Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

...and boom goes the nitrous bottle!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

He was trying to turn his car into a convertible.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Well my mind's made up. I was going with nitrous and once again that is probally a very rare occurance with the car exploding like that but I see that it can happen. Having a wife and three girls I'm not going to chance it. Guess I'll be getting 410's and a bigger TB.

its cool that you would make that sacrifice for your family.

but you really have a better chance of winning the lotto then your nitrous bottle exploding.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Well my mind's made up. I was going with nitrous and once again that is probally a very rare occurance with the car exploding like that but I see that it can happen. Having a wife and three girls I'm not going to chance it. Guess I'll be getting 410's and a bigger TB.
your car could catch on fire too since it is powered by gas and blow up too........when you have a defective bottle and leave it in the hot sun what do you expect???...no reason to fear nitrous and the bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, follow directions and have the bottle tested and stuff like that won't happen....either way luckly no one was in the car
Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I'm going to say it again...I swear to you guys, leaving a compressed bottle out in the sun is not and will not do this. My God, a bottle warmer is recommended for them. Those bottles are no where near their maximum capacity. A little heat isn't going to create the extra 2-3k pounds it would take to detonate one. There is more to this story than is being told. I have left bottles out in the hot sun at work for hours without issues.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:28 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by speedstang06
dang, that would suck! What do you tell the insurance company on this one? lol
I was just thinking the exact same thing
Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by Stone629
I'm going to say it again...I swear to you guys, leaving a compressed bottle out in the sun is not and will not do this. My God, a bottle warmer is recommended for them. Those bottles are no where near their maximum capacity. A little heat isn't going to create the extra 2-3k pounds it would take to detonate one. There is more to this story than is being told. I have left bottles out in the hot sun at work for hours without issues.
this I will agree with.... one of my friends however says the laws of physics cannot possibly allow this bottle to blow up and destroy things, that the bottle doesn't carry enough pressure to make the peices fly out at such a velocity.... I admitted I wouldn't know, I never blew up a nitrous bottle internally before (and neither has he, but he's still insisting it's impossible).... all I can say is bigfoot must have had a hell of a time stomping the crap out of that car if the nitrous bottle diddn't do it because I sure as hell don't see any fire damage

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 10-18-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
this I will agree with.... one of my friends however says the laws of physics cannot possibly allow this bottle to blow up and destroy things, that the bottle doesn't carry enough pressure to make the peices fly out at such a velocity.... I admitted I wouldn't know, I never blew up a nitrous bottle internally before (and neither has he, but he's still insisting it's impossible).... all I can say is bigfoot must have had a hell of a time stomping the crap out of that car if the nitrous bottle diddn't do it because I sure as hell don't see any fire damage

Your friend is an idiot.

Also nitrous is not flammable by itself, it's just an excelerant.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by czwalga00gt
Your friend is an idiot.
I diddn't go that far, but I agree to some degree lol
Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by czwalga00gt
Your friend is an idiot.

Also nitrous is not flammable by itself, it's just an excelerant.

Please back your claim. Explain exactly how a compressed bottle explodes spontaneously, or at all. It doesn't. Explosions happen due to leaking combustible gases in a poorly ventilated area and where the gases come into contact with an ignition source. Thats why you can't just shoot a LP tank or any other type of compressed flammable or non-flammable bottle and expect an explosion. It simply doesn't work that way. They take off like a rocket or either blow flame from the hole that was created (assuming there was an ignition source, tracer round, flame, etc). The heat of the sun doesn't even come close to expanding the NO2 gas in a approved bottle enough to explode. Even if it did, it would simply blow the valve off, releasing all the pressure. In fact, I have personally witnessed an O2 tank fall off a delivery truck and break the valve completely off. It turned into a rocket and went across 4 lanes and thru a chainlink fence. Watch mythbusters if you don't believe me. Common sense guys, c'mon.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:00 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Please back your claim. Explain exactly how a compressed bottle explodes spontaneously, or at all. It doesn't. Explosions happen due to leaking combustible gases in a poorly ventilated area and where the gases come into contact with an ignition source. Thats why you can't just shoot a LP tank or any other type of compressed flammable or non-flammable bottle and expect an explosion. It simply doesn't work that way. They take off like a rocket or either blow flame from the hole that was created (assuming there was an ignition source, tracer round, flame, etc). The heat of the sun doesn't even come close to expanding the NO2 gas in a approved bottle enough to explode. Even if it did, it would simply blow the valve off, releasing all the pressure. In fact, I have personally witnessed an O2 tank fall off a delivery truck and break the valve completely off. It turned into a rocket and went across 4 lanes and thru a chainlink fence. Watch mythbusters if you don't believe me. Common sense guys, c'mon.
Exactly, you can't prove the validity of the bottle, so you can't prove what did/ did not happen. It could of been over filled and burst under a bottle heater, you don't know, neither do we, so quit arguing about speculations geez

Quick Reply: ...and boom goes the nitrous bottle!