Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Questions on Drag Racing Helmets!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

Why put a helmet on and leave your face completely exposed. You are only gonna have the helmet on for a 1/4 mile. Get a full faced helmet. Motorcycle shops are great place to try on several different helmets.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Full faced helmets suck ***. They are uncomfortable and stuffy. It's already hard enough to hear or speak with an open faced helmet on.

They are safer and smarter to use though, no question.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

This is what I use. Excellent helmet for a great price:

http://www.pyrotect.com/product.php?...&cat=14&page=1
Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If your helmet is hard to breathe in, it's a bad helmet or fits poorly.

And using an open faced helmet in a car is plain retarded....think about it, if something happens so that you DO need the helmet, then you'll need a close faced helmet. When was the last time you saw someone who was in a crash where a helmet would have helped, that didn't have a face injury?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

this is what i just got in from fedex Saturday.. came with it's own bag and some nifty stickers.. lol

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GFR-3002LRGBK/

http://www.gforce.com/products/helmets/3002.php

like this, cept in black...

Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If your helmet is hard to breathe in, it's a bad helmet or fits poorly.

And using an open faced helmet in a car is plain retarded....think about it, if something happens so that you DO need the helmet, then you'll need a close faced helmet. When was the last time you saw someone who was in a crash where a helmet would have helped, that didn't have a face injury?
Well I dont think I'd ever have any need to wear my helmet when I'm racing. I think the helmets are for those cars that have all of the saftey equipment removed. (except seat belts ofcourse, since you have to have thoes) In many accidents people die of head injuries due to objects in the car hitting them, not necessarily in the face.

If i was riding a motorcycle I would agree with you. I'm not, I don't need it, I have an air bag, people have been in accidents up to 150mph in s197s w/o sustaining serious injuries. and short of a something big flying off another car infront of me nothing will fly through the windshield and hit my face, and it would need to be heavy, because large rocks and things fly up and hit car's windshields all the time. My helmet had a face guard, I pulled it off, it's too uncomfortable in the heat to bother with.

Last edited by Mishri; 05-31-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

I'm not going to bash other's helmet choices because that's just what it is, a choice. I have a full face black pyrotect and it fits great, I use one of those hair nets looking like thing that they give you at go-kart tracks so you don't sweat all over the helmet. IMO the last thing I need, if I do crash at over 100mph which I hope I never do, is an airbag hitting me in the face and breaking my nose with an open face helmet. I can care less about not being able to talk much or listen well at the track because it's not like I'm an air traffic controller, all you gotta do is follow hand signals.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
In many accidents people die of head injuries due to objects in the car hitting them, not necessarily in the face..
That's not true. I have been investigating accidents for many many years and have never had a person in a car die from an impact sustained from a loose flying object.

Just wear a helmet. It can only help.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM
300F150
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
I'm not going to bash other's helmet choices because that's just what it is, a choice. I have a full face black pyrotect and it fits great, I use one of those hair nets looking like thing that they give you at go-kart tracks so you don't sweat all over the helmet. IMO the last thing I need, if I do crash at over 100mph which I hope I never do, is an airbag hitting me in the face and breaking my nose with an open face helmet. I can care less about not being able to talk much or listen well at the track because it's not like I'm an air traffic controller, all you gotta do is follow hand signals.
That, Ive ridden dirt bikes and headbutted my handlebars.. I could imagine an airbag or a steering wheel not being fun either. That's the big advantage of full faced helmets.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by Simon1
Just wear a helmet. It can only help.
+1

Quick Reply: Questions on Drag Racing Helmets!