Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Ran a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Oh I know, I was just saying the mods he wants to still do will help him some.
My bad man lol when i red the post earlier i was out of it and miss read haha.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:02 PM
jmdgto
3rd Gear Member

good runs. i have not run across a new 5.0. i know they are quick.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

So just how far behind the 5.0s are the LS1s? Bolt on for bolt on, tune for tune, are the LS1s to the 5.0 what the 2V is to the LS1? At least LSx engines still have the almighty cam, not to mention head head options.... Just trying to get an idea on where you guys think the LSX stands in relation to the 5.0.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Wow nice run man.. Ford (after decades) finally got it right with the coyote engine. I must say tho the LS1's are a beast. I had a 93Z (LT1) and with just a couple mods she was a beast but no where near a LS1.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

So just how far behind the 5.0s are the LS1s? Bolt on for bolt on, tune for tune, are the LS1s to the 5.0 what the 2V is to the LS1? At least LSx engines still have the almighty cam, not to mention head head options.... Just trying to get an idea on where you guys think the LSX stands in relation to the 5.0.
The new 5.0 is no slouch. It makes good power. Comparing the LS1 to the 5.0, is like comparing the 2V to the LS1. Us LS1 guys are way over matched stock verse stock on a hp level. However, on the street my LS1 did some damage against that tuned and modded 5.0. However that is the street and we know what happens on the street. I think a full bolt on, tuned, LS1 won't have any problem with a stock 5.0. However, when the aftermarket gets flooded with 5.0 parts, we will have some serious uphill battles on our hands.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I think you're right, Killer. I guess we'd better start looking into some heads/cam then, lol.

I'm curious to see what the aftermarket comes up with for the 5.0 and how worth it they'll be. I know bolt-ons and gears are a good buy and the car responds to a tune really well, but it looks like the heads and cams are pretty well engineered, so it'll be interesting to see what gains are left on the table in that area.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hard to say how the LS1 vs 5.0 will go since the 5.0 has only been out a little over a year.. stock many people are running high 12s in the 5.0 most people struggled to get a 12 sec slip with an LS1. mod for mod multiple people have gotten high 11s (11.7-11.9) with a tune and drag radials in the 5.0. 4.10 gears, full exhaust we are looking at low-mid 11s. boss intake really isn't helping it a lot, still low 11s. as far as cams go there are some regrinds that dont add a whole lot of power otherwise you need new heads, so H/C/I they have hit over 500whp. I haven't seen any 1/4 numbers though. likely high 10s. most of the runs are basically full weight, minimal suspension since the car is still so new. oh.. then with the rousch TVS supercharger and bigs/littles high 9s. a lot of others in low-mid 10s with other superchargers. but again, not many people have them we'll need some years of R&D and experienced drivers behind the wheels to see how far they can be pushed. so far the stock engine and stock transmission have been able to hold 9 sec passes well over 600whp.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

High 11s on tune and DRs (full weight) is definitely way ahead of any LS1s with those two mods. About the quickest LS1 I've seen is a high 12 on DRs, little quicker tuned. It would take full bolt-ons (stall for autos), gears and tires for an LS1 just to get near high 11s full weight. BUT, luckily cams are like blowers for LSx cars, so at least it's not too hard to close the gap against a full bolt-on 5.0. Other than bolt-ons, looks like LS1s will need heads and then some.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

High 11s on tune and DRs (full weight) is definitely way ahead of any LS1s with those two mods. About the quickest LS1 I've seen is a high 12 on DRs, little quicker tuned. It would take full bolt-ons (stall for autos), gears and tires for an LS1 just to get near high 11s full weight. BUT, luckily cams are like blowers for LSx cars, so at least it's not too hard to close the gap against a full bolt-on 5.0. Other than bolt-ons, looks like LS1s will need heads and then some.
I think bolts on's, tune, and gears (personally 4.10's because I have a m6) will put me in the mid to low 12's along side almost any modded 5.0 on the street or the track. I can drive when I am not missing third (still pisses me off). The new 5.0 are big cars, they are heavy, but they can rev the **** out of them. That helps on the big end. However, for the first couple of years you wont see big upgrades like cam, and heads, on the 5.0's that will you encounter on the street. They are expensive! Most people dont want to void their factory warranty. Unlike the LS1 with a good cam, bolt on's, and gears, (not that expensive) we are still in this fight.

I plan on installing in this order:
Monster Stage 3 Clutch (Next week)
HP tuners (Purchasing in Mid Oct)
4.10 gears (November)
LS6 intake (already sitting in my garage)
Cam haven't figured out which one......
Long tubes (December)
Off road Y pipe (December)
Magnaflow Cat back (Have a Flowmaster right now, just have to switch the muffler)

Hopefully by December, I have a full bolt on cammed LS1 ready for battle.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'd say the only way you stay next to or beat a modded 5.0, even with your planned mods is because they can't drive it well enough. It's very hard to shift it at 7000-7700RPM consistently(depends on mods when to shift, boss intake needed for really high RPM shifts). there are even a lot of discussions on when to shift and arguements about what yields better 1/4 times. The Autos are actually the ones I see pulling the best times once they are tuned so far. i've seen 3 tune+drag radial only auto cars getting 11.7-11.9 and trapping 116-118. if you can believe the people online, they had slips to prove it though. my DA adjusted time was 12.2@117 with just cai+tune+drag radials, I didn't launch well at all though. my uncorrected time was 13.5@108mph, trap is good enough for a 12.9-13.1 if only i could launch it at 4k rpm I dont remember the exact DA, but it was pretty bad.

Last edited by Mishri; 09-25-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Ran a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.