Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

For those who run et street radials

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
What part of "i drove these tires for 17K miles" did you miss?

I daily drove them 275/40/17 for 17,000 miles in North Eastern Indiana. Despite myth, it really does rain here. That's how we grow corn.

If you drive like a responsible human being who knows that it's wet out, and that you're on a set of drag radials, you will have no more problems than you would with regular street tires.

If you WANT to kick the rear out, or break traction, it's not hard by any means, even in my GT with little more than stock power. The same can be said for any tire like that though.

Brains/Common sense will take you a long way in the rain.
Well, I guess you're one of those lucky MFs! Like moosetang said, these tires weren't designed for daily driving use and are not safe for it. I drove like a responsibe human being, after about a month of daily driving, I got caught in some rain, I slowed down to about 35 mph but still lost control and went straight into the center wall of the highway, I was on about 26-28 psi, luckily it was at around 4am and there was no one else on the road.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big50
^^ ooops was writing post while you posted. Thanx

I respect what everyone has to say. I just want to make clear my mustang is not the car i drive everyday, maybe 2 days a week. I only want to run these tires during the summer. Living in CA, you really don't have unexpected rain let alone rain during the summer. What i can gather from all the posts, is it is safe to run them in dry conditions. So, I will probably use them unless i can get a really good deal on some wheels. Oh, the main reason i want run them is i'm getting a saleen blower and would like to have the traction to enjoy it. 475 hp and 4.10's i figure i'll need as much as i can get.
if its a weekend car, then you will probably be ok, just be careful.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Stkjock;6028673]the OP lives in CA, not much rain, 400-500 miles a month and summer use only

Please lets be mindful of the facts

OP I have MTs on and they are fine for highway use, keep the air to the 30psi area and they will be just like any radial on the hwy. As mentioned just be wary of heavier rain.[/QUOTE]

I agree. With the exception of the rain thing (in northern cali it rains quite a bit). I've been using mine for DD and enjoy the traction. I'll be switching out to some bigger tires shortly but for clear weather driving they are great.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

So long as you don't get caught in the rain, you'll be fine. As it's not your daily driver, I wouldn't worry about running them if I were you.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

if you are driving the car every day, i would reccomend you get Nitto 555R's instead........more tread depth, more street friendly.

but for 2 days a week, m/t street radials should be fine........you better know what your doing in the rain though. go slow as hell...these tires will kill you in a heartbeat if you don't have fast reflexes and paying attention.pull over if need be.

they're fine on the highway and otherwise......keep them at a reasonable pressure. i drive 40 miles each way to the track..........LOVE foolin around on 'em.........slam 2nd and 3rd as hard as i want, these suckers HOOK
Old 03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

lets stay on topic and keep the personal attacks out of our posting