Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

So i kicked this Old SS *** last night...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 PM
FLA Dreadhead
2nd Gear Member

Default So i kicked this Old SS *** last night...

Riding around town wit my friends trying to find a place to go and watch the mayweahter/hatton fight, on our way i see this old what maybe looked like 1965ish car with big bold SSbadge on its rear end...so i pull up next to it and see if he wants to go at it, this thing sounded like a monster it had to have a fully built exhaust and im not sure what was under to the hood, but a long story short after playing around on the road for a lil bit we finally get to a red light, we both acknowledge that is was "go time", so we do a lil taunted you know the reving of the engines and short lil spin out of tires and what not, i had the car at about 2500k rpm ready to launch when the light turns green and when it does we both hit, well i had a pretty good launch and i just looked at him in my rearview as i pulled off, he just spinned out at the damn light as soon as he hit the gasand by the time he caught traction it was obviously too late, soi slow down and gave him a honk as he did the same and we went on our way... that car must have had some serious power bcuz he had some fat tires on there as well...but any way

+1 for the mustangs! mind you i had 3 people in the car with me as well!

oh yeah and also +1 for Mayweather he kicked Hattons ***!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: So i kicked this Old SS *** last night...

nice kill.

I beat an older SS last summer on the freeway,he was taunting me pretty hard..getting on it and letting off.So I finally just raced him,he got the jump in 3rd by like a car and a half but by 120 I flew right past him and by 140 I had about 5-6 cars on him up top..he slowed down and exited.

I was in my stage 2 srt-4,real surpised by the outcome..I think he had 4:10s not sure what else.
From a stop light he was faster then a bat outta hell lol.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:37 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Nice kill.

BTW, the SS package was only appearance from '61 to '65. They didnt get any extra performance until '66
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Good kill!
The same thing happened when I raced a '66 427 Vette from a dig. But his car was fitted with the stock skinnybias ply tireswhichcouldn't handle the torque, and he just sat there and smoked 'em. I slowed to see if he wanted to do a roll race, but heturned off behind me.

Just curious. You said you launched at 2500 rpm. I thought the stock auto tranny on the S197 has a 2000 rpm stall speed. Did you install a high stall converter on yours?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 AM
FLA Dreadhead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ski

Good kill!
The same thing happened when I raced a '66 427 Vette from a dig. But his car was fitted with the stock skinnybias ply tireswhichcouldn't handle the torque, and he just sat there and smoked 'em. I slowed to see if he wanted to do a roll race, but heturned off behind me.

Just curious. You said you launched at 2500 rpm. I thought the stock auto tranny on the S197 has a 2000 rpm stall speed. Did you install a high stall converter on yours?
Well maybe it was about 2000 then im not sure as i was not looking at thedash too much, i was just feelin it out and launched when i felt it was at a good rpm...

but are you sayin that the car should not allow me to launch at anything over 200 rpm? Bcuz im pretty sure ive done it before.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

what model was it?

impala? chevelle? nova? the SS could be anything from a 283 to a 427 in 65. and even a 283 can sound beastly with a exhaust
Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

old tech vs new
Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: QatarStang

Nice kill.

BTW, the SS package was only appearance from '61 to '65. They didnt get any extra performance until '66
If a 40 year old car is willing to play. It's safe to assume it's not stock.

That car was obviously lacking driver mod.