my car came with from the dealer) traction control on or no, I easily put 1 to 1 1/2 carlenghts on him midway thru 2nd. After about 30 MPH it was pretty close until 100 or so. From a 35 or so roll i would barely pull on him.

GTPs are pretty impressive cars, and way nicer inside options and apperance wise than a mustang. I really thought they wieghed more than 3500 pnds, but I guess I was wrong. I keep trying to get my friend to get a different pully but he is afraid.

BTW how much of a pain was it to install the pully? Someone told him you have to remove the entire front of the supercharger to do it, and I havent had time to look at it and verify that.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:11 PM
DavesGTP

Yea a stock GTP is no threat trust me. But once you put on a pulley, exhaust, and maybe a few other small things they get to be reasonably respectable. 1.9:1 ratio rockers really really helped my car a lot. Stock is 1.6:1. I drove a friend's stock GTP a week ago and OMG that thing felt like an absolute dog compared to mine. You're right, a stock '99+ GT 5-speed would eat it for dinner. But a few basic mods do wonders for these cars.

Changing the pulley is like taking candy from a baby, you just need a pulley puller that's designed for the M90 blower and you just basically "pull" the old stock pulley off and "press" the new one on. You do not have to remove the blower. I have a friend that can do a pulley swap in 15 minutes.

We put headers on my car this past Sunday (the day AFTER I dyno'd....boo) and the car feels much better now....butt dyno says another 15 hp. BTW, I'll have a link to one of the video's hopefully tomorrow. I'll post it then.