Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

LS2 GTO OWNED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default RE: LS2 GTO OWNED!

Just because John Force is amazing, doesn't mean there aren't many more undiscovered amazing drivers out there. What you honestly are implying by saying that is out of the 300,000,000 people in this country........only John Force can drive a stick better than an auto!?

Auto's are heavier for 1, so they have a weight disadvantage. Secondly, if driven properly which isn't hard, they can very easily take a similarly modded auto.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: ripped camel
Auto's are heavier for 1, so they have a weight disadvantage. Secondly, if driven properly which isn't hard, they can very easily take a similarly modded auto.
take an M6 LS1 Fbody and put it up against a tuned 3200 stalled A4 and watch what happens, and weight disadvantage isn't even the main downfall of an auto, it's the power loss through the transmission

and seeing as a stock M6 LS2 will put down 350-360RWHP on average... well after a tune my A4 already surpassed that downfall and came out ahead... not that dyno numbers matter, it's all about what it can do at the track, and frankly I see more built autos laying serious numbers down morethan anything

for instance my friend hasan LT1 trans am with a CAI and a flowmaster catback... but at the back end he has 3.73's, a 3200 stall and DR's

hisaverage is a 13.4 @ 99MPH, his best being a 13.2 @ 100MPH.. all of his 60's being about 1.7's-1.8's

as far as the dragstrip, auto's are more capable and you can get more out of them
Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Morbid Intentions

ORIGINAL: ripped camel
take an M6 LS1 Fbody and put it up against a tuned 3200 stalled A4 and watch what happens, and weight disadvantage isn't even the main downfall of an auto, it's the power loss through the transmission

and seeing as a stock M6 LS2 will put down 350-360RWHP on average... well after a tune my A4 already surpassed that downfall and came out ahead... not that dyno numbers matter, it's all about what it can do at the track, and frankly I see more built autos laying serious numbers down morethan anything

for instance my friend hasan LT1 trans am with a CAI and a flowmaster catback... but at the back end he has 3.73's, a 3200 stall and DR's

hisaverage is a 13.4 @ 99MPH, his best being a 13.2 @ 100MPH.. all of his 60's being about 1.7's-1.8's

as far as the dragstrip, auto's are more capable and you can get more out of them
If autos are better for the strip, why do you need a tune and a stall to get the job done? What happens when two identical stock cars with a stock A4 and a stock M6 race? Well as long as the guy in the M6 tranny has a clue, he should be able to hold the auto off until his better power and better gearing come into play. In general, M6 transhave better gearing than autos and more power to the wheels for obvious reasons.

I agree that autos are more consistent, but they are boring as hell. I think most guyswith sticks have a bit of pride knowing that they didn't take the easy way out.[8D] I'm not knocking you auto guys, because my Stang is a auto..but for a sports car, a M6 tranny is a feeling you all have to experience. Traffic conditions are the only deterrent. Out here in So Cal I wish my Z were a auto sometimes...only because its easy as hell..not better.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: MrRogers

If autos are better for the strip, why do you need a tune and a stall to get the job done? What happens when two identical stock cars with a stock A4 and a stock M6 race?
well on average the goats are faster in automatic form since you mentioned it, and have you even been to a dragstrip yet to see all theunstreetable dragsters running bulletproof 4 speed automatics through diamond strongrear axles and steam roller tires?

with the true drag cars, many of the powerhouses among dragsters use automatic transmissions.

and with boosted applications an auto is better as well, The BOV goes off when the throttle plate closes. If you dont let off the throttle, the throttle plate never closes, boost is retained. end of story.

I think this all comes down to what someone prefers, I prefer to be faster... so I opted to get an auto

others might prefer the experience, let them get a manual
Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 AM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

dont know how this turned into an auto/stick argument but as far as the original post is concerned the LS2 goats are not bad i ran one from a 40 and he had me by about a car at 120-130 so i would expect him to pull a bolted GT. now as far as the stick vs auto thing... stick ftw i know in the mach the autos didnt even come with the forged crank like the sticks did and the stick will out run an auto all day long esp stock for stock yea if its just going to be a track car put an auto with a stall and all that stuff and you will prolly run better times but cant beat the fun of reving it up and dumping the clutch and smoking the **** out of the tires and slamming it into gear when your getting on it. thats y i will NEVER buy an auto sports car plus your not showing any driving skills at all my little sister could put her foot to the pedal and go fast in a fast car. takes a real driver to be able to drive a stick fast.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

If autos are better for the strip, why do you need a tune and a stall to get the job done? What happens when two identical stock cars with a stock A4 and a stock M6 race?
well on average the goats are faster in automatic form since you mentioned it, and have you even been to a dragstrip yet to see all theunstreetable dragsters running bulletproof 4 speed automatics through diamond strongrear axles and steam roller tires?

with the true drag cars, many of the powerhouses among dragsters use automatic transmissions.

and with boosted applications an auto is better as well, The BOV goes off when the throttle plate closes. If you dont let off the throttle, the throttle plate never closes, boost is retained. end of story.

I think this all comes down to what someone prefers, I prefer to be faster... so I opted to get an auto

others might prefer the experience, let them get a manual
Ive been to the strip plenty. But why are we going from common cars such as the GTO, to unstreetable dragsters?Most of the time those cars are creating so much power and G force, it's damn near impossible to drive and shift the car too. Thats not something you have to worry about in your GTO.

Also while turbos and M6 don't mix sometimes, superchargerscan beused for a M6 applications..

Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Ive been to the strip plenty.
what does theZ06 run?

and like I said before, on average the A4 goats are faster than the M6 counterparts in stock form... and my point was the reason unstreetable dragsters run auto's is because they are better for the strip, as you said in your own post
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

Ive been to the strip plenty.
what does theZ06 run?

and like I said before, on average the A4 goats are faster than the M6 counterparts in stock form... and my point was the reason unstreetable dragsters run auto's is because they are better for the strip, as you said in your own post
My C5 Z06 ran a best 12.01 @ 118mph after several passes. (w/CAI).. That was a few years ago though. My C6 Z06 hasn't made it to the strip yet..but that will happen soon enough. But first a need to buy a set track tires so I won't burn through my Michelins. I find it funny that you are questioning my track experience, which dwarfs yours. Hell, before I bought my Z06, I had a M6 baseC5 and I never lost to an automatic Vette on the street or strip.

For arguments sake, I would like to see a stock Goat A4 with a competent driver vs. a M6 Goat with a competent driver. I don't see the M6 losing that one...

Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

when did I question your track experience? I simpley asked what the Z06 in your sig ran

the fastest cars run autos and on average the A4 goats will be faster than the M6's on account of difficulty launching the application

and lets be honest, people that can't properly launch and shift amanual aren't a minority, they are a majority... and that shows in each and every person I line up with on or off the strip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27hlqkC2PxM

^^^^

while a manual GTO might be faster than an automatic one, after a driver goes into one,9 times out of 10 the auto will come out ahead from a stop... and that's where "average" comes from

and this is a pointlessdiscussion that is going nowhere, so for arguements sake, drop it
Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

when did I question your track experience? I simpley asked what the Z06 in your sig ran

the fastest cars run autos and on average the A4 goats will be faster than the M6's on account of difficulty launching the application

and lets be honest, people that can't properly launch and shift amanual aren't a minority, they are a majority... and that shows in each and every person I line up with on or off the strip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27hlqkC2PxM

^^^^

while a manual GTO might be faster than an automatic one, after a driver goes into one,9 times out of 10 the auto will come out ahead from a stop... and that's where "average" comes from

and this is a pointlessdiscussion that is going nowhere, so for arguements sake, drop it
and have you even been to a dragstrip yet
^^^ Your words, not mine.

Oh well I done here...

Quick Reply: LS2 GTO OWNED!