Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

SRT8 challenger VS 2013 5.0

Old 08-18-2013, 03:14 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I could see a 12.6 glory pass out of one. Low 12s...na
The low altitude guys have a bit of an advantage for times but the only ones that thread I posted that showed them running 12.4 were auto's and as for the 12.2 that claims he's stock I almost bet he put on some DR/Slicks and thinks that doesn't count as a mod.

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I'm going with folklore. There should be a few SRT-8 owners come in to this thread to preach the gospal. When ever there is a thread about a SRT-8 getting beat posted on the camaro forum they show up in droves to tell ya a stocker will run low 12s all day. I usally ask then to show me a video of them doing it. It quites them down a little but then they will dig up one dragtime post and claim victory.
I am surprised a few havent chimed in either, but then again the Challenger won so they probably satisfied with winning by half a car length on a missed shift lol

It's a drivers race between the two stock/stock as stated, so either he had a mod or two, or just had the stronger running car that day.

If I had one of these new 5.0s, just knowing what a tune does for them would have me getting it done within the first week of having the car.
Don't forget the OP had the ever famous 3rd gear lockout, so losing by half a car length I would guess the SRT8 was stock or maybe 1-2 mods like Intake & Catback.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Last December when we were running at VMP there was a black 392 SRT8 Charger with 30 day tags on it running. It looked and sounded 100% stock. It ran several low 12.60 passes at 110+ MPH.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

I shift at 6200-6500, When I first got the car, I didn't have any problems getting in third, but it doe's seem I'm getting the "lockout" lately. clutch pedel sticks about half way down after high RPM drivng

heres a video from my youtube, chirping third and forth

I had 85 octane in it........... dunno if that really matters. Supposedly from SVTPerformance they dyno tested between regular and preminum gas, and got 10hp or something.

I run 85 octane because I drive 140 miles a day to work, and it doesn't seem to effect the car as far as any detonation.

I think a tune, and getting rid of the cat's will be my next mods..... and running 91 octane, lol

From what I saw on SVTPerformance, the stock airbox vs aftermarket is NO gain in some tests, and very minimal gains in others. And when an aftermarket cold air intake is $300+ for minimal gain? no thanks.

Last edited by 302army187; 08-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Car sounds good.

I have never seen 85 octane here in Michigan and I want to say the minimum for most cars is 87, but can you guys run lower octane gas because you are at a much higher elevation? Is 85 your 'regular'?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

302army187: First would like to say nice video

Now onto some points mentioned

I solved my sticky clutch by removing the helper spring (15min job easy) and not only did it remove the sticky clutch syndrome but also gave the clutch pedal a stiffer feel which I prefer. Most solved their issue this way others I believe swapped out their clutch lines to braided and it also solved it for them if you don't like the stiffer clutch feel.

Octane level matters most cars will perform better with better octane gasoline. From what I have read Ford rates the '13 at 420hp /w premium (91+octane) and something like 408 on regular (87octane). So by running regular fuel your losing out on about 12bhp which you most likely wouldn't notice unless you got a very sensitive butt dyno :P but you would notice on your MPG.

Tune is one of the first things I absolutely suggest a simple 91octane performance tune(first tune I chose to install from Bama) and I felt like I just got behind the wheel of a totally different car. It was absolutely night and day difference. Currently I run 93Race Tune as my DD and have a heavy foot and on average get 480km (300miles) per tank in the city which equates to 12.5L/100km or 22mpg haven't tested the 93Race Tune on a pure highway as I usually swap it out for my 93Performance Tune and with that I average 9.0-9.5L/100km or 29-31mpg (625-665km or 391-415miles per tank) doing about an average of 120km/h or 75mph. You won't be disappointed with going with a tune, that much I guarantee.

Aftermarket intakes are a debate for the ages but I can tell you a few things about our intakes..
- A fair mount of aftermarket intakes claim to be to gain power but a lot of people fail to realize that the '13 (believe 11-12 also) intake box has an already built in CAI duct (fresh/cold air duct is located under the air box). So if say you run the same size (mm diameter) aftermarket intake in theory you should not gain or loose any hp/tq.

- Again with aftermarket intakes be careful you read thoroughly their specs or if you can view it in person check to see if the tubing is restricted or not (has a plate inside of it). They may list it as say 100mm intake but the tubing has the restricting plate inside it so your virtually getting the same amount of air as the stock intake but just paid $300 for something that does virtually same job performance wise as OEM but looks a little nicer. This is also why they will say "does not require a aftermarket tune". Intakes that I have seen that do not have the restricting plate are all labeled "requires an aftermarket tune".

Last edited by BairdGT; 08-18-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Excellent info, Baird! Everything you posted about intakes sound spot on from my experience with them. It definitely pays to do homework before buying one for any vehicle.

302, we don't have 85 octane down here, but as thin as the air is up there I don't see it acting any differently than 87 does down here at sea level.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

A few people have run bottom 12s in the 392 bone stock...12.2 is the record which two different people have done but I believe 3 other people are around the 12.3~12.4 range on ChallengerTalk as well.

Honestly I don't believe the 5.0 is as strong as the 392 stock for stock so I am not surprised by the outcome here. They hook up extremely well with all the weight and the tires they have... any amount of wheel spin / feathering would put you at a great disadvantage and there is no 'caught out of power band' for them. They are not mod friendly though you can get some tuning for them these days... fantastic cars but I would take the 5.0 given the mod potential for each.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

yea and those running low 12s are also a do believe a few of the auto guys in the Coyote have hit low 12s with the stock Pirelli A/S tire and I do believe 1 or 2 with just putting DR/Slicks on have cracked into the 11.9x club.

I can't see a 470hp engine trying to launch a 4200lb car (4400 /w avg weight 200lb male driver) launching very well on A/S tires which the standard tire setup comes with, if he was staggered he's got Eagle F1 tires which I could see those tires putting a good driver in the low-mid 12s.

SRT8TECH is the guy who holds the 12.25 if you look at his posts his corrected DA is 220ft above sea level which I only wish lol

here at our track (2210ft above sea level /w on avg 3000-3400ft Corrected DA)
stock for stock most of the 392 vs 5.0 all come down to driver skill cause they are running 13.1-13.3 (Corrected DA puts them at 12.5-12.6) all day long with the odd one cracking in the high 12.8's and 12.9's on both engines.

I hate the auto guys cause their 60' times are ridiculous lol I can't crack 2.104 for the life of me lol but the auto's in the 392 and the 5.0 are hitting 1.9s virtually every pass the bastards lol

I will give the 392 puts out some nice numbers but it's needed to compensate for the tank of vehicle it was put into, but yea I would take 5.0 over the 392 if modding is your thing cause the potential is by far greater.

Not hating on the 392 it's a nice looking car and fun to drive (friends dad has one) but here for base model no upgrades at all SRT8 Challenger they start at $50,000cdn ($48,000usd) for a car that pushing 470hp that is ridiculously heavy and performs on the track virtually the same as the 5.0 that's rated at 420hp and start at $35,000cdn ($34,000usd) I could not justify the extra $15,000 for 50hp.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Car sounds good.

I have never seen 85 octane here in Michigan and I want to say the minimum for most cars is 87, but can you guys run lower octane gas because you are at a much higher elevation? Is 85 your 'regular'?
Thanks, sounds much better from the outside.

yup, because the elevation we have 85, 87, and 91. I drive A LOT, so the $2-5 a tank from buying 85 vs 91 over as much gas as I go through means a lot to me. Plus when I'm working and going through 2 tanks a week, I rarely ever get on it other then getting on and off the highway.

Originally Posted by BairdGT
302army187: First would like to say nice video
thanks for the info. I've read about the spring removal and I will be doing that mod. My foxes clutch is a duel, and its a beast, I love the very stiff clutch. Call me a caveman but it made the car feel more manly, haha. Only hated it in traffic.

near as I can tell the air box won't need to be changed until I get most of the bolt on's and even then, i might leave it for the "sleeper" factor, haha. "Its almost all stock! Just exhast! who would put a tune or anything else on a car with a stock air box!?"

I average 24mpg mixed driving, and when I was doing mostly all highway I got 28mpg. It would be nice to get a little better mileage, and get rid of the damn throttle response issues.

The way this car bogs after shifting from traction control, or whatever the damned computer is doing is obnoxious. I've read that a tune gets rid of that.

The car will get 100 shot soon enough, with some sticky tires eventually, but thats after the fox gets sold....

Excellent info, Baird! Everything you posted about intakes sound spot on from my experience with them. It definitely pays to do homework before buying one for any vehicle.

302, we don't have 85 octane down here, but as thin as the air is up there I don't see it acting any differently than 87 does down here at sea level.
pretty much 87 for you is the same as 85 for me.

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
A few people have run bottom 12s in the 392 bone stock...12.2 is the record which two different people have done but I believe 3 other people are around the 12.3~12.4 range on ChallengerTalk as well.

Honestly I don't believe the 5.0 is as strong as the 392 stock for stock so I am not surprised by the outcome here. They hook up extremely well with all the weight and the tires they have... any amount of wheel spin / feathering would put you at a great disadvantage and there is no 'caught out of power band' for them. They are not mod friendly though you can get some tuning for them these days... fantastic cars but I would take the 5.0 given the mod potential for each.
I like those cars, but for the $$$$$$? I can put a whipple on my coyote and still not hit the MSRP of the challenger SRT8 392.

Maybe a stupid argument, but I love this car, I love throwing it around corners. The challengers are probably more comfy, and roomy, but pigs in the corners compared to a mustang.

Originally Posted by BairdGT
yea and those running low 12s are also a do believe a few of the auto guys in the Coyote have hit low 12s with the stock Pirelli A/S tire and I do believe 1 or 2 with just putting DR/Slicks on have cracked into the 11.9x club.

I can't see a 470hp engine trying to launch a 4200lb car (4400 /w avg weight 200lb male driver) launching very well on A/S tires which the standard tire setup comes with, if he was staggered he's got Eagle F1 tires which I could see those tires putting a good driver in the low-mid 12s.

SRT8TECH is the guy who holds the 12.25 if you look at his posts his corrected DA is 220ft above sea level which I only wish lol

here at our track (2210ft above sea level /w on avg 3000-3400ft Corrected DA)
stock for stock most of the 392 vs 5.0 all come down to driver skill cause they are running 13.1-13.3 (Corrected DA puts them at 12.5-12.6) all day long with the odd one cracking in the high 12.8's and 12.9's on both engines.

I hate the auto guys cause their 60' times are ridiculous lol I can't crack 2.104 for the life of me lol but the auto's in the 392 and the 5.0 are hitting 1.9s virtually every pass the bastards lol

3300-3400 DA........ lol........ I only wish of such air. We average 8500-9000 up here. I ran a 13.7 with a 2.1 60' when it was all stock with like 400 miles on it, haha.

I need to go back, I want a 13.5 before I mod anymore. I have the catback/axleback exhaust, but I don't think that adds power, It did drop 25 pounds or so. the stock mufflers vs the pype bombs I have now was crazy weight difference.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

All I've seen those 392s do at the track is spin there asses off to an embarrassing ET. Buddy of mine totaled his new SS, so he bought a 392 next. He literally kept it for about 3 months and ditched it for a 2011 GT500. He hated dragging the 392. The driver mod is there, so I sincerely blame the car more than the driver. Just too damn heavy. It was a manual 392 however, which seem to be a beast to launch as stated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SRT8 challenger VS 2013 5.0