Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

2006 Mustang GT V.S. 1995 Vette. A race and some questions.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wink 2006 Mustang GT V.S. 1995 Vette. A race and some questions.

Saw some people chilling out on the drag while me and my girl were enjoying a drive.
We were turning around as we heard "Hey wanna race?"

I rarely race but I was feeling frisky so I asked them which car wanted to race.
There was a 2001 Camaro SS and a 1995 Corvette.
They claimed the vette was stock. The Camaro had had some work done to it (not sure how much the guy did not specify everything)

So they said we both will race but lets do the vette first.
I say ok. (Pretty nice and polite guys.)
We drive a ways to an empty old road. I tried to get the guy in the vette to race from a dig but he said no. He said he wanted to race from 40mph (which I thought was ridiculus).
I was'nt about to not race since taking the time to drive 15min somewhere so I said to my girl screw it.

Well... we ended running about a 1/4 mi. from a 40mph roll and I ended up losing by a little more than half a car length.

After that it was the SS's turn. I did race him from a dig. I stayed pretty good with him up untill it was time to switch to 3rd. (half a car behind him at 3rd). Then I missed 3rd gear and he was GONE.
I expected to lose to him pretty good given he had work done to it but missing 3rd did not help me out haha.

After the races we went back to where I met them and shot the **** for a while. Then me and my girl left. My girl told me as we were leaving she heard them talking some trash about the turnout of the race and what they thought about Mustangs but I don't know if they really did or she was saying that to get under my skin a little. (she likes to pull my chain sometimes), and they were really nice when we were visiting.

Anyways...that is the story.
My question in this though is how do you guys think it should have turned out between me and the vette? Especially at a 40mph roll start?
Did I do o.k. to end up losing by half a car length?
Another question.... could.... and should I have beat him from a dig?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-31-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Roll races are to hard to determin, who ever carries more momentum or takes a very little bit of a jump usually pulls ahead. Both cars probaby ran low 13's and your at a mid 13 so thats where a small loss comes from. It would be more of a drivers race from a dig depending on who could launch better. -Jon
Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Its hard to say, if the vette was stock he probably would have pulled you through the quarter

They have basically the same hp and torque as a s197 but weight less, typically they run low 13's from what I have seen
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 AM
procs2v
3rd Gear Member

not bad, most lt1 vette run mid to high 13's, and the ls car should have started to pull in 4th but who nows.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:32 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

The 95 Vette has the LT1 motor, right? I don't think those run low 13's, but they probably aren't that much slower than that.

If a guy doesn't wanna run from a dig, chances are because they know they will not launch well at all (****ty driver, bald tires, too much ZMAX in the gas tank, etc).
Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I remember those year vettes being high 13, low 14 second cars on average just like the S197s. If he actually was stock. he was still two to three hundred pounds lighter than you so that should have gave him a small advantage. Thats why he wanted to go from a roll to takeaway your launch advantage with that solid axle.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You would of burned him from a dig imo. Good runs though. I wonder if that Vette really was stock or not.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

The LT1's dyno around 250rwhp stock. The Vette's supposedly had more hp stock and I've seen M6 LT1 f-body cars dyno 260'ish rwhp. So if it was stock, it had the hp advantage and the weight advantage. Of course, the LT1 cars also put down around 290rwtq stock. About as much as an LS1 car. They're torquey bastards and make it WAY down low.

Last edited by 98LS1; 05-31-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Very low, peak torque is around 2K rpm, I believe.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Well I KNEW I should have raced from a dig.
The way it went I could FEEL that I would have beat him from a dig.

However, he would NOT race from a dig. He had his mind flat out made up.

But... I CHOSE to race him under his conditions, and I lost the race.
No exuses. I chose to accept the conditions.
Regardless it was a good run I think even though I wish we would have raced the way nature intended. (if it's not from a dig it's not a real race to me haha.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT V.S. 1995 Vette. A race and some questions.