Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

cammed LS1 T/A vs nitrous 2 valve gt

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Most likely. That cam on stock heads usually puts them in the 112-115 range.

Last edited by Stone629; 08-17-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Very nice run bro! I don't think people dog on the 2v's all that much, its just that, pretty consistantly, they run outta breath up on the topend. You're not the first one I've heard cams do wonders for, so they must really be the ticket to letting the 4.6 scream on the topend!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I remember the dyno charts when i had the car tuned for cams. With stock cams it peaked around 5,000 rpm, held pretty flat till around 5600, then started to drop. With the MHS cams i peaked around 5500, held till around at least 6000. It might of held a little longer, but my tuner stopped it there. The nice thing is that i lost no power down low (started the dyno around 2500 IIRC) and it really out gunned the stock cams at around 4700 rpm. Plus the torque curve held up a lot longer as well.

Stone, that would make a lot sense since before cams i was trapping 113-114 on average. If i had to guess, this guy could probably trap every bit of that based on our little runs.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
Very nice run bro! I don't think people dog on the 2v's all that much, its just that, pretty consistantly, they run outta breath up on the topend. You're not the first one I've heard cams do wonders for, so they must really be the ticket to letting the 4.6 scream on the topend!

most I saw out of a "CAMS ONLY" 2V is like 29XRWHP... and that is with entirely full bolt on's through a manual on a dynojet

IMO there isn't much top end to be had no matter where that power peaks... sure cams wake up the top end, but only because they put the car @ 280-290RWHP as opposed to 240-250RWHP. You MIGHT get increased power throughout the high RPM's... but only at the cost of a grind that sacrifices low end power, and even on an aggressive grind I can bet money you aren't breaking the 300RWHP barrier

to install cams for a measly 40WHP you could have installed a universal single turbo setup and gained over 100WHP with half the time and money... and THEN had a great top end

2V's have no top end not because of their cams but because of their shotty head design, which STILL cannot be fixed with aftermarket heads (hence the design)... to put it in understandable terms, the 2V modular is like a smoker blowing through a drinking straw... swap the cams and it's like a professional athlete breathing through a drinking straw.... more power but still severely handicapped, but as science has shown, if you throw enough money at a handicapped person there is no doubt it can hobble with people that have walked just fine since birth

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 08-17-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I pretty much agree with what you're saying Morbid, but regardless of total peak number differences from stock cams to aftermarket ones, they really do seem to help a bit when it comes to a roll race...at least in my experience. For instance my dyno said i only gained 15 peak rwhp, and lost nothing down low. Now maybe the dyno was right or maybe not. One of the things that i noticed was that the torque curve carried out much further, where it would normally drop with stock cams. That right there should be a bit helpful when shifting into the next gear.

Obviously, cams alone don't make for a stellar top end on a 2 valve gt, but they really do seem help a bit where the stockers start to fall...thus making the 2 valve less of a turd up high than it would normally be.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I would just swap the whole damn motor out if I had a 2V and really wanted to stay N/A and wanted the top end. 4Vs can be had pretty cheap and are a simple swap. A fella over in the Mach section had a low mileage complete engine for $1500 not too long ago that he pm'd me about.

IMO, Greddy took the best route and just sprayed the thing.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I pretty much agree with what you're saying Morbid, but regardless of total peak number differences from stock cams to aftermarket ones, they really do seem to help a bit when it comes to a roll race...at least in my experience. For instance my dyno said i only gained 15 peak rwhp, and lost nothing down low. Now maybe the dyno was right or maybe not. One of the things that i noticed was that the torque curve carried out much further, where it would normally drop with stock cams. That right there should be a bit helpful when shifting into the next gear.

Obviously, cams alone don't make for a stellar top end on a 2 valve gt, but they really do seem help a bit where the stockers start to fall...thus making the 2 valve less of a turd up high than it would normally be.
oh no doubt, I wasn't saying you were wrong I'm just saying that without some kind of FI a 2V's top end isn't going to be anything spectacular compared to other platforms to build like the 3V 4.6L modular or the LS1... but yes, I completely agree that when not being compared to anything else cams do make a big difference up top on the 2V, but then again, for the money and procedure I hope they would

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 08-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

cams for these aren't much more than cams for anything else, 300 bucks more prolly. figure 600 for cams, 200 for springs then install. cams/springs for an ls1 or a 302 are gonna range between 4-600 no matter what so you're not spending TOO much more. still dont gain as much as a cammed ls1 tho.

even with a 125 shot the top end still doesn't impress me much on my 2v. but AGAIN, I compare everything i do to this car with my '95, which would have trapped in the 125 area on a 100 shot compared to my measly 111.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Greddy, as you're probably aware of by now a lot of it has to do with your ride being a 4 speed auto. That plus the parasitic looses that go with it. You take your exact same setup then add the 5-speed, cams, long tubes, and your top end would be significantly better.

Now for the strip i'll take the auto any day over the manual.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Autos aren't all that bad. They do drain a little more power, but a good converter can do work and out weigh those cons by a decent amount.

Quick Reply: cammed LS1 T/A vs nitrous 2 valve gt