Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Atco and Cecil County Street Classes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Default Atco and Cecil County Street Classes?

I'm just curious if anyone here has any experience with the street oriented classes at Atco Raceway or Cecil County. What should I expect? Both tracks have two different classes I believe, but I haven't read a hole lot that tells me what the differences between them are, especially the Cecil County classes. Does anyone have any insight on this? What does it take to be competitive in these classes?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I dont think that really applies to being competive. Basically you show up and you run your street car for $15 bucks. You'll need a helmet if your car is faster than 14.0. If you want to bracket race you'll need to at least be close to a bracket. 12.0, 13.0 etc. if you want to race for prize money. I've raced at both tracks extensively and I recomend ATCO over Cecil.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

i recommend atco over cecil too cecil sucks. And they do not give you much of any room to slow down after the traps
Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I'm a bracket racer. Been doing it for years since I was 14, now 25. If you are talking about the bracket classes, it's very competitive and will take time and practice, practice, practice. I'm still learning new things each year.

I ran points at Atco last year and finished 6th in points in their street class. I've ran at Cecil's track on various weekends when Atco wasn't running. Cecil is going downhill though and starting to lose more and more racers each year. If you are a stick car, good luck. There are mind games and all sorts of variations during eliminations. Weather plays huge factor. If you are stick, you will definitely have to get tons and tons of practice. Don't worry about clicking off fast times, it's about consistency.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02TrueBlueGT
I'm a bracket racer. Been doing it for years since I was 14, now 25. If you are talking about the bracket classes, it's very competitive and will take time and practice, practice, practice. I'm still learning new things each year.

I ran points at Atco last year and finished 6th in points in their street class. I've ran at Cecil's track on various weekends when Atco wasn't running. Cecil is going downhill though and starting to lose more and more racers each year. If you are a stick car, good luck. There are mind games and all sorts of variations during eliminations. Weather plays huge factor. If you are stick, you will definitely have to get tons and tons of practice. Don't worry about clicking off fast times, it's about consistency.
This is the info I was looking for. I have done the regular street night $15 races at atco quite often, I was referring to the street class that runs for points and money. How consistent do you have to be? Are we talking about guys you would see on a tuesday night bracket race where you better be within a few hundredth's or less, total package, or do you have a decent shot being a stick car?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
This is the info I was looking for. I have done the regular street night $15 races at atco quite often, I was referring to the street class that runs for points and money. How consistent do you have to be? Are we talking about guys you would see on a tuesday night bracket race where you better be within a few hundredth's or less, total package, or do you have a decent shot being a stick car?
You will want to be as consistent as heck. I have an auto it's its still tough just because it's fuel injected which is a downside in bracket racing. Again I finished 6th in points but have done it since the jr. dragster days. Unless you can be really consistent with stick, it's going to be tough. It's possible but you have to be patient when it comes to winning rounds. It doesn't happen just like that.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
kazman
1st Gear Member

IMO Street at Atco is a bit easier that Cecil. Not that any of the summitt points races are easy. Many racers double up at Cecil and run Street and Pro. Atco prohibits racers signed up for Pro to enter the Street class. There way to make street an "entry" class...right.

Running a stick is really hard and adds a ton of variables to the equation. Bracket racing (single elimination) comes down to the racer who makes the fewer mistakes wins. Times you can make a huge mistake and your competitor is worse giving you a win then times your almost perfect and loose to someone a tad more closer to perfect. Just to let you know the 2-step isn't legel in Street or Pro for any points race (Atco, Cecil, Maple Grove Numidia, Island, Raceway, etc all Div 1). 2-step can be used only as a high side rev limiter.

Speaking of Maple Grove, they have a trophy class for beginners. Same rules as street except for a min ET cut is 12.0. You have to dial between 19.99 and 12.0 in trophy. This may be a good place for you to start. IMO street at Maple is extremly competitive.

Numidia has a friday night street stick class. This may be another good class for you.

The important thing for you is to come out to the events and have fun. On the surface bracket racing seems simple however as your get into in it becomes very very complex.

If you have any questions just shoot me an IM. I'm sure 02TrueBlueGT (who's a lot younger but been racing longer that myself lol) will do the same. I'll most likely be running street and pro at both Cecil and Atco this month. I'll be racing a dark teal firebird with white ghost skull graphics. Hard to miss. lol.

To directly answer you question I would say that Atco is your best bet. The class requirements are a tad different at each track but in a nutshell street is 4 dot tires, factory glass, mufflers, hood, and fenders. No electronics like trans brake, 2step, delay box or throttle stop. ET is from 19.99 to 11.50. Normal safety stuff, helmet, radiator overflow, battery secured, factory seat belts, tread on tires, no broken wheel studs on missing nuts etc. Now competive ...well here a link to Atco's events. http://www.atcorace.com/ . A direct link to the results doesn't work. Highlight Racer Info > Bracket racing > results > Then click here for 2110 results. You want to look at Street ET races.

Good luck, race safe, and have fun.

Last edited by kazman; 03-05-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Jim good way to sum it up there. Maple is probably the toughest street competition in D-1. There are many good people you end up meeting as well who are willing to give you pointers as long as you ask. If you ever end up coming to Maple Grove I will have either a True Blue GT or Red '85 Camaro running the Street class.

As Jim said, many variables especially being a stick car.

By the way Jim, you got the edge on me I'm sure.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
kazman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02TrueBlueGT
Jim good way to sum it up there. Maple is probably the toughest street competition in D-1. There are many good people you end up meeting as well who are willing to give you pointers as long as you ask. If you ever end up coming to Maple Grove I will have either a True Blue GT or Red '85 Camaro running the Street class.

As Jim said, many variables especially being a stick car.

By the way Jim, you got the edge on me I'm sure.
Rob, I gotten a lot of help over the years. I have learned a lot and continue to learn. It's an on going process. McNasby has made a huge impact to my racing program. IMO it's imprortant to ask there right person for advice. Stick around an see who is still in with 8-16 cars left on a regular basis.