Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

BMW vs Mustang Gt /part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:07 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ralphmustang
Hi,

Yesterday I had the Tread about BMW 335i vs my mustang gt but couln't reply anything anymore does anyone why???
But you guys knows a lot of the racing stuff....great to help me when i am 1 of the few in my country with a stang...hahah
So if a put a supercharger om stang .....he wont't beat me ???even when he do chiptuning and will get 370 rwhp....??
Greetzz The Netherlands
I believe thats the question AZ was referring to. I believe you have to have 50 posts+ 2 months membership to post in the s/s, supposedly.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Putting an intercooled supercharger on your mustang and having it dynotuned will take care of any 335 running right now with any of the mods they have out. I believe the fastest 335i out right now has ran 11.8 @ 118.xx (Shiv - I believe he is the maker of the procede tunes). That 335 is tuned with full bolt-ons. My brother has a chipped and dual cone intake 335i and he knows that there is no contest between him and I. Once a turbo upgrade comes out for the 335, things will get more interesting.
You're running 500 RWHP, when the demonstrated 1:3 chance that your engine will blow kicks in, the 335i will be faster

The first thing I did when I got my car was found a way to get it forged, you've got a time bomb.

Also your car seems to have verrrrrrrrrry good abbility to hook up, it's an unusual one. I'm not saying your car is terrible (besides the fact it will blow up), but the likeable thing on a 335i is that it's performance is amazingly accessible. My mom is running a highly tuned car that took almost no effort to get there. A big turbo kit ruins the car's strengths.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
lol at 335i beating a whippled mustang
I hate how people always make incredibly uninformed points about others cars.

A 335i with the most basic but current and performance oriented chip mod has time and time again put down drag times that are faster than a GT500.

So every aggressively chipped 335i > GT500.

It's well known that it takes 467 crank hp to beat down a GT500 with a GT.

So it takes about 500 hp to insure some one a win against a 335i.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

And I thought LS_ nutswingers were bad......

Browse around this forum, theres more than 1 or 2 mustangs pushing 500whp on stock guts. Now, the new edge era, they'll pop at 500, but the 3v's seem to be dependable. Telling AS he has a timebomb........ kinda ballsy

Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

You're trying to disprove my point that it has been shown through reported cases and widely accepted and backed up by the fastest mass mustang tuner in the country (JDM) that 500 RWHP on an S197 will result in a loosely 30% failure rate over the life of the car with typical enthusiast driving and that this isn't resonably unsafe for the life of your engine..

You're trying to disprove this by saying that there are one or two people which have 500RWHP.

Ok.

Anyway a supercharged S197 and a 335i are going to be a close race on stock running gear with the S197 winning if the 335i has the most aggressive tune and the S197 has the most aggressive supercharger. I've already said that but I'm repeating it as a lead in to say for the S197 to substantially beat the 335i it would have to run an unsafe level of boost. There. To safely beat it you'd need forged internals, like everyone shooting for 500+ should have. I just can't believe anyone picked up it's anything less than a 51% gamble to go stock that way.

If you don't believe me do the following:

Call: 732.780.0770

Or you can tell me how your friend's grandpa's, brother's car is running 700RWHP on stock internals and it will beat a z06 and a chipped 335i by 751 car lengths and that it's perfectly fine.

Last edited by Legion5; 12-17-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Well, I'm usually not one to throw the "you paid this much more for yours then....", but in this case, it might be relevant. I would have to agree before you even say it, overall, the beemer is a more refined car. BUT IT SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!! Thats a lot of extra coin you're putting out over a 3v gt. Of course the bmw is going to handle boost, maybe, a little better. Although not forged stock, the motor is designed/engineered to handle the boost getting put through it from the factory. The mustang is not specifically designed to run boost through it. So the fact that it does handle 500hp through stock internals, with a 25k pricetag, is pretty damn admirable.

Edit: How long the 3v can safely handle the boost is up in the air, I would like to see how long these owners have been running this power level before motor problems occur. How many times they have made it down the track, DD or not, how many miles put on the car since reaching that power level, etc. That info would really be the testiment of reliability.

Last edited by 97tplsGT; 12-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Legion,
The chances of me blowing my engine and losing the race are probably the same as the chances of a 335's fuel pump going out and losing the race. For what the majority of chipped 335s will run, the majority of boosted 3Vs will beat - plain and simple, the small turbos on the 335 just can't create enough boost. Bigger turbos only ruins the car's strengthes if you don't race it and pick up groceries everyday. Now for people that want to go as fast as possible drag racing, its the only option the car will have to see 10s. No one is saying the car is slow, its a fast car stock, and very fast car chipped. Is increasing boost on a 335 more safe on the engine than boosting a 3V? Of course.

Telling me my car is going to blow up? Wow. I'd really like to put down a smart @ss comment, but I just can't be that immature.

So what tune does your moms car have? What mods did your 335 have? What did you run in yours? What credibility do you have giving info on the 335s capabilities? Now I don't have a 335, but my brother whom I live with, does (He is actually on his 2nd one). He races it every week and is easily one of the most dedicated drag racers in the 335 community. He currently owns the showroom stock record for the 335 at 13.31, which is a testament to his driving ability. I am very well informed on what all the modded 335s are capable of.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by Legion5
You're trying to disprove my point that it has been shown through reported cases and widely accepted and backed up by the fastest mass mustang tuner in the country (JDM) that 500 RWHP on an S197 will result in a loosely 30% failure rate over the life of the car with typical enthusiast driving and that this isn't resonably unsafe for the life of your engine..
please back up that statement about JDM, I've never seen either Jim make any such comments. Yes, at the 500whp level there is a chance your rods will let go, however there are many more cars from what I've seen running that level then blowing at that level.

there area a lot of other variables as well. My GT which maked 435whp in good air can out run a stock GT500 in the 1/4, by anywhere from .2 -.5
depending on driver. there are S/C GTs running in to the 10s at the 500-520 whp level. IMO the BMW will now keep up with a blown GT that is well set up.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Legion,
The chances of me blowing my engine and losing the race are probably the same as the chances of a 335's fuel pump going out and losing the race. For what the majority of chipped 335s will run, the majority of boosted 3Vs will beat - plain and simple, the small turbos on the 335 just can't create enough boost.
Saying the small turbos on the 335i are weak is like saying the 20" gas tank filler hose on a 747 jet you see at the airport is too small, results are what matter not random prejudice.

Prejudice is the problem with saying the majority of supercharged S197s will beat the majority of chipped 335i. you have no idea. If you take a look at the time slips you see that the following most popular setups:

JB3 steptronic, Proceed 2 and Juice Box

Beat these following most popular setups:

Roushcharger Vortech Whipple (probably non IC).

Bigger turbos only ruins the car's strengthes if you don't race it and pick up groceries everyday. Now for people that want to go as fast as possible drag racing, its the only option the car will have to see 10s. No one is saying the car is slow, its a fast car stock, and very fast car chipped. Is increasing boost on a 335 more safe on the engine than boosting a 3V? Of course.

Telling me my car is going to blow up? Wow. I'd really like to put down a smart @ss comment, but I just can't be that immature.

So what tune does your moms car have? What mods did your 335 have? What did you run in yours? What credibility do you have giving info on the 335s capabilities? Now I don't have a 335, but my brother whom I live with, does (He is actually on his 2nd one). He races it every week and is easily one of the most dedicated drag racers in the 335 community. He currently owns the showroom stock record for the 335 at 13.31, which is a testament to his driving ability. I am very well informed on what all the modded 335s are capable of.
Anyway if you really want to have a vague idea of how strongly the 335i is modded, ask your brother if the modded car (page 1) is a e90, e92 or an m3.

He'll tell you something... interesting.

Last edited by Legion5; 12-17-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

First, I never said the stock turbos are weak, read more carefully. The point of saying the 335i has small turbos is that they are maxing out at what, about 15-16 psi? This is not a condescending remark, its a factual one. You can only spin an impellor so fast before it fails. Hence why someone is developing a turbo upgrade. I want them to come out with some bigger turbos for the 335, I want my brother's car to be faster. I like the 335s. Its fairly common for people to want to upgrade turbos in a factory turbo car which runs at the track. I'm not sure why you think I'm talking about the car negatively. It has a lot of pluses over my mustang.

I agree that a chipped 335 will most likely beat any Non-IC supercharged 3V. You are right, results are what matters. My results are 11.57 @ 120. Mine's not even the fastest stock block Blown 3V. What 335 has done that?

You still haven't answered anything about what you have ran. And I'm still trying to figure out the relevance of your question about the picture of the Bimmer on the first page.

Quick Reply: BMW vs Mustang Gt /part 2