Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Kerns vs Nisan GTR

Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
again, performance is the only thing you can argue, what a car does... not what you think the quality of the car is... that is subjective and you cannot try to push it as fact

so with that I am done feeding into an argument that will never get solved and wrap up with this...

people would gladly drop 2M on a Picasso because of it's authority and class... according to your argument everybody with money would drop this money on a painting and it dwarfs all other artistic form... sorry, even if I was bill gates rich I would own a GTR over the CL and I would own a pulp fiction poster over a Picaso

besides.. Yaacov Agam artwork looks 5 million times better and is priced in the couple thousands... not couple millions

^^^ that last paragraph directly correlates to what I am trying to say... anything that is subjective is invalid and left up to opinion... so what you think of the CL's interior and quality is not fact but rather what you believe and you have that right... just don't expect others to agree because I think it looks horrendous as I despise gaudy luxo boats and prefer a carbon fiber sport look

BTW, you CAN compare an Audi TT to an Elise... the MSRP's are even in the same ballpark, this is street and strip not upholstery 101

also, I would prefer the Audi TT's interior over the CL's as well

now I would love to hear again how my personal opinion and taste in automobiles is wrong...

you are acting like there are no cars in the 180K price range that can accommodate someone with my taste in interior design and that everyone with money should like a bunch of leather and wood grain

a price difference and a luxurious interior never stopped anyone from comparing them to lower priced sporty/muscle cars... M3 vs Mustang, GTO vs C63 AMG, 300C SRT8 vs M5, ZR1 vs Ferrari, Z06 vs Lambo.... I could go on, but I think you get the point that these cars are being compared whether or not you say they should
So I guess there is no where to go with this argument, you're saying the only way to compare to cars is through performance numbers and price, the rest is just personal taste. While I will say that that's true to an extent; personal taste is something that becomes a factor after you go through cold hard numbers, some interiors and cars are built to a higher standard than others. For instance, I'm sure you would argue with someone that says the 2v's have a nicer interior than a Goat. Course that would only be yours and their opinion. But the GTO has much higher grade materials in its interior than a New Edge does.

My whole point was, the Mercedes costs more because it offers the buyer more than just a performance car. Some of what it offers is a better interior materials and quality, better ride comfort and more prestige. Just because these things are not important to you or I, doesn't mean they are not important to other car buyers. The CL63 is not marketed to the preferences of guys in their 20's. Is the CL63 a better value than the GTR? Not in my opinion it's not. But just remember, these cars are worth what people want to pay for them and that's $80k for a GTR and $180k for a the Merc.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
those guys running 10 's should look into tranny problems with the car .....20.000 tends to b a back breaker !!! Nissan have more sensor s then the space shuttle ,more then enough to datalog how you are treating the car and void the warranty
Yeah.. didn't they get rid of that warranty removing feature because people were breaking their trannys and whining that it shouldn't come from the factory with a feature that will break the car? so now you can't even do that launch mode or whatever it was.. Unless I felt like i was willing to possibly waste 20,000 on a new tranny id just leave it stock.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
LOL

Is that dude on the right wearing some sort of sweater vest?

It's cool that you'll hang out with and feel comfortable around the gays.

oh wait.. the guy is asian... he must be the fly mac daddy pimp of all the asian girls..

oh.. i just found out today i can get fleet pricing on mercs..I think i should call up and get a quote on a CL63 AMG.. I can also get it on fords though.. i think i'd rather get the 5.0...

And morbid.. you are wrong.. everybody would love to have this car interior

on the other hand.. looks are subjective, almost everyone agrees on comfort levels though.. and i'll bet the CL63 has a quieter more comfortable ride.. but despite that, you'll even find 60 year olds who are performance and $$$ minded prefering a GTR to it.. some people will buy the AMG simply because of how expensive it is.. making it an exclusive club type of ideal.. I doubt the majority of the buyers are just wanting the most comfortable car they can find..

Last edited by Mishri; 01-13-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Yeah.. didn't they get rid of that warranty removing feature because people were breaking their trannys and whining that it shouldn't come from the factory with a feature that will break the car? so now you can't even do that launch mode or whatever it was.. Unless I felt like i was willing to possibly waste 20,000 on a new tranny id just leave it stock.
im not sure if they did , but Nissan used that feature to get their 0-60 time and then brag about it by listing it in the performance stats. its kinda like putting slicks on a gt500 and drop the clutch @ 5000 rpm and listing it doing 0-60 in 3.5 . here's a you tube vid of a tester telling you how to disable the vdc like Nissan did

Problems
# The problems that have been reported with the GT-R relate to the first gear cog, which under stress can develop cracks and then fail entirely, destroying the gearbox in the process. Like many new supercars from Porsche, BMW and Ferrari, the GT-R comes with a launch control feature, which can be used to produce the dramatic acceleration figures that the car boasts by holding the engine at 4,800 rpm and then quickly releasing the clutch. This allows it to go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds. Revving the engine at a higher rpm produces more torque, but it also incredibly hard on the gearbox when it is suddenly transmitted to all four wheels in a car that weighs 3,800 lbs. Because there is so much traction available, the wheels "hop" instead of spinning, sending more force into the gearbox. The result has been the destruction of some GT-R gearboxes, which cost $20,000 to replace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoJdQXmwu8
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

That GTR was wheel hopping something terrible. It needs a set of slicks all the way around to stop that and save the 1st gear cog... either that or don't use the launch control at all imo.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
That GTR was wheel hopping something terrible. It needs a set of slicks all the way around to stop that and save the 1st gear cog... either that or don't use the launch control at all imo.
yeah , not sure if Nissan change it or not , but they have a black box that will data log certain parameters, and they know if you disabled the vdc , from what i have seen , there is a disclaimer in the owners manual about voiding the warranty if this feature is used !
lol I couldn't get over the 20k transmission !!! damn thats more then my car cost new !!!

Last edited by turbo 2.8; 01-13-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Lol, that disclaimer **** would **** me off!! Pay that kind of money for a car that comes equipped with a system that they designed, installed, and advertised, but I can't use it without gambling with 20k. No thank you.

What really gets me is that they can come up with a super advanced $20k trans, but they can't resolve a damn wheel hop issue, lol.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

They dropped the launch control RPM to 3300RPMs to save the trannys.