Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Headed to the track tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by buster
I'm pretty sure you have a solid axle. Don't forget the air isn't as dense because of temperature
Buster, normally you'd be right...
But look closely.
Attached Thumbnails Headed to the track tonight-image-701500546.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 06:14 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

I think Bullits do have solid rears. Then again I don't know that much about them.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:04 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by buster
I think Bullits do have solid rears. Then again I don't know that much about them.
They do, what I'm getting at is that I swapped mine out for an 04 cobra irs.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
Would an IRS be part of the issue
I wouldn't think the IRS is an issue. Didn't seam to be hopping in your video. Just gotta figure out why the DRs aren't doing their job. The only advice I can offer is get a killer burnout. My wifes SS ran better on the nitto 555Rs on a big smoky 10 second burn out apposed to a 5 second deal the track officials like to get you to do.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
They do, what I'm getting at is that I swapped mine out for an 04 cobra irs.
Oh ok, but I still think that your biggest problem is that you probably did your runs before when it was 50 degrees or something. Now its like 80 (I'm guessing at temperatures obviously) and cold air is much denser than warm. I know my 01 used to pick up almost .1 when the sun went down and I had to adjust my dial-in the later it got. I remember watching Manny Bunginga do a 215 mph pass in 40 degree weather a few years ago. Big turbos love that cold air.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You are doing the better part of your burnout inside the water box. Might be taking too much aqua to the line/aka launching on wet tires. I spin mine for just a second or two inside the box, then roll out of the water onto dry land and let her spin another 4-5 seconds. Pick up as much of the track as you can. Drive AROUND the water and back into it as well, your front tires carry a lot of water otherwise. Its the little things man.

On the other hand, your 4.10s may simply be overpowering the DRs, but I doubt it. I pulled 1.6s on my nitto 555Rs in the SS. So they should be more than adequate.

As for your traps dropping, thats a little more complex. Could be that you are shifting too high, or tuning, or maybe there's a problem. A dyno tune should show any issues if there is one. Car is getting some age on her, so certain issues should be expected.

IRS isn't your problem. They get a bad rep on the interwebs for being bad for dargging..total BS. IRS do just fine if not better in some cases on the drag strip.

Last edited by Stone629; 06-01-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:15 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You'll get it with practice. I saw it bog one pass and spin one pass. It's all about finesse on the clutch. I'm sure you'll get it.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Thanks everyone for the responses. I appreciate the help. Although, I have been number crunching and I would like to see what you guys think. I have 3 excel spreadsheets of the weather temp and DA, 60's, 1/8 mph, 1000' mph/e.t., e.t., and trap speed. Any chance you guru's can take a look and give me some input, if there is any left lol.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1 Sheet1.pdf (28.9 KB, 29 views)
4 Sheet1.pdf (29.7 KB, 20 views)
5 Sheet1.pdf (40.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by crash; 06-01-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I don't think the runs are awful at all. At the end of the day its a basically stock 2V. Does anybody really expect it to stick 1.5-1.8 60 fts left and right? Thats tough to do considering how long it takes to get into the torque. 2.0 60 fts on a nearly stock 2V isnt the worst thing in the world.

The IRS has issues with durability and wheel hop but only at high horsepower levels. And that can be addressed with upgraded bushings/halfshafts + proper suspension tuning. Otherwise it is fine.

You might want to consider some go-fast parts or rethink what you really want to accomplish with this car. When money is tight there's not a lot you can do. I've been sitting on my hands virtually since I bought my SC for my car. I had all the power I needed but no suspension or tires to use it. I've slowly upgraded it but havent been to the track since. Kinda eager to get some drag wheels/tires and give it another go. I really need a nice stall too. Money Money Money.

Satisfaction starts with expectation in life. I'm not gonna go pout in the corner because I dont nail 1.4 60 fts like the veterans do. With time and upgrades i'll get there. Experience is very underrated at the drag strip. Its easy to sit here and see all the fancy times dudes run and then just expect it to happen for yourself.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

@Hangwire- I think my primary concern with my times is in January 2012, I had 3.73's (as well as the same mid pipe and cat-back) and all season tires that were bought used in May of 2011, driven on for 7 months, and produced my best E.T. Since then I have driven ~30k miles on the car in two years, added drag radials, 4.10's, and have yet to improve on my E.T. My 60' times have dropped from 2.25 to 2.04 on average while my E.T. has not improved. That is where my concern lies.

Quick Reply: Headed to the track tonight