Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

New GT500...no takers yet

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

Default New GT500...no takers yet

When I started driving my GT500 this spring, I was expecting everything from minivans to ricers to vettes wanting to run. I drive around and all I got is thumbs up and stares but no takers. The bad part is I can't even gauge the power against other cars out there (or minivans lol)

With my 07 GT I had everything under the sun trying to race me.

My only mod so far is the FRPP axle backs. I plan to get an evolution stage 2 (CAI/Tune/pulley swap) that adds about 120hp which would probably put me at around 520rwhp? Other mod will probably be 3.73s, LCAs and UCA for the 2008 season. 2009 will be rims/tires and suspension.

Question is....what will beat me with my 2008 mods? Right now I'm pretty sure a Z06 would walk all over me but a C6 I should come out slightly ahead. A viper would probably be the same story as the Z06. With the mods I'm planning I think it could hang or even edge out the Z06 up until 120mph or so.

Wish I could get a good run in to gauge the performance! I'm not going to waste my gas on ricers.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New GT500...no takers yet

You should visit a drag strip. I'd love to know what your car would do too.

If I saw you around, I'd test you out, and then hang my head in shame, lol. It's still be fun though.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

I think your mach would give me a good run right now man....

For some dumba** reason, the closest drag strip to me is 3 hours away....
Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

nice ride man
Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: airforceus

When I started driving my GT500 this spring, I was expecting everything from minivans to ricers to vettes wanting to run. I drive around and all I got is thumbs up and stares but no takers. The bad part is I can't even gauge the power against other cars out there (or minivans lol)

With my 07 GT I had everything under the sun trying to race me.

My only mod so far is the FRPP axle backs. I plan to get an evolution stage 2 (CAI/Tune/pulley swap) that adds about 120hp which would probably put me at around 520rwhp? Other mod will probably be 3.73s, LCAs and UCA for the 2008 season. 2009 will be rims/tires and suspension.

Question is....what will beat me with my 2008 mods? Right now I'm pretty sure a Z06 would walk all over me but a C6 I should come out slightly ahead. A viper would probably be the same story as the Z06. With the mods I'm planning I think it could hang or even edge out the Z06 up until 120mph or so.

Wish I could get a good run in to gauge the performance! I'm not going to waste my gas on ricers.
I hate you.

Love the car, dude. Very envious. I really want a GT500 - I just won't allow myself to get **** raped by the dealer. Did you pay close to sticker?

My car with a CAI and a tune dynos around 475. The actual dyno pull was close to 500, but it was a high reading dyno. So I just go with what other Z06's dyno with the same mods. Im not one of those guys that think I have a factory freak. So when you are at ~520 rwhp, it would be close. The Z06 advantage is the that is weighs a LOT less than the GT500. And if you don't do something about your tires, I think that 520 is going to be useless. I can blow the tires off my car and the tires are huge. The stock GT500 tires are really undersized in my opinion. Put that all together, and you would be in trouble from a dig. However, with 520 rwhp, the suspension mods, gears and sticky tires, you would be right there with a Z06.

Anyway, just my opinion. Congrats on the car - it's beautiful.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments! Love both your rides too!

I got the Shelby for $2K over sticker, but did take a little hit on the trade in of my 07 Mustang GT. I'm pretty sure the dealer I went through would be at sticker or within 2-3K at the moment. Shop around and I'm very confident you can get a GT500 at sticker.

Good point on the tires with the extra horses. If I get on it now I spin even if I'm going 30mph in 2nd. Plus it has the factory wheel hop problem so I really need LCAs soon

I don't think I want a blower upgrade in the future so I can try to keep it at least somewhat close to stock to hold value...we'll see if that lasts lol. I've heard guys running the TVS, KB, or 3.4 Whipple are putting down like 750whp...can't even imagine!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
JT76

too bad you are so far away.. i am dying to run a GT500, around here its all old farts with them
Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I should ditch my STI for a new GT500, especially if I can get one at sticker.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JT76

too bad you are so far away.. i am dying to run a GT500, around here its all old farts with them
lol...my problem is all the vette owners around here are on the verge of entering the nursing home. I'm positive they wouldn't be able to drive their car to its full potential.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Only tires that are gonna hook 550+ HP are slicks.I canthook my street tires @ the track w/ my 333 hp, lol! Take it to the track, your heart will pound @ the line. When your done w/ 1st run you will know it was worth the drive there.

Quick Reply: New GT500...no takers yet