MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Street/Strip (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip-25/)
-   -   GTO vs. Mustang...A Review (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip/474815-gto-vs-mustang-a-review.html)

pallidamors 08-17-2008 11:50 PM

GTO vs. Mustang...A Review

So before I owned my GTO, I had a 2003 mustang gt. I was 21 when I got it and 22 when I got the gto....after selling the stang. So here is what I have to say about both of them. Mind you my GTO is a manual 6 speed 2004....the epically slow one.

First the mustang...

The mustang gt was also manual and I loved it!! It was my first "fast" car...coming from a crown victoria before it. The overall feel of the car was very rough, crude, and wild.....and I loved it. You could hear the roar of the engine, you could feel every bump in the road, and you could have so much fun sliding the rear out around and abandoned corner. It also felt wayyy faster than it really was. I mean it was decently fast, but not as fast as it seemed. The styling is my favorite of any mustang hands down. The interior was cheap feeling and looking, but I loved it. Overall I loved the car and miss it still...maybe I will pick up another one some day.

Now for the GTO

The GTO (especially the 04 model) is definitely a sleeper. It looks like a pontiac grand am from the outside...not nearly as cool looking as the stang, but the interior...thats a different story!!! Where I felt the mustang interior was cheap and dated, the GTO interior seems modern and very well made....almost like a bmw. The seats are sooo comfortable and the interior just looks/feels solid and well made. Now for the driving experience. The car doesnt have the same raw feeling as the mustang, it feels more civilized. It is much faster, but doesnt seem that way, because you almost feel disconnected from the driving experience. It corners much better than the mustang and driving at the limit/powersliding is so much easier and controllable in the GTO then the mustang.

Final analysis.

I love both cars, but they are very different. The mustang lacks any refinement and feels like a sports car. The GTO is faster and has superior handling, but lacks the rawness of the mustang. I love both cars to death, but they are very different beasts.

No cliff notes available

jmdgto 08-18-2008 06:55 AM

tks for a honest review.

USMCrebel 08-18-2008 09:15 AM

+1 to this review...accurate on both

pallidamors 08-18-2008 10:01 AM

getting more positive results here than in OT.

USMCrebel 08-18-2008 10:38 AM

OT is for tools

JD1969 08-18-2008 11:17 AM

Most of the OT people are not car people, just reatards that may or may not happen to own a Mustang.

mac10chap 08-18-2008 11:32 AM

thanks for the review. good thing you didnt base your opinion on the new edge vs the LS2 GTO or perhaps your opinion would have been leaned more towards the GTO

in your honest opinion, was it worth getting rid of your new edge in lieu of the 04 GTO based on performance, value, ergonomics, ect. or do you wish you would have gotten the LS2 and dropped more money???

just curious. this is good...i think a good part 2 would be based on a S197 vs the LS2 GTO (by someone who has had both) and give a comparison based on all major perameters and get some opinions. i know that motor trend and them have conducted these tests but i am referring to the average joe that has a chance to own both.

bluebeastsrt 08-18-2008 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by USMCrebel (Post 5360046)
OT is for tools

That's right. Tools & retards.:confused:

jmac72187 08-18-2008 11:55 AM

Great post.

But to be honest, the testing I have seen shows that the GTO is out handled by even a GT.

72MachOne99GT 08-18-2008 02:54 PM

If the review were like this, I would imagine that the LS2 vs S197 would favor a GTO even more.

Hell, every single review I've ever read of a 05+ GT vs a New Edge makes the 99-04's seem like prehistoric dinosaurs just as/maybe more than the GTO did against it here.

Both cars are going to feel a lot more tame/disconnected from the road than the two spoken about in this thread.

But yes, it would be nice to hear some more of these simple threads based on someone who has owned both.