Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Swapped Civic in Denial

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

We have 7 or 8 hondas thats trap as high as 140 but Once you start making real power you have to throw money at the motor like PD said. Just swapping out a motor isn't going to gain you a ton of power. Throwing a turbo on is easier but if it's not set up right your still looking at a high 13 second car. Which is still pretty impressive for a $2500 front drive **** box.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Most B-series swapped Hondas are low 15 cars. B16, B18A/B, B18C, whatever. All about the same with bolt-ons.

If it were me, I'd just turbo the single cam. Cheap, fun, and will make just over 200whp depending on the tune.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

If it were me, I wouldn't be happy with less than double that. haha
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
What was the trap, I think 87ish?
Thats what Im thinking iirc, 87-88....
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

In the scheme it's not that quick..
..but in reality for a NA 2.0 (bolt-on) that's straight rolling. Look at SI times, that shows you how much weight can change things. I'd love to see it with a turbo strapped to it.

I've always wanted to build an EG (92-95) 4dr.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

87 mph for an NA 2.0 is more than impressive, imo. I bet a car like that would be a blast to drive around in.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

lol, hondas....I respect the people that can build them to be fast but at the same time I think the platform is awful and pretty much hate everything about them.

It seems like about 1% of them that actually run decent times. Most of them are 15/16 second turd boxes.

There is a few guys around here running high 10s with them...of course these are basically full race cars, completely gutted, no front bumper, straight turbo coming out of the hood. lol

I would love to know how much money they actually have in the cars.

I know they are "cheap" but I cant imagine its still cheap after replacing and upgrading every part of the drivetrain to handle the power.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
lol, hondas....I respect the people that can build them to be fast but at the same time I think the platform is awful and pretty much hate everything about them.

It seems like about 1% of them that actually run decent times. Most of them are 15/16 second turd boxes.

There is a few guys around here running high 10s with them...of course these are basically full race cars, completely gutted, no front bumper, straight turbo coming out of the hood. lol

I would love to know how much money they actually have in the cars.

I know they are "cheap" but I cant imagine its still cheap after replacing and upgrading every part of the drivetrain to handle the power.
When people talk about how "cheap" it was to get their Hondas into the 12's or whatever is considered fast these days, they generally exclude a few details about how they got the parts and the labor involved. They generally gloss over the whole "daily driver" part, since they're usually gutted, no AC, no exhaust and so on.

However, with just basic springs/struts and a single cam swap, I was MURDERING all sorts of cars when I autocrossed in my CRX. There were two Vipers, a bunch of WRX's, even an R32 Golf, all slower than my stupid CRX on course. It's not a bad platform at all for a good handling car.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
When people talk about how "cheap" it was to get their Hondas into the 12's or whatever is considered fast these days, they generally exclude a few details about how they got the parts and the labor involved. They generally gloss over the whole "daily driver" part, since they're usually gutted, no AC, no exhaust and so on.

However, with just basic springs/struts and a single cam swap, I was MURDERING all sorts of cars when I autocrossed in my CRX. There were two Vipers, a bunch of WRX's, even an R32 Golf, all slower than my stupid CRX on course. It's not a bad platform at all for a good handling car.
Small go cart like cars seem to do well on autox courses....head to a road course and I bet it would be a bit different story.

But yea, Honda guys like to act like tthey build their whole cars for 500 dollars when in reality you could probably buy a fox body 5.0 and throw a 150 shot of nitrous on it and achieve far better times vs cost value than a honda.

just my .02 cents

I just dont like the bull**** the import crowd brings....it seems like all they do is build cars to try to beat a domestic v8.

Why not just build a car to enjoy it?

Last edited by justinschmidt1; 05-01-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
Small go cart like cars seem to do well on autox courses....head to a road course and I bet it would be a bit different story.

But yea, Honda guys like to act like tthey build their whole cars for 500 dollars when in reality you could probably buy a fox body 5.0 and throw a 150 shot of nitrous on it and achieve far better times vs cost value than a honda.

just my .02 cents

I just dont like the bull**** the import crowd brings....it seems like all they do is build cars to try to beat a domestic v8.

Why not just build a car to enjoy it?
I'm sure. Small cars are better on small courses. Big cars are better on big courses, usually.

A K-series swapped 88-00 Civic with cams and a tune will be very fast, but the cost is stupid. A K20A2 with trans is about $4k, then you'll need Hondata, another $1k, then cams and valvetrain stuff, another $1,500. Then, possibly labor, and dyno time. It just gets silly expensive. I'm willing to bet a 12 second K series swapped Civic is close to $10k in parts.

I dunno, it's fun to beat V8's with a Honda. I had a supercharged 94 Civic coupe and would barely pull 99-04 GT's. It was hilarious. It's a similar rivalry that Chevy and Ford guys have. As a car guy, I don't really care what the badge on the hood is. I've owned everything.

Last edited by replica; 05-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Swapped Civic in Denial