Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

TL Type S 1: Solstice GXP 0

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 AM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Default TL Type S 1: Solstice GXP 0

Another boring DD kill, but the guy was kind of driving like an assbag so it was worth it. I was driving to the office this morning when this Solstice GXP (newer one) kept zooming around me at lights and revving trying to get me to go. We finally caught a light at an intersection where the stop line was diagonal so he started with about a half car advantage. The light turned green and we both punched it. A couple of quick notes:

1) My tires are almost completely bald, I just had to order new ones two days ago. So if I don't turn TC off it kills me from a dig.
2) I didn't turn TC, the heated seats or my climate control off because I was lazy.

I pulled even to him at about 30mph and put about 1.5 cars on him to 60. At 65mph (way faster than I should have been going in that area but we had a clear road) I shut it down about 2 cars ahead. I was impressed that he kept up like he did, I thought those things were turds but supposedly the GXPs run about 14.2 @ 98mph which is pretty much dead on what my car is supposed to run stock. If I had run into one of the boosted ones it probably would have been a different story, but I'm excited to do my exhaust after the IRS rapes me this tax season....it should really wake this car up.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
SkillzDatKillz
Mista High School Playa

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Another boring DD kill, but the guy was kind of driving like an assbag so it was worth it. I was driving to the office this morning when this Solstice GXP (newer one) kept zooming around me at lights and revving trying to get me to go. We finally caught a light at an intersection where the stop line was diagonal so he started with about a half car advantage. The light turned green and we both punched it. A couple of quick notes:

1) My tires are almost completely bald, I just had to order new ones two days ago. So if I don't turn TC off it kills me from a dig.
2) I didn't turn TC, the heated seats or my climate control off because I was lazy.

I pulled even to him at about 30mph and put about 1.5 cars on him to 60. At 65mph (way faster than I should have been going in that area but we had a clear road) I shut it down about 2 cars ahead. I was impressed that he kept up like he did, I thought those things were turds but supposedly the GXPs run about 14.2 @ 98mph which is pretty much dead on what my car is supposed to run stock. If I had run into one of the boosted ones it probably would have been a different story, but I'm excited to do my exhaust after the IRS rapes me this tax season....it should really wake this car up.
The GXP's are boosted..
Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

yeah, the GXP's are boosted... stock I'm sure they can break into the 13's and trap into the triple digits opn a good day with a good driver, a tune wakes these cars up something fierce

http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-Sol...lip-19893.html

pretty believable story considering the cars I've beat in my lincoln when I shouldn't have... I almost never run into great drivers on the street, I have no idea why

driver for driver and stock for stock you guys should have been right next to each other but this is the way the cookie crumbles, good kill WRX

how does your car take to bolt on's? I know a lot of those 300+BHP N/A import sixxers don't respond well to bolt on's so I was wondering

also, I know your car has a form of variable valve timing, have people been lowering the RPM at which the more aggressive hammer comes down and seeing better performance or?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I raced a Sky Redline with a tune and he rolled me pretty good when I was stock. I have a thread with a video around here somewhere.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:47 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
yeah, the GXP's are boosted... stock I'm sure they can break into the 13's and trap into the triple digits opn a good day with a good driver, a tune wakes these cars up something fierce

http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-Sol...lip-19893.html

pretty believable story considering the cars I've beat in my lincoln when I shouldn't have... I almost never run into great drivers on the street, I have no idea why

driver for driver and stock for stock you guys should have been right next to each other but this is the way the cookie crumbles, good kill WRX

how does your car take to bolt on's? I know a lot of those 300+BHP N/A import sixxers don't respond well to bolt on's so I was wondering

also, I know your car has a form of variable valve timing, have people been lowering the RPM at which the more aggressive hammer comes down and seeing better performance or?
Ah word I didn't realize those were the boosted ones, makes more sense why he kept up. I really can't take much credit on being a good driver since my car is point mash and drive unless I switch it into Sport Shift mode haha.

Morbid as far as bolt on's and the J35A there is pretty much only one of them that gives really significant gains which is the j-pipe. The "headers" on the engine of all TLs are essentially welded into the block, so the next thing to replace is this piece. It is very restrictive as you can see from the pics (stock is on the left), which is why people have literally seen a 8-10whp and 12-13wtq just by swapping this piece out.

It looks like Honda purposely bent the pipes to reduce torque (and the resulting torque steer) since it's a FWD platform. Precat deletes, Underdrive pullies, CAIs, stuff like that definitely help the car move better but I think the highest anyone has gotten a TL or Type-S to NA is around 285whp with boltons, PnP heads / intake manifolds / etc. That was with a MT too.

There have been supercharger kits out for a while for the base TLs and they just developed a turbo kit for the TL-S...a few guys have run up to a 75 shot of nitrous successfully on this motor. But I'll never mod this car to that extent. I'd rather save the heavy modding for my next project car.

There are VTEC controllers out there as well that some people have used to lower the engagement point, but supposedly the car just doesn't run as well and it doesn't make it any faster by using them. I can't remember the technical reasons why, but that's what I dug up through research.

Can you tell I'm a car guy??! Every car I get I research the hell out of!! haha

Since I'm keeping this car for a while and my buddy is trading in his TL-S on a G37S or a Tundra, I snagged his cleared and blacked out headlights we did for him about a year ago, as well as some HID looking fog light bulbs and a BEEEFFFYY sway bar. Car is dirty as poop but here are some crackberry pics:

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 01-27-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Nice kill WRX! I have heard some talk about the GXP waking up pretty good with mods/tuning. I guess its basically like tuning a turbo Balt, but they say the Solstice's gearing sucks something terrible and kills the car.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Nice kill WRX! I have heard some talk about the GXP waking up pretty good with mods/tuning. I guess its basically like tuning a turbo Balt, but they say the Solstice's gearing sucks something terrible and kills the car.
Thanks Stone! That actually makes sense, it seems like where that guy would have shifted into 3rd gear his car kind of lost steam, where as 3rd and 4th are where mine wake up.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Nice TL. I really like those cars.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

pretty slick car you got there. nice DD
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
NJShelby120
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I raced a Sky Redline with a tune and he rolled me pretty good when I was stock. I have a thread with a video around here somewhere.
i test drove one of those..... my ex gf wanted one.... i gotta say, stock the thing moved!..... good kill wrx.. nice pics too... makes me jealous, dont see any snow and it looks warmer in nc.... haha

Last edited by NJShelby120; 01-28-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: TL Type S 1: Solstice GXP 0