MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Street/Strip (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip-25/)
-   -   BUSTED STREET RACE (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip/166195-busted-street-race.html)

Coley2002GT 08-14-2006 01:13 PM

BUSTED STREET RACE

Warning about street racing.
In fall of 1998 myself and 2 of my friends got into some pretty serious $hit street racing. At the time I had a 1969 AMX with a 390
and he had a 1996 Trans Am. It was late and we were on a quiet road out of town. I pulled about 1-2 lengths on him and was about to shut it down when the trooper flipped his lights on. He was backed into the woods at the side of the road. Clocked him at 98mph and I was was a little ahead of him. Pulled us out the cars at gunpoint, searched us and the cars and proceeded to chew our asses for about a half hour. Had to appear in court because in NYS it was considered a misdemeanor. Cost me almost $1000 for a lawyer, almost another $1000 for tickets, I had to go to a victims panel for drunk drivers ( even though there was no alc. involved ), 60 hours of community service at the local landfill, and not to mention the price I've had to pay for insurance for the last 8 years. Even the 3rd person who flagged us got the same thing. The only way I kept my license was because I was driving to college everyday and the judge didn't want me to drop out.
I consider myself fortunate that nobody was hurt. Valuable lesson to be learned that I learned the hard way. As of right now I haven't been pulled over since.
Learn from my mistakes.

JD1969 08-14-2006 01:22 PM

RE: BUSTED STREET RACE

Thats a great story.

4Stangs 08-14-2006 01:54 PM

Now some states will take your car as well. Not worth it, though i am guilty. Luckily I have not been caught or been extremely stupid and hurt someone else. Good story and good advice.

93 LX FiveO 08-14-2006 01:58 PM

if you street race now im pretty sure ur insurance options are very limited and expensive

not alot of companies like insuring street racers

then again.. im sure you had classic car insurance no? only about $300 a year if u keep the miles off it

i know plenty of people that daily drive there old cars with classic insurance

i havent hurt anyone but ive seen people get hurt right infront of my eye

never race at night.. you cant see 50 feet infront of you and at 80+mph there is apsolutely no time to react..

TommyV8 08-14-2006 02:31 PM

It sounds like you at least did it right, a quiet road out of town. Although it must've been a road that sees some regular traffic if there was a trooper staking it out; he wouldn't be wasting his time on some deserted country road that no one ever uses.

turbostang21 08-14-2006 02:36 PM

good advice coley...but i agree w/ tommy that i had to be a known race spot (burnout marks, marked start/finish[&:]) to have a trooper hiding out there.

Cloud 9 08-14-2006 02:57 PM

Adrenaline addiction + testosterone = Me

I'll run it on the interstate against a Greyhound bus if he revs it at me.[:@]

jaiasmit 08-14-2006 03:26 PM

I'm more interested in hearing about the 69 AMX. My dad had a 70 AMX with a 360 in it when I was about 14 and I worked with him on restoring it. We didn't make it very far in the resto, but that thing had some major balls. I would love to get another and do a complete resto.

Coley2002GT 08-14-2006 04:10 PM

apparently the trooper was sitting along the main road somewhere when we both drove by and he knew something was up. How often do you see a yellow TA and a red AMX following each other around. He must have waited for a couple of minutes and followed us and turned his lights off before anybody could see him. Scared the hell out me when he flipped the lights on because it was pitch black and then it was like daytime.

As for those of you who were interested in the AMX, it was an original big bad green car (you could see it in a couple of spots in the trunk), 390CI , auto with a shift kit, 3.15 gears. Would have probably run a low 14 or a high 13. Torque monster...like 420lbft or something like that.