Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

USA, USA, USA!!!(Formula 1)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default USA, USA, USA!!!(Formula 1)

I know there aren't too many folks around here that follow F1, but this should still get most folks around here energized, even if only a little. Grand Prix racing in the 1920's and 30's eventually grew into Formula 1. But in the pre war era it was rather nationalistic, where teams weren't so much just about the manufacturer or the team, but the country of origin. People took a sense of national pride in the teams from their country because they were just that, their country's team. Well, it's coming full circle for 2010, with the team shifts, there are now what can be considered some national F1 teams. Team Lotus has been bought and revitalized by a Malaysian consortium, with backing from the Malaysian government. There's also force India, the Indian team obviously. And of course, based out of Charlotte, NC team US F1, building an American made Grand Prix car for the first time since Dan Gurney in the 60's. To be powered by a Cosworth engine.

Personally, I'm brimming with anticipation. And I think the chances of victory are good, the team was started last year for it's first competing season this year by Ken Anderson(former F1 technical director) and Peter Windsor(35 years experience in F1), and backed by Chad Hurley(co founder and CEO of Youtube, basically covering the financial success of team US F1). This team is led technically by guys that have huge amounts of F1 experience, and led financially by a guy who has huge amounts of entrepreneurial experience.

http://www.usgpe.com/news/welcome-video.html
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 AM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

lol when iw as little i wanted to drive in the F1 cars... ok i still do
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Whoa, I knew those F1 cars were no daily driver or anything, but I had no idea they were so difficult to pilot and keep on the road. Kind of gives a whole new respect towards the drivers that man handle those beasts lap after lap.

The monitoring system was pretty impressive too.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I've never seen that episode of top gear, that was pretty cool especially considering that Richard Hammond is 10 times the driver compared to most of us

I hope they bring a f1 back to north america, I've heard rumors that Montreal might be coming back.....That would be an awesome event to attend, Montreal is a really fun city to visit
Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I wish there was real racing in America... not NASCAR driving in circles
Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say NASCAR isn't real racing. I'm sure it takes serious talent to run 200 mph and still make a bend, but dammit its about boring as hell to watch, IMO!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drhoward
I've never seen that episode of top gear, that was pretty cool especially considering that Richard Hammond is 10 times the driver compared to most of us

I hope they bring a f1 back to north america, I've heard rumors that Montreal might be coming back.....That would be an awesome event to attend, Montreal is a really fun city to visit
Seriously, he's driven Veyrons, M-F1s, that crazy rocket car he crashed and almost died in...and to hear his reaction on the big one while he was accelerating down the straight was amazing. It gives you a true feeling of how monstrously fast those cars are!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Since the rules changes recently the engines are limited to 2.4L 90* V8's with an imposed 18,000rpm limit, and are making around 750bhp in a car that weighs about 1,340lbs with a driver AND a full fuel load. The one he drove was from the era a few years back where they could run 3.0L V10's with I think a 18,000rpm limit and they were making around 950bhp with about the same weight. Or they could run a 2.5 or 2.6L(can't recall exactly) with a 20,200rpm limit iirc.

Everything about those cars is extreme. They entire thing is built totally from carbon fiber. Even the brake discs are a carbon composite, and they routinely brake at 4+ g's. They corner sustained around 3.5g's of lateral acceleration, which is what's so hard on the drivers. Your arms and head/helmet are being ripped to the side at 3.5 times their own weight in force.

They generate such massive downforce(what lets them operate at such extreme g's) that at around 120mph the car can drive upside down since it's creating more downforce than it weighs. Full downforce I think is like 3-4 times the cars weight, and as a result they have to run massively stiff suspension to prevent the car from bottoming just from downforce at top speed, and keep a consistent ride height. Of course, as a result the car rides almost like it has no suspension, which is also hard on the driver.

One of the things people complained about for team US F1 is that the drivers aren't American. But in order to drive in an F1 race you have to have an FIA Super License, which no US driver qualifies for right now(though they may before the end of this year). and Montreal is on the schedule this year for the second week in June.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I have followed F1 since I was a young kid. I have to say though, I don't think the US team stands a chance. From what I saw most recently they were only going to be able to field one car, and weren't going to be able to make the first few races. And with the exception of last year no manufacturer in their first year has had any measurable success.

My big interest for this season is the return of the much hated/loved Michael Schumacher. I would love to see him come in and clean house his first year back as a comparatively old man

Quick Reply: USA, USA, USA!!!(Formula 1)