Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Vortech'd GT vs Camm'd GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Nice kill! Sounds like his GT was pretty strong but you simply out powered him up top.

You smoked him with a non-intercooled V3>?

Noice...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by acarzt
Full bolt-ons, cams, and a great set of heads will get you to the same power levels of a mild FI setup.

It'll cost you about $6,000 in parts alone tho lol And you'll be sitting around 400-450whp.
what world do you live in. a n/a set up is not getting to 400whp without some serious heads and cams, full exhaust and maybe intake.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
Full bolt-ons, cams, and a great set of heads will get you to the same power levels of a mild FI setup.

It'll cost you about $6,000 in parts alone tho lol And you'll be sitting around 400-450whp.

BUT, all of those mods will also work as supporting mods for FI(except maybe the cams depending on what you get)

Throw in some forged internals, and a stroke if you so choose and you're gonna be looking at close to $10k. But at least you'll be ready to slap a blower onto that bad boy and make huge numbers :-)
Yeah, I don't think without F/I, or a small shot, you will be hitting 450 RWHP N/A safely. Mishri posted a link of a 3V with a fully built motor, with racecar type cams, heads, etc. and even the dyno shop said, the car would barely start even after a tune, but it was tuned sooooo aggressive, that it could barely run. That is what happens when you try to push the absolute limit on these cars.

I'd say 400 RWHP is possible with Cams with the right grind, some good flowing heads, and every supporting mod you can think of, with a strong tune.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Get new gears and he won't ever get the lead!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJShelby120
So from these responses, you guys pretty much agree with me.... although ones overall plans for his/her car has alot to do with it as well and thats understandable....... im pretty much sayin if you have the idea of spending 3k for Lt's and cams, might as well save a few more bucks and go forced instead...... more hp from the start plus the ability to upgrade and make more power...... i got my kit from brenspeed for $3700 shipped. i installed it and i have the option of going cooled or meth for some more hp......also its kinda sick how over built a 4.6 3v or one of these motors is from the factory.... so why not take full advantage?
We're definitely on the same page. When you look at the costs vs gains, anything past bolt-ons, gears, tuning, and NSR cams, is already costing what a decent blower kit would costs. Hell, I already have about $2100 tied up in mine with the few mods in my sig. Add another 1700 bucks for LTs and NSR cams, and I'm already at $3800! About what you paid for your supercharger..... and I'm every bit of a 100 hp down from you. I wish at this point I had of just bought a supercharger from the get-go. Some people however, just like NA set-ups, and thats fine, but it does cost more in the long run for equal gains. I've always wanted turn my Mach into a 5.0 and run high compression and make around 400rwhp NA, but I just can't justify it.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Good Kill! sounds like a strong running car! i love n/a motors. Before i bought the mach i looked at an 00 GT with a Head/Cam 3v making 360rwhp. it was pretty sweet!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
what world do you live in. a n/a set up is not getting to 400whp without some serious heads and cams, full exhaust and maybe intake.
lol Hence "A great set of heads" lol

CNL Made 430rwhp on a N/A motor.... No clue exactly what's done. Supposedly it was featured in a mag of MM&FF. Hasn't hit the web yet that i've seen. But here's the dyno....

http://www.cnlperformance.com/05_3v.html

Last edited by acarzt; 03-02-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grabber
Yeah, I don't think without F/I, or a small shot, you will be hitting 450 RWHP N/A safely. Mishri posted a link of a 3V with a fully built motor, with racecar type cams, heads, etc. and even the dyno shop said, the car would barely start even after a tune, but it was tuned sooooo aggressive, that it could barely run. That is what happens when you try to push the absolute limit on these cars.

I'd say 400 RWHP is possible with Cams with the right grind, some good flowing heads, and every supporting mod you can think of, with a strong tune.
BBR put down 400rwhp all motor with a really aggressive tune lol But they did it with the stock IM and their Heads and cams. I think the Comp SPR Stage 3s are more aggressive and the Livernois Stage 3 Heads flow better. The CNL IM flows 330CFM per runner which is a good bit over stock, and it's designed to provide power up to 7k

BBR had to back the car down to 380 rwhp to have a safe tune. It was on a stock block too. *edit* BBR also states that 400 was not safe because they were on stock injectors and the car went lean. They could not get enough fuel to the motor.

If you've got deep pockets you can easily make over 400whp. Stroke it to a 5.0 increase the compression and raise the rev limit to 7k toss on the livernois race heads, might have to get a custom grind cam, and then all the other fixins that go with it. It'll probably cost like $20k lol but we're just day dreaming here right? lol

Anyway, as for the whole N/A vs FI thing. FI has a very clear advantage and far more potential. But it really depends on your plans on what route you decide to go.

I personally intend to have this car for a very very very long time lol I intend on keeping this car way past when it's paid off. And over the many years I want it to grow with me. So I have incredibly long term plans for her lol In the short term I just want full bolt-ons. In the long term(think decade) I want forged internals and an N/A beast. Then eventually when it's not enough anymore i'll slap some FI on there. :-)

Who knows tho lol plans never go the way you plan them lol I might find a killer deal on some FI and get impatient lol(more likely to happen since I am not a patient person lol)
Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

sorry I should have clarified my comments with the stock block. If you stroke it, change the comp ratio and run race fuel yes its possible. Maybe its been done 3 or 4 times that I am aware of.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Would be interesting to see how you two do in the 1/4, I think the times should be very close (high 12s). Sounds like he has a great power band just not enough poweroverall to pull the vortech from up top...

Quick Reply: Vortech'd GT vs Camm'd GT