Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Evo VIII MR modded vs Stock 5.0 (followup from bench racing section)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 PM
jrc1122
1st Gear Member

Default Evo VIII MR modded vs Stock 5.0 (followup from bench racing section)

So two weeks ago, I bought a 5.0 6- speed manual (3:31 gears). (I have put 2K miles on my car already) Friday my buddy bought a modified Evo VIII MR.

My car: stock- with 2 gallons of gas and about 150 lbs worth of work gear/ tools in my trunk, and I weight about 70 lbs more than my buddy.

His Mods: 272 Cam, Tune, (25/26 psi) Full exhaust, intake, larger fuel pump, injectors, larger inter-cooler piping, bov, and probably a few other things) Dyno (from previous owner): 339HP 332 TQ (to the wheels)

Cliff notes version: He wins all the dig races, I won all roll races (except one IIRC, where I missed 3rd which I didn't include in here).

Read on for more details:.......

First off: He took me for a spin in his ride: Extremely fast feeling. Man when that turbo kicks in, it puts you back in your seat! I watched his speedo,, and it seemed that 0-60 was decent, and it seemed to pull hard 60- 100. I kinda thought I would get walked top end. I drove it. and again, the car just begs to go fast. When it hits 3K rpm+ it just screams. Yes I admit, I am thoroughly impressed, and I am thinking he is going to kill me.

We grab my car go out to some open back roads with tons of visibility and very low traffic (no traffic obviously at this time)

First 3 races were all about the same- Dig - 3rd gear pulls. with him about 1.5 car length ahead.
a 4th race, I got a much better take off, but struggled to hit 3rd. He was ahead about 1/2 a car by the end of 3rd.

We took it out to the Hwy. Raced probably 6 or 7 more times.

1. 50-100ish-- I had 1/2 a car, and was holding it.
2. same- almost dead even
3. 45- 115? (near the top of 4th? dunno really)- I was ahead by 1/2 a car, and I felt like I was slightly pulling at the top end
4. 20ish-middle of 4th. I had him by 1/2 car
5. same w/ about the same outcome
6th= dig to 100ish- He took about 1 car out the hole, and I creped up to 1/4 car down by 4th gear.

I'm admittedly not a great driver (heck I raced races 1-4 with Traction control on). I also admit he's a much better driver, but is still learning his car. His honest opinion, (he can drive the **** out of cars, especially rwd cars) and he said he thinks from a dig the Evo would still win with him racing with my car with an equally good driver as him.

I was pleasantly surprised based off the comments in the bench racing section, and also the "feel" of how much of a beast his car is. I'm not saying it isn't a beast. It just felt quicker than my car, when in all actuality it was a very close match up with the Dig races going to the AWD car for sure.

We both were extremely happy with the results. I was happy because I thought I was going to get walked fairly easily, that never happened. And he was excited because his car can beat a 412hp Mustang GT/ me on all the dig races, and was nearly dead even on the roll races with the slight advantage going to me.

We both agreed to hit the track soon!

PS-- YOu won't see much "street racing" stories from me, because I have grown out of racing strangers from stop lights, but we both just got FAST cars, and just had to test'em out. We did our best to be as safe as we could while breaking posted speed limits. So please spare me any lectures you may have about it. If you came up beside me and revved 9 times out of 10 I'd ignore you. I honestly don't street race... but we just had to.. lol

Last edited by jrc1122; 05-14-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

nice job! Glad you kept were able to keepit close. With a good tire and those dig races may swing around in your favor. I wish there were some videos though
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Nice kills.. but you still had him by about 20-30whp lol
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good runs! I wasn't expecting it to be that close at all up top. Nice work!

His car feels faster than yours because it's less refined. It's hard to judge a car by the seat of the pants feel. Plainly put, your car is built better and is more refined, making it feel slower than his EVO.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Good runs and good write-up!!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Nice runs!
Replacing the 3.31's with 3.73's may give you the win in the dig races with the Evo.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

get a cai+tune, it'll really wake the car up, and yes, some 3.73s would be good... and some tires... and a mid-pipe... and a boss intake manifold... yes..

I think a cai+tune will be all you need to beat him.

you have about a 30whp advantage on him against his 300lbs lighter, should have been pretty even and it sounds like it was. cai+tune is about another 30whp..should put you clearly in the lead.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Nice runs.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Not a good idea it race with such little fuel, 1/4 tank min
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Great runs man!!! Not gonna lie I'm surprised at the out comes for sure from a roll and even more so from a dig. I know you say he has the driver mod over you but if you're able to get the car out the whole that well then you are doing very well my friend! UNLESS he hasn't gotten the awd launch down yet.

Can't wait to see some track times from both cars and hopefully videos as well.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII MR modded vs Stock 5.0 (followup from bench racing section)