Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Vortech 06 GT vs Procharged 09 Charger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Default Vortech 06 GT vs Procharged 09 Charger R/T

What's up guys! Haven't posted here in a while. I also haven't really had any action since before I left the states on a 9.5 month pleasure cruise, hahaha. Anyway, my supervisor is proud as hell about procharging his 09 Charger R/T. He said it makes about 550 at the tire on 8lbs. His car looks VERY nice and sounds awesome. Other than the procharger, he's got some form of exhaust...but he's also rolling on some chrome 20's and low-pro summer rubber. As far as I know, no upgraded gears or anything else. We got three runs in on the way home on Friday, and all dubs for me. All rolls since it was all highway on the way home. No big story, here. No vids, sorry. I'm posting more or less because I guess I'm not quite sure how to interpret the wins - I like breaking **** down to see the pros and cons...mainly because I haven't been a part of any action for a while.

Oh, and there was some sloppy shifting on my part. I'm a track day guy. I can heel-toe like a muthafugga, but get all kinds of effed up when I'm going in a straight line for some reason!

1st: 45 roll and he gives me the hit. 2nd gear. Pull almost a car instantly. Missed 3rd. Quickly corrected and grabbed it. A little more than a car by the top of 3rd. Slid to 4th and have almost two cars where my pull slows down. Run out of space at about 120 or so with a little more than 2 cars.

2nd: 45 roll and he gives me the hit again. Me grabbing 3rd with no issues, and totally granny shifting 4th for some reason. Finish at about 120 with me out by almost 2 cars.

Two notes here:

1. Man, when he hit it, I could hear that procharger blowin' and it sounded friggin badass.

2. He told me afterwards that even though he was manually shifting (I guess these autos have some sort of manual shift option/mode), his ride was shifting immediately to 3rd on it's own or something. I don't know what the hell that means. I'm kind of hoping Stealth would jump in here and maybe explain.

3rd: 45 roll. I give him the hit this time. He jumps, but I am almost immediately stopping his pull and grabbing a half car going into 3rd (didn't miss it this time!). Wind out 3rd and hit 4th with about a car. Run out of space around 110 with about a car and a half.

Ok, so, once again his mods (that I know of) are the Procharger at 8lbs, custom tune, laying down about 550. He has some kind of exhaust that is loud and sounds awesome. He's also running some sort of low pro summer rubber on his 20's.

My mods (the ones that matter anyway) are: Vortech V3 HO with custom tune, un-tuned water-meth (specifically for insurance at the track), ceramic coated shorties (controlling the heat at the track), 1-piece driveshaft (lightweight), KW V3 coilovers set in the middle all the way around (these are actually about 25 lbs lighter than the crappy Tokico/Roush combo I had previously), some light(er)-weight Steeda Q1S 18's and Toyo Proxes R1R rubber (light tires) square all the way around (track day rubber). Now, since I'm running a shorter tire, my gearing is about a 3.90 (stock 3.55's). I've been to a few dynos, and they've all been pretty consistent over the years - about 490-ish whp/420-ish wtq. I've got some other **** that don't matter here.

Anyway, for my own sanity, what do you guys think? I think the one thing I had in my favor was the weight advantage and possibly the gearing, since I don't know if he upgraded. It made my weekend - basically - since it has been FOREVER and a day since I've had a run.

Last edited by moochman4life; 05-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Good kill OP.

As for his HP numbers... Bull****. He's MAYBE mid 400s or so @ 8lbs (like 440ish). Your weight advantage got you the kill. I wish I was back in Hampton, don't get many races at all here in California. Not that it'd matter since my car is going under the knife again anyhow. *Sigh*
Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 AM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SubTexel
Good kill OP.

As for his HP numbers... Bull****. He's MAYBE mid 400s or so @ 8lbs (like 440ish). Your weight advantage got you the kill. I wish I was back in Hampton, don't get many races at all here in California. Not that it'd matter since my car is going under the knife again anyhow. *Sigh*
+1

I don't see a 5.7 RT on 8 pounds making anywhere near 550 RWHP!!

Good kill!!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

On the web sight they advertise the kit to make about 550HP. Of course that's crank HP not at the wheels. It's a good win, the lighter car got it done.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If I manually shift my wifes auto chrysler 300, it does not automatically shift to 3rd, so I'm not sure what he was doing wrong. They have a slap stick auto transmission, meaning you can slap the shifter to the left to manually shift the car. I rather like it for passing people, but my wife never uses it.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Again, no 550 RWHP on that ride. Still gotta be a stout damn car though. Anyway, good runs, your weight and power just got it done!

I'm 2.5-3 hours from you, we should meet half way sometime for some runs...or get 97, 83, and Z28th in on it and we can all meet up at Dinwiddie or wherever sometime.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I've never had my tranny automatically shift when it's in manual mode but I don't use it that often (I have an 08 Jeep SRT8)

Ya 550 at the crank I think is a bit of a stretch at 8 psi, probably more like 500
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Again, no 550 RWHP on that ride. Still gotta be a stout damn car though. Anyway, good runs, your weight and power just got it done!

I'm 2.5-3 hours from you, we should meet half way sometime for some runs...or get 97, 83, and Z28th in on it and we can all meet up at Dinwiddie or wherever sometime.
Sounds like fun!!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Nice kill

My transmission was actually doing the same thing a week ago but with a stat up tune and Magnacharger @ 5.5 psi. Even with AWD, it would spin the wheels so hard at a low roll it would register the friction as time to shift the trans! ( my conclusion since this would happen at WOT but shift at a mere 4000 rpm, makes sense since full boost/torque is 3500 rpm). I was in autostick (slap stick) when this happened. A few revisions and it took care of all of my skip issues.

I am thinking he was spinning his tires going into WOT that it would short shift. Especially with the stock TCM or no other TCM splice in device (Tranzformer electronic shift kit).

The Charger is a hefty hefty car. And with the added 100lbs. of the Procharger it makes things worse lol. I doubt he made 550whp unless he was completely bolt on as well. I know a guy with a P1, meth and 8 psi making 525whp but with other mods. but that's still at 6200 rpm.

The Charger needs more torque, not necessarily more hp imo.. I didn't expect the torque to make much of a difference from a roll, but from a 40mph it still pins me back in the seat on the highway. No way I'd get the same effect from a Centri unless I had 4.10s and a lot more power (say, 80-90 more) to make up for the lack of low end torque and such a heavy car.

Don't get me wrong, on other LX cars making a lot more power with a Centri it doesn't really matter but for lower boosted motors it needs that instant hit of torque.