MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Street/Strip (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip-25/)
-   -   Ways To Start A Street Race? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip/324441-ways-to-start-a-street-race.html)

Mellowdien 07-29-2007 09:33 PM

Ways To Start A Street Race?

Hey Guys,

I don't street race that often. Every once in a while i do race against my friends.
Last time i raced it was against a Prelude (i know it's rice but this one was fairly fast imo).
Like i lined up next to him, he asks me " Are you ready? ", 2seconds later he launches, and i'm like "Oh? we're we supposed to go now?".

Then he's like "Yea 1-2 method" and i'm like "O Okay (not knowing what the hell he was talking about)".
Anyway, so i decided i'll just launch when i see him launch. did so, was in front of him in no time. Took the cake 3 times that night NOT knowing when 2 "GO!".

So myare questions:
What ways are there 2 start in the street?
When someone says we'll go on 3 do they mean 1-2-3-GO! or 1-2-GO! ?(same questions with "honks)
What the hell is the 1-2 method?
What other ways are there?

I'm obviously new to all of this, so hope u guys can help me out.
Thnx!

mudvayne1 07-29-2007 09:38 PM

RE: Ways To Start A Street Race?

I don't street race cause I don't want to lose my license and never be able to afford insurance again, but the ways I've always seen people do it are the 3 honks then go.

mustangcobra94 07-29-2007 09:41 PM

yeah i've always herd do 3 honks and go

scg87 07-29-2007 09:50 PM

None of us here condone street racing, but....

How to initiate a race w/out being a douche-

1. If the car you want to race is next to you and you're already driving, make sure you're in the gear you need to be in, pull next to him and wait to see if he does anything. If he does, there you go. If he doesn't,hit the throttle a few times and maybe jump just 1/2 a car or so and then slow back downto show him you're interested. If he still doesn't bite, just let them be.

2. If they're cool enough, just roll down the window and talk to them. Ask them if they wannarun 'em real quick. If so, cool; if not, no big deal.

3. If you're on a multi-lane road, and the car is next you, just keep pacew/ him, and accelerate as his pace. Then if he floors it, follow suit. Again only on a multi-lane road, don't be an ass and try it in a suicide lane.

4. If you're at a light next to them, look over, then just give them the nod. Nothing offensive, just a simple gesture. Or maybe even throw a rev, if you really want them to bite. I usually avoid doing so, however.

5. No clue what the '1-2 Method' is....

6. W/ three honks, you go on the third honk. The person honking usually gets a small jump though.

7. Obviously, the most common races are from a light, or go on the third honk when racing from a roll.

About all the advice I can give. I, along w/ most others, don't encourage racing on the street. And I advise against it for the most part, but if you're gonna do it, do it the safest way possible. And try not to make an ass out of yourself in the process. Flybys, cutting people off, and not letting people pass, is NOT the way tostart races.

AmericanMuscle4.6GT 07-29-2007 10:00 PM

step 1: go to streetfire.net. watch like all the racing videos you can find.

-make eye contact
-inch up and/or roll back
-rev
-open your window and ask
-play cat and mouse

The Stig 07-29-2007 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Mellowdien

Hey Guys,

I don't street race that often. Every once in a while i do race against my friends.
Last time i raced it was against a Prelude (i know it's rice but this one was fairly fast imo).
Like i lined up next to him, he asks me " Are you ready? ", 2seconds later he launches, and i'm like "Oh? we're we supposed to go now?".

Then he's like "Yea 1-2 method" and i'm like "O Okay (not knowing what the hell he was talking about)".
Anyway, so i decided i'll just launch when i see him launch. did so, was in front of him in no time. Took the cake 3 times that night NOT knowing when 2 "GO!".

So myare questions:
What ways are there 2 start in the street?
When someone says we'll go on 3 do they mean 1-2-3-GO! or 1-2-GO! ?(same questions with "honks)
What the hell is the 1-2 method?
What other ways are there?

I'm obviously new to all of this, so hope u guys can help me out.
Thnx!

I had a race last year with a confusuion like that. we were going from a dig & i was counting it out my window. It was saposed to be 3-2-1-GO! but he thought it was 3-2-1!! so when i said one he took off and I got a late start.

too awnser your question about the 1-2 start or what ever. the best way to do it is talk to the other racer & make sure you both understand what the count is going to be & when both cars are going to start.

Generally if a racer jumps, the other racer has the option to sit at the starting line or go ahead with the race. If both racers leave the line the race is one, reguardless if anyone jumped. However if the one racers waits at the line becuase the other racer jumped then the racer who jumped is forced to come back & may be penalized. That is generaly the rule on the street.

There are several ways to start a race. The norm is 2 racers line up at a stop light and when the light turns green the race is on. They usally race untill there is a clear winner, or stop the race at an argeed upon distance. If it is a planned race they can line up on a back road & count or honk off the start. This is usally referd to as going from a "dig" or a stop. In longer races they can race to a certain place or point. (exsample: "wanna race? First one to 7-11 wins!")

Going from a "roll" is usally started by lining up next to each other at an argeed upon speed (ex: 30 mph) and then racing to a argeed upon stop speed (ex: 120mph) or untill one car pulls away. This is usally started by one car honking 3 times with a second or 2 between honks. the 3rd honk is the signal to start the race.

There is also a type of roll racing which if one car has a handicapt he is alowd to go whenever he wants & then the other car can go. Exsample, if there are 2 cars but one has a small amount more HP than the other or one is a bit light. Too make the race more fair they might start at a 30 MPH roll and when ever the car with the handicap takes off the race is started. This gives the car with the handicapt a slight jump, and is easier than giving a car a head start or "lenths" from a roll.

There is also a type of racing which is done on a 2 lane road, where one car starts a few feet behind the other car. the lead car then tries to pull away from the follow car. If at the end of the race the follow car is still behind the lead car then he has won. but if the lead car has pulled ahead a few lenths then he is the winner. This is usally done twice, each car having its turn at being the lead car & the follow car.

However I prefer a good old drag race with a flag girl. get the 2 cars out on a back road, line them up head too head. And have a girl wave them off for the start.

Hope thats the info you needed.

joshafmil 07-29-2007 10:13 PM

if you dont know how to do all of this (common sense) you prolly shouldnt do it at all...

Mellowdien 07-29-2007 10:15 PM

Thnx guys,

We try to take every precaution we can.
Even drive around a few times 2 see if there arent any straydogs around.
We don't, or atleast i don't drive like a jackass through traffic.
The "street racing" i'm talking about is in no way that fast nd the furious bull****.

Only we reason we do it on the street is because there arent any tracks here.

Sleeper05 07-29-2007 10:22 PM

There are 3 ways to begin a street race:

1) The 3-honk method. Go on honk 3.
2) The flagger method. Go when he/she lowers arms.
3) The go-when-you-go method. Go when the other guy hits it.

These are the only valid methods in common practice. If you don't understand, /yourself.

AmericanMuscle4.6GT 07-29-2007 10:27 PM

knowing how to and wanting to start a street race is half the fun...........

you or anyone else are probably better off savin it for the track. there, they have an official procedure for races:D