Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Ran a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Default Ran a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.

I had raced a new 5.0 on the freeway, and lost. I thought in my head, maybe from a dig it could be a good race. It turns out I was right.......but I can honestly say the mustang has the edge in a drivers race at the top end. My 99 SS has a lid and catback with stock 3.42 gears. The 5.0 I raced had a Bama tune, full exhaust, CAI, and stock 3.55 gears.

The first race, I flat out missed third gear, and I was pedaling right from the start......driver error. Oh well. His Mustang was pretty stout and he would have beat me by about 3 if I had hit third. **** happens.

http://youtu.be/OT0LaCbRSnE

The second race, I got a great launch and pulled him by 2 cars, then he missed third. However I can honestly say, if he hadn't missed third he probably would have beat me by a car. Yes I am stating AS AN LS1 owner, he probably would have beat me still, but it would have been close. Sorry about the short video, my gf is still learning how to record and when he saw him let off, she stopped the video. If he would have hit 3 gear, it would have been a hell of a race.

http://youtu.be/HfqBXRrVWvc

We went back to the gas station, and another 5.0 pulled up. So of course I yell, wanna run that thing? He said why not. His car had exhaust and 3.73's with a 6 speed. I ran him, and he beat me by 3 (no video it was at a street light, and I didn't hook for ****). Then he raced the other 5.0 and they had a close race. The 3.73 geared Mustang beat the other Mustang by half a car. Once again, I am retarded and didn't record the damn thing (sorry guys). We all went back, and bull****ted for a bit. The guy with the 3.73 geared Mustang turned out to be a cop, but he was cool. The Mustang I raced in the video's is moving back to Texas as I type this, so it looks like I won't get to race him again.

Cliffnotes: Ran a new 5.0, lost the first race missed third gear. Ran him again, won because he missed third gear. It can be a drivers race, with an edge going to the Mustang.

Can't wait to put some long tubes, ORY pipe, magnaflow catback, LS6 intake, monster clutch, and get it tuned by NicD. I should be able to not only leave the new 5.0, but stay in front of them.........
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

A cop?!?! LMMFAO! Thats priceless! Good runs, even though they ended up with losses. If that mod list molds together, you'll be showing off that catfish's taillights
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Yeah it was pretty cool, I like the new 5.0. They are a good looking car, maybe in a few years after the aftermarket get saturated with parts I will pick one up.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I must say I like the new bodies myself. . Dad has an '11 gt with catback/midpipe/cai/alum ds/procharger and is putting down 551whp... on a VERY conservitive tune..... not too shabby for an otherwise stock car. Mighty ironic the car you ended up with and your s/n.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

LSX engines are horrible and don't make any power... that is why you lost

stupid little 2V pushrod POS!

otherwise, good race xD
Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSKiller
I had raced a new 5.0 on the freeway, and lost. I thought in my head, maybe from a dig it could be a good race. It turns out I was right.......but I can honestly say the mustang has the edge in a drivers race at the top end. My 99 SS has a lid and catback with stock 3.42 gears. The 5.0 I raced had a Bama tune, full exhaust, CAI, and stock 3.55 gears.

The first race, I flat out missed third gear, and I was pedaling right from the start......driver error. Oh well. His Mustang was pretty stout and he would have beat me by about 3 if I had hit third. **** happens.

The second race, I got a great launch and pulled him by 2 cars, then he missed third. However I can honestly say, if he hadn't missed third he probably would have beat me by a car. Yes I am stating AS AN LS1 owner, he probably would have beat me still, but it would have been close. Sorry about the short video, my gf is still learning how to record and when he saw him let off, she stopped the video. If he would have hit 3 gear, it would have been a hell of a race.

We went back to the gas station, and another 5.0 pulled up. So of course I yell, wanna run that thing? He said why not. His car had exhaust and 3.73's with a 6 speed. I ran him, and he beat me by 3 (no video it was at a street light, and I didn't hook for ****). Then he raced the other 5.0 and they had a close race. The 3.73 geared Mustang beat the other Mustang by half a car. Once again, I am retarded and didn't record the damn thing (sorry guys). We all went back, and bull****ted for a bit. The guy with the 3.73 geared Mustang turned out to be a cop, but he was cool. The Mustang I raced in the video's is moving back to Texas as I type this, so it looks like I won't get to race him again.

Cliffnotes: Ran a new 5.0, lost the first race missed third gear. Ran him again, won because he missed third gear. It can be a drivers race, with an edge going to the Mustang.

Can't wait to put some long tubes, ORY pipe, magnaflow catback, LS6 intake, monster clutch, and get it tuned by NicD. I should be able to not only leave the new 5.0, but stay in front of them.........

I give you an A for effort. A new 5.0 with CAI/tune/full exhaust is an easy 11-second car if the guy can drive. SSs with lids/exhaust usually run 12s around here... so it was an uphill battle for you.

If it makes you feel better, the other day I got beat by about an 01 SS in my '06 GT. (then the following week I installed a UPR CAI/UPR-SCT tuner/UPR exhaust) I'd like a do over on that race!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good runs, OP! Having an SS myself, this run definitely got my attention. I haven't had the pleasure of running any 5.0s yet. There's no denying their top end, with that tune and everything he had, it wouldn't surprise me if he was trapping 115+. Our only hope with the stock cam is to go from a dig and pray for traction, lol. Your mod list will help you a lot though.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 AM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Good runs, OP! Having an SS myself, this run definitely got my attention. I haven't had the pleasure of running any 5.0s yet. There's no denying their top end, with that tune and everything he had, it wouldn't surprise me if he was trapping 115+. Our only hope with the stock cam is to go from a dig and pray for traction, lol. Your mod list will help you a lot though.
His mods are lip catback with stock 3.42's behind a 6sp

Good run op looks like you have a strong running catfish!! That 5.0 driven right should of been trapping 115-117 so that said very impressive.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
His mods are lip catback with stock 3.42's behind a 6sp

Ge.
Oh I know, I was just saying the mods he wants to still do will help him some.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
I must say I like the new bodies myself. . Dad has an '11 gt with catback/midpipe/cai/alum ds/procharger and is putting down 551whp... on a VERY conservitive tune..... not too shabby for an otherwise stock car. Mighty ironic the car you ended up with and your s/n.
Yeah the s/n was from years back. I had the Vert in my signature, and my buddy had a 99 SS. I beat up on him for about a year and I came up with the s/n to rub it in. Then he started modding and started beating up on me, so it came back two fold. Got rid of the Vert, got a truck, and then got the itch again. Found my SS for a killer price, and now I am basically laughing at my s/n now. I do like the new 5.0, and like I said when the price comes down I will probably pick one up.

Quick Reply: Ran a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.