MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Street/Strip (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip-25/)
-   -   '12 3.7l v6 Vs '03 350z (https://mustangforums.com/forum/street-strip/685535-12-3-7l-v6-vs-03-350z.html)

97tplsGT 11-24-2012 12:13 AM

'12 3.7l v6 Vs '03 350z

Im headed out to hangout with my brother for a bit, and as soon as I hit the strip I catch the attention of a fella in a very nice white 350z. Aftermarket chrome 18s and aftermarket exhaust, the car was clean as all hell.

We goose around a little, letting the other know he was game. We get down to a second gear roll, he honks, and we're off. He JUMPS out a full car on the hit, then misses 3rd. Im really fkn confused at this moment, lmao. He told me it was all stock except for the nismo exhaust while at the stoplight....

We go from another high-2nd roll, Im out 1/2 car when he starts honking. Honk 2.5 he steals the hit, and jumps out a car again on the hit (mind you this is a 1.5 car jump at this point). As the two v6's scream next to each other, I close in on the 7k redline, bang 3rd (very slowly and surely, lol), and Im pulling, despite the shifting. Wrap it out again to the 6800rpm shiftpoint, and cautiously pull 4th, now even with the Nissan. Wind it to the top of 4th, pulling out a car, I see 120mph, I glance, he's still in it, so I grab 5th for a couple hundred rpm, for good measure. I'll just call the race a car im my favor by 120.

We exhange thumbs-up, I ask if he wants to stop and talk. Real nice younger kid, swears up and down the car is an all stock, non-hr motor, save for the Nismo exhaust that it came with from the factory.

Ive been wanting to run a z for a while now, but I must admit that I am really shocked at how close it was. Him jumping out on me like that was the main part that got me. Maybe my car's just not as quick as I thought/hoped, maybe the driving was really that bad (its the trend lately), idk. I got the W though, so I'll take it!

PurpleIcedGT 11-24-2012 10:59 AM

350z prob had a lil 50 shot of the giggle. A buddy often has an 03 with full exhaust, plenum spacer, CAI and full coil over suspension and its an absolute dog.

97tplsGT 11-24-2012 11:32 AM

Im leaning toward him fibbing a little on his mods.... Some folks just do that I guess. I popped my hood, but didnt open it, waiting to see if he made any notion to do the same. He didnt. And I didnt ask, so thats on me, Im just taking his word for it and that he had a very strong running wednesday car! :D

Im really hoping PD might know the fella, he said he was from the same town....

So much for thinking I had a chance against a 370.....:)

83gtragtop 11-24-2012 01:24 PM

Nice kill but as you said, I would have expected you to pull a little harder on a non-HR motor. Even if he had a few other bolt ons, it probably wouldn't do much, as those motors do not respond to anything short of forced induction or spray.

z28th1s 11-24-2012 02:59 PM

I'm leaning towards more mods or possibly a HR motor swap! At least you were able to run him down and take the W in the end!

Stone629 11-25-2012 09:33 AM

Sounds strange to me too. I could explain the jump by saying he was just sitting at the top of a strong gear and you were not in as sweet of a RPM/GEAR, but to keep it that close for so long doesn't sound right. We need to get your 3.7 and my HR G35 lined up. That'll give you an honest idea of where you stand against the HR 350s, and prove that you would definitely crush a stock or NA non-HR.

S8ER01Z 11-25-2012 11:14 AM

I maybe off here but looking at your traps this makes sense to me. Your car is doing most of its work from a dig. Going from a roll changes things a lot and it sounds like he had a better start (probably started right in his peak power band).. I would expect an HR or 370Z to destroy you from a roll but a dig race would be interesting.

Unless those traps/times in your sig are wrong?

bluebeastsrt 11-25-2012 12:17 PM

I thing you might be on to something.

TommyB681 11-25-2012 12:28 PM

my uncle has an '04 z running just under 300hp. We played around driving one night and the cars ran close to the same for the whole ride. It wasnt on a track and we werent running all out so im sure it would have been diff one way or another if we were

97tplsGT 11-25-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z (Post 8098830)
I maybe off here but looking at your traps this makes sense to me. Your car is doing most of its work from a dig. Going from a roll changes things a lot and it sounds like he had a better start (probably started right in his peak power band).. I would expect an HR or 370Z to destroy you from a roll but a dig race would be interesting.

Unless those traps/times in your sig are wrong?

Well, no, the sig is up-to-date..... though I do believe they could be better. The day I ran those times was my first time ever on a tire, the da was 2k', AND there was a 15-20mph headwind. For whatever thats all worth. Ive since gotten my 60 and 8th mile times down since that day, in worse weather/air, so Im optimistic that my trip to the 1/4 this coming weekend will yield times .1-.2 better than last time, with 105traps.

Basically, this trip is going to tell me if my excuses from the last trip are valid or not. :D