Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Cobra and LS1 T/A vs My SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:48 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Default Cobra and LS1 T/A vs My SS

Earlier today I was out cruising, and spotted a Green 99-01 Cobra. It had an exhaust but looked stock other than that. Had temp dealer tags on it so I'm assuming he just bought it. I rolled up next to him and he looked like he wanted to play. The road we were on turns into a 6 lane highway so we slow down a bit and let all the traffic clear in front.

I honk off the first race and instantly pull away and put about 4-5 lengths on him. I shut down and he pulls up next to me again with a huge smile on his face. I told him to go whenever he wanted, so he took off but put no more than a bumper on me. I stopped his pull pretty quickly and put 4-5 cars on him again. The first thing he asked me was, if I'm supercharged. The second thing he asked was if I had an LS1 which I replied yes with a big smile. We exchanged thumbs up and went on our way, it was fun.

Then, as the Cobra was still behind me, an all black LS1 Trans am pulled up next to us. It had an exhaust and sounded good. It also looked mean and he was eager to race. The first race he went first and I was at his door. we were dead locked. Then around 70 or so I started slowly inching up on him. I pull even with him and about this time I see a car in his lane so I shut down. We line up again for a second race. I honk it off and this time I get the jump. I jump out about 1/2 a car and then proceed to pull out 1 1/2 cars in front of him before we shut down.

Both guys were really cool and we had fun. Its nice to finally see my mods paying off. I haven't had the chance to go to a 1/4 mile track since I was stock so this is the first time Ive been able to see how shes responding up top.

BTW I have a 99 LS1 with Lid, LS6 Intake Manifold, Hooker Long Tubes & OR Y-pipe, Magnaflow exhaust and a few other minor mods.

Last edited by The Stig; 09-20-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:52 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Nice runs! Sounds like the Cobra was stock except for exhaust.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good runs. Could you feel a difference with that LS6 intake?
Old 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Nice runs! Sounds like the Cobra was stock except for exhaust.
yeah, That's what I was thinking. Plus I think the driver was still learning the car a little bit. I didn't expect to pull on it so hard. It looked good though, was like a metallic forest green and it sounded good to.

Originally Posted by Stone629
Good runs. Could you feel a difference with that LS6 intake?
Yes, It pulls a lot harder up top. I highly recommend a new Intake Manifold to the 98-00 LS1s. I was reading one guys install and he claimed 24 rwhp and 14 rwtq by adding the LS6 Intake alone. He had other mods too. http://ls1howto.com/howto/geniii/int...ph-1-15-01.jpg
Old 09-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

sweet
Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 AM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Stig
Yes, It pulls a lot harder up top. I highly recommend a new Intake Manifold to the 98-00 LS1s. I was reading one guys install and he claimed 24 rwhp and 14 rwtq by adding the LS6 Intake alone. He had other mods too. http://ls1howto.com/howto/geniii/int...ph-1-15-01.jpg
Well, damn. If that's the case, looks like I'd better start looking at an LS6 intake manifold for mine. Nice kills man.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 AM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

LS6 intake is a good bang for the buck. If you're planning on a cam setup, or anything more than a cam, I'd suggest waiting and getting a FAST manifold.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98LS1
LS6 intake is a good bang for the buck. If you're planning on a cam setup, or anything more than a cam, I'd suggest waiting and getting a FAST manifold.
It'd be a while before I'd think about a cam. I'll probably build a different motor when I do a cam. And, when I have a different motor, it'd have a magnacharger sitting on top of it, so the LS6 intake manifold would go out the door anyways. But, I'm getting WAY too far ahead of myself thinking about that. It won't happen until the car is paid off, and I've got a better paying job. At most, on this motor, I might do a mild cam, and possibly LS6 heads. But, nothing too outrageous that an LS6 manifold would hold me back. I found a company, on eBay, that's selling brand new GM LS6 intake manifolds, with the coolant lines to swap it over to an LS1, fuel rails, bolts, and all gaskets. Good price? I know I keep seeing a lot of used ones on LS1tech, for around $300. But, I'd still have to get gaskets, the coolant lines, and new bolts.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tspence45
It'd be a while before I'd think about a cam. I'll probably build a different motor when I do a cam. And, when I have a different motor, it'd have a magnacharger sitting on top of it, so the LS6 intake manifold would go out the door anyways. But, I'm getting WAY too far ahead of myself thinking about that. It won't happen until the car is paid off, and I've got a better paying job. At most, on this motor, I might do a mild cam, and possibly LS6 heads. But, nothing too outrageous that an LS6 manifold would hold me back. I found a company, on eBay, that's selling brand new GM LS6 intake manifolds, with the coolant lines to swap it over to an LS1, fuel rails, bolts, and all gaskets. Good price? I know I keep seeing a lot of used ones on LS1tech, for around $300. But, I'd still have to get gaskets, the coolant lines, and new bolts.

I bought mine off of a company on ebay. It was brand new manifold with the coolant lines for $375. Honestly I didn't bother getting a gasket. There wasn't a gasket when I took the old one off, so I just put the new one on and it seems to fit nicely. There's pieces of foam under the manifold to make it sit snugly. I have no problems with it. If you are looking to save money, I have heard you can sand down the bottom of the LS6 manifold and fit your LS1 coolant lines under it, but I didn't bother with this. The LS6 Manifold by itself was like $325. And its perfect for a bolt on car like your planning.

I plan on running a Cam with a 100 shot and don't intend to change my Manifold. If I have too change it, I will later and put the LS6 Intake on the wife's Z28.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

^^^^Yours is probably from the same company that I'm looking at. They've got a completely bare manifold, one with the coolant lines, and then another one with injectors and tb too. They probably just upped the price a little since you got yours. I'll probably end up ordering one before the night's over. lol

Quick Reply: Cobra and LS1 T/A vs My SS