Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Stock SRT-4 vs. 2 modded stangs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 AM
mike08
2nd Gear Member

Default Stock SRT-4 vs. 2 modded stangs

-My car: mods listed in sig
-Friend's Mustang: 2003 GT with full bolt-ons minus upper and lower intake and has 3.73 gears.
-2005 SRT-4: Greddy BOV

A couple of friends and I were hanging out at sonic waiting for this SRT-4 to show up. He finally shows up and right when he pulls in, it sounds not stock so we thought the guy was BS'ing with us about it being stock. It ended up having the BOV maybe something else, IDK for sure. Im waiting for some SRT-4 guys to chime in.

TO THE RACE.....

We get on the freeway and we do 2 races.
First one is from a 30 roll. Im in 2nd and we all punch it. My friend with the other mustang instantly pulls and is ahead of me by about 4 cars and I am ahead of the SRT-4 by about 3 all the way to about 115.

Second race is a 60 roll. We all line up and hit it, both the mustangs instantly pull ahead and by mid 5th (probably about 130) we shut down with my friends mustang about 1.5 cars ahead of me and im about 4 cars ahead of the SRT-4.

Sound right? Does the neon () have more mods than he admitted? He said the SRT-4's came underrated this year and he said he was pushing about 18 lbs. of boost.

Cliffs:
-No cliffs
-Read the post
-OP thanks you
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Nice cliff notes. Can one of the turbo guys chime in on why someone would only upgrade a BOV if they are running stock boost? Racing in 5th gear? I know you have 4.10s, but I'm sure it would still be like hitting a brick wall in that tall overdrive gear.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

People with SRT-4's will often upgrade their BOV spring to allow for more boost, the other option is of course a different BOV. Basically instead of 14psi they bump it up to 18-20psi.

BTW When you said your friend had full bolt-ons except upper and lower intake are you referring to the stock plenum and the stock intake manifold? So basically he is running LT's, H or X pipe, catback exhaust, aftermarket TB, CAI, UDP, and 3.73 gears? Is he tuned? I just don't see him putting 4 cars on you instantly when the only mods you are short of him on are LT's, UDP, and a TB but you have a steeper gear. Your two cars should have held together pretty close until you started to run out of gear.

Last edited by Kerns; 04-22-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Mike 83 GLX
2nd Gear Member

The wastegate dictates amount of boost, not the BOV. He probably had an aftermarket boost controller too.

The BOV just releases the compressed air when you close the throttle, so you don't damage the turbo. People usually get an aftermarket BOV to change the sound of the air rushing out....unless they need more flow due to a turbo upgrade.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike 83 GLX
The wastegate dictates amount of boost, not the BOV. He probably had an aftermarket boost controller too.

The BOV just releases the compressed air when you close the throttle, so you don't damage the turbo. People usually get an aftermarket BOV to change the sound of the air rushing out....unless they need more flow due to a turbo upgrade.
Yeah sorry, wastegate spring. I know a lot of SRT-4 owners were complaining the BOV was leaking air as well though before a certain point so that you weren't actually achieving full boost.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
mike08
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kernsx21x
BTW When you said your friend had full bolt-ons except upper and lower intake are you referring to the stock plenum and the stock intake manifold? So basically he is running LT's, H or X pipe, catback exhaust, aftermarket TB, CAI, UDP, and 3.73 gears? Is he tuned? I just don't see him putting 4 cars on you instantly when the only mods you are short of him on are LT's, UDP, and a TB but you have a steeper gear. Your two cars should have held together pretty close until you started to run out of gear.
Im pretty sure he has a stock plenum and i know for sure he has a stock intake manifold. He ran away from both of us from a low roll and i was in 2nd at about 35 so it was not driver error but from a higher roll, the outcome was a lot different. And he is not tuned.

The videos should be posted soon. Ill be sure to link them here so you guys can see whats up.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
mike08
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Nice cliff notes. Can one of the turbo guys chime in on why someone would only upgrade a BOV if they are running stock boost? Racing in 5th gear? I know you have 4.10s, but I'm sure it would still be like hitting a brick wall in that tall overdrive gear.
5th takes over from 110-112 up. Lets just say i saw the skittle coming and im glad he didnt take it over 140.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

If he was pushing 18psi then it wasn't stock, they push about 14 stock but it might spike a couple psi every now and then but you'd have to be looking at the gauge 24/7 to notice it, if he said its 18 then its 18, I don't see a reason why he would say that if it wasn't. at 18 psi it might've been putting down somewhere around 250whp.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike08
Im pretty sure he has a stock plenum and i know for sure he has a stock intake manifold. He ran away from both of us from a low roll and i was in 2nd at about 35 so it was not driver error but from a higher roll, the outcome was a lot different. And he is not tuned.

The videos should be posted soon. Ill be sure to link them here so you guys can see whats up.
So the differences between the two cars is LT's, UDP, 3.73 gears, and TB vs 4.10 gears and a tune. I dunno where you are getting killed. Because from a roll at say 30-35 mph you are even farther into your power band then he is. So, say at 30mph he is going to be at around 3k rpms, you will be at around 3200rmps. His car should slowly pull on you, I just don't see why he is pulling 5 cars on you.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

You honestly race past 4th gear? Who's got the video?

Quick Reply: Stock SRT-4 vs. 2 modded stangs