Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

2 step VS stall converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 PM
scubasteve22
3rd Gear Member

Default 2 step VS stall converter

of course i know the 2 step is for the stick and the stall is for the auto..but it seems like everyone that gets an auto is always so pumped for a stall converter cause they can launch hard...of course a stock stick car u would have to just feather the throttle to get the right rpm but wouldent a 2 step be the same thing? so shouldent u just get a stick for the fun factor and the 2 step for the street (seems like the best of both worlds)
Old 05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

or you could just feather the throttle and put the 300 you saved into some custom tuning and come out even better
Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

the benefit to a two step is for launching at the track. once you have found the combo and launch RPM that works best for your set up the 2 step allows you to plant your foot to the floor and hold the RPM at the desired level. then you drop the clutch and go. it allows consistant and better launches.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
scubasteve22
3rd Gear Member

yea i mean i know what it does but it just seems like all people talk about with autos is what stall they have like its the best thing in the world? i was just makin sure that there is nothing diff between the 2...i guess cause stick can pick whatever rpm they want whenever so autos are just happy to be able to launch higher than idle
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scubasteve22
yea i mean i know what it does but it just seems like all people talk about with autos is what stall they have like its the best thing in the world? i was just makin sure that there is nothing diff between the 2...i guess cause stick can pick whatever rpm they want whenever so autos are just happy to be able to launch higher than idle
I guess so. Autos will always launch better than manuals.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

autos might be a little more consistant, especially for the more 'not so good' driver, but thats pretty broad to say they're 'always' better at launching
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by scubasteve22
two different applications. 2 step is for sticks. stall for the auto. they will never be used on the same car.

a higher stall converter allows an auto car to launch harder. then of course is the transbreak, that is the best thing ever for an auto on the strip.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
autos might be a little more consistant, especially for the more 'not so good' driver, but thats pretty broad to say they're 'always' better at launching
99% of the time they are. They almost always provide a faster 60ft time. Kind of difficult/damn near impossible to match the instant power an automatic can provide. If the tires can handle it, auto will launch best.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:02 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Trying to drag race competitively with a stick is very difficult. Autos are just far, far more consistent.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:18 AM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
a higher stall converter allows an auto car to launch harder. then of course is the transbreak, that is the best thing ever for an auto on the strip.
Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Trying to drag race competitively with a stick is very difficult. Autos are just far, far more consistent.
WINNARZZZZZZZZ!!

Guys get excited for getting a stall because it can knock half a second, a lot of times even more, off the ET. Keeps the car in it's powerband longer.

Quick Reply: 2 step VS stall converter