Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Who would win? Stock '08 Mustang GT or SRT-8 Challenger???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Default Who would win? Stock '08 Mustang GT or SRT-8 Challenger???

Ok, so I don't know a lot about these cars(i'm gonna go do some research in a minute here) But I thought these things were supposed to be fast... I played around with one on the highway this morning.

I was on my way to work and I see this giant orange boat up ahead in traffic, and I realize it's a new Challenger. I make my way through traffic to see if it's the R/T or SRT or what. Turns out it was the SRT8. He got into the next lane and i'm assuming he gunned it, so I did too... but then I started closing on him and I had to ease of the throttle a little bit. I was only at about 90% throttle and I was staying with him. At first I was like... no way... Traffic started to close up on us so we couldn't get 2 open lanes side by side and we had to slow down. I got ahead of him and then a lane opened up but just 1. SO I got into that lane and waited for him to get in behind me. Once I saw he was entirely in the lane I gunned it. I'm again assuming he did too because he definitely wasn't going the same speed as traffic anymore. I finished out my 3rd gear and started 4th for just a second I was doing about 110 and there was a decent amount of distance between us and I steadily pulled away from him until I let off.

NOW it is possible he just didn't down shift into his best gear or maybe it is a automatic(do the SRTs come in auto?) I don't know... but it was completely unexpected to me. I was expecting to get my doors blown off and I just wanted to see what the car was made of. Reminds me of an encounter I had with a vette on the road lol... I got chased down by this vette and figured ah what the hell it'll be fun... I gun it and put like 3-4 car lengths on him and then all of a sudden he pulls me in REALLY fast and goes flying by me. We slowed down enough that I could talk to the guy and I realized it was a Z06 and it was definitely NOT stock and I tell the guy "Now that's just not fair" and he laughed and goes "Sorry, I was on my phone, I couldn't down shift" :-| I can't imagine how bad that would of been if he was in his gear lol. Anyway!! Back to the Challenger! What do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM
karrarararararar
1st Gear Member

if it was an 08 then it had to be an auto. i would have expected it to keep up better too
Old 03-06-2009, 09:03 AM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
Ok, so I don't know a lot about these cars(i'm gonna go do some research in a minute here) But I thought these things were supposed to be fast... I played around with one on the highway this morning.

I was on my way to work and I see this giant orange boat up ahead in traffic, and I realize it's a new Challenger. I make my way through traffic to see if it's the R/T or SRT or what. Turns out it was the SRT8. He got into the next lane and i'm assuming he gunned it, so I did too... but then I started closing on him and I had to ease of the throttle a little bit. I was only at about 90% throttle and I was staying with him. At first I was like... no way... Traffic started to close up on us so we couldn't get 2 open lanes side by side and we had to slow down. I got ahead of him and then a lane opened up but just 1. SO I got into that lane and waited for him to get in behind me. Once I saw he was entirely in the lane I gunned it. I'm again assuming he did too because he definitely wasn't going the same speed as traffic anymore. I finished out my 3rd gear and started 4th for just a second I was doing about 110 and there was a decent amount of distance between us and I steadily pulled away from him until I let off.

NOW it is possible he just didn't down shift into his best gear or maybe it is a automatic(do the SRTs come in auto?) I don't know... but it was completely unexpected to me. I was expecting to get my doors blown off and I just wanted to see what the car was made of. Reminds me of an encounter I had with a vette on the road lol... I got chased down by this vette and figured ah what the hell it'll be fun... I gun it and put like 3-4 car lengths on him and then all of a sudden he pulls me in REALLY fast and goes flying by me. We slowed down enough that I could talk to the guy and I realized it was a Z06 and it was definitely NOT stock and I tell the guy "Now that's just not fair" and he laughed and goes "Sorry, I was on my phone, I couldn't down shift" :-| I can't imagine how bad that would of been if he was in his gear lol. Anyway!! Back to the Challenger! What do you guys think?
Stock SRT8 > Stock S197.

And yes, SRT8s come in auto. Stick is an -option- for the 09+ Challys.

/End thread.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

SRT8 wins
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SubTexel
Stock SRT8 > Stock S197.

And yes, SRT8s come in auto. Stick is an -option- for the 09+ Challys.

/End thread.
That is correct!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

OK i have ridden in a stock SRT-8, Number 12/8400(maybe 8600 i cant remember) Right when they came out. They are not all that fast, especially from a roll. I had videos from inside of it and it sounds clean and its quick, but i would be SHOCKED if that thing pulled a low 13. The speedo wasnt moving up as quick as i thought it would either. I really think they are overrated.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

the srt8 should be faster than a s197
Old 03-06-2009, 09:33 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

stock for stock maybe... but not by much
Old 03-06-2009, 09:40 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 05slpGT
stock for stock maybe... but not by much
there is a rather large gap stock for stock. a CAI tuneed S197 would be a better run, but will still fall back about .5-1car
Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

C&D Pulled a 13.8 @ 103 in a Stock GT and a 13.3 @ 108 in a Challenger SRT8. They also commented the SRT8 has a short first gear, which is probably what contributed to the 13.3 et. If he was going WOT... those things are dogs on the highway and must have some pretty long gears.

These cars weigh 4200 pounds and only have 425 hp. throw in an automatic and that's a lot of drivetrain loss and a potentially over rated engine.... who knows...

Quick Reply: Who would win? Stock '08 Mustang GT or SRT-8 Challenger???